PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota Autopilot

Toddy_again
29-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Hello all.I have a Riptide 55ap Minn Kota and I am just wondering if anyone had bought the parts and repaired the autopilot on their electrics themselves?
Is it very involved? Where did you get the parts?

Thanks

Toddy

zakster
29-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Do a search on minn kota. Some useful info there.

hodges4
29-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Try this mob. There very helpful with advice and supply quickly.
http://secure.northlandmarine.com/MinnKotaQuickRef.htm#Anchor##Trolling%20motors

John

Toddy_again
29-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Try this mob. There very helpful with advice and supply quickly.
http://secure.northlandmarine.com/MinnKotaQuickRef.htm#Anchor##Trolling%20motors

John

Yeah the posts about that site was the catalyst for me asking.I was really after some first hand advice of the hows and whys.Apparently this is a fairly regular occurance with these motors.
Thanks mate.

Toddy

Plastic_Magic
30-01-2010, 08:08 AM
I just sent mine straight to BLA and there doing a complete rebuild. Sucks its only 3 months old but as a seal had poped out i got them to do a whole service.

Very gud service, 2 week turnaround.

Cheers PM

Toddy_again
30-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I just sent mine straight to BLA and there doing a complete rebuild. Sucks its only 3 months old but as a seal had poped out i got them to do a whole service.

Very gud service, 2 week turnaround.

Cheers PM

I wouldnt hesitate to send mine but its seen better days and its not worth the $300 that BLA have quoted me to fix.But given that you dont get a lot of change out of 2 gorillas for a new one I thought I would have a go at it myself.

Toddy

anthony72
30-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Toddy,

just had problem with mine a 24v 65lb AP. Spent an hour or maybe 2! so pulled completely apart serviced it and now running sweetly and more importantly quietly. Mine is old too just couldn't be bothered sending away, when I would rather spend 300 towards newer model.
With the ap if board gone you can just change wiring , plug in your green and yellow wires directly into white and black that runs into gear box. (just check your colours maybe different in 55lb. That way you do not use the ap and you just run it off your foot pedal. Or replacing the ap board is simple as if thats what is gone. Just a matter of taking a photo of how it all wires going where/set up then replace slowly onto new board.

If you get the user manual you can work out what parts you need then buy through local tackle shop through bla or even ebay (us)

I only did mine because I was resigned to buying a new one and wanted to at least have a crack at fixing it first.

Toddy_again
30-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Toddy,

just had problem with mine a 24v 65lb AP. Spent an hour or maybe 2! so pulled completely apart serviced it and now running sweetly and more importantly quietly. Mine is old too just couldn't be bothered sending away, when I would rather spend 300 towards newer model.
With the ap if board gone you can just change wiring , plug in your green and yellow wires directly into white and black that runs into gear box. (just check your colours maybe different in 55lb. That way you do not use the ap and you just run it off your foot pedal. Or replacing the ap board is simple as if thats what is gone. Just a matter of taking a photo of how it all wires going where/set up then replace slowly onto new board.

If you get the user manual you can work out what parts you need then buy through local tackle shop through bla or even ebay (us)

I only did mine because I was resigned to buying a new one and wanted to at least have a crack at fixing it first.

Righto then...where is the AP board located? Is it in the head unit or is it down near the turnie thing where the pluggie bit is?

Thanks

Toddy

Toddy_again
30-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Toddy,

Did some digging with a screwdriver...with ya now.Thanks heaps.

Toddy