PDA

View Full Version : Hard line of Pinnicles overnighter 27/1/10 - 28/1/10

revs57
29-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Saw the weather kinda favourable on Wed/thurs variables peaking to a stiff occasional sea breeze that was to taper off around 8.00pm so decided to head up to m'bah Wed arv to find the stiff breeze had already kicked in at the Kawana ramp. With the promise of an improving forecast the nephew Leigh and I headed to our Northern marks into the Hards - 3hrs later still found us punching through the wind chop as we finally arrived, just in time to see the sun disappearing over the western horizon.

We quickly anchored and lines down, Leigh hooked up and got done over by a nice fish then we boated three solid moses in the dusk light - then nothing! It was the toughest slog and longest trip I'd ever had to this region which put us a little late - but again, with the promise of better things we put up with it.

I dropped back another 50mts on the anchor to take some of the jarring out 'cause we were being belted by sloppy wind chop so we could get some shuteye

Well, the lull came and went just after midnight and we awoke to a stiff 15kt breeze and capping sea for the morning bite. I must admit I said to Leigh "What the hell was I thinking" but it has been so long between drinks - I was hoping for a little action for the morning bite. I looked at the GPS and saw we were in the midst of a few marks we'd fished previously so we started a trickle of burley to see what might show up.

Well Leigh hooks up a couple of times and boated a solid Snap to 5.2kg and a good AJ to just a little over 7kg. The look on his face was enough to convince me that it was all worth while.

We headed further up into the Hard stopping at a number of rocks and ledges to eventually cobble together a mixed bag that included a nice tuskie, pearly, a couple of solid coral cod, the AJ, snap and three moses.

Seems like a lot of work for a meagre return, we worked hard and persevered - but IT WAS WORTH IT! Roll on next trip!

For those interested...

Plastics were off the menu - fish taken on XOS pillies, Squid, Mullet and hussar flesh bait.

The depth we were fishing was 65-75mts and the current was negligible, we were able to float baits down with a 6 ball.

cheers

Rhys

fishfreak01
29-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Hey Revs,

I know what you mean when sometimes you just have to go for a fish. My boat was out of action for 10 months and it nearly killed me.

At least you scored some good fish for all your trouble.

fishfreak01

dfox
29-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Good on ya Rhys! its about time you got that fishing bug back!
Its been a while since we have caught up mate. I only asked Swano today how you are going, catch up soon ... foxy

indy
29-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Good to see you back rhys havn't seen a report from you in a long time it is certainly a fair old slug getting up there if the weather isn't all that great, have just started fishing the area with good results but i have been stoping 3/4 of the way up on another couple of marks just to break the long journey up.

Couple of nice fish there well done guy's
cheers pete...

Reefmaster
29-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Gee it's been to long for you Rhys. Good to see you out and enjoying some fishing mate. We all need to catch up soon...

Cheers,
Greg

-spiro-
29-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Rhys sounds like a Epic voyage you were on. Atleast you got a feed mate. If you need some sothern marks mate let me know.

dayoo
29-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Nice one Rhys. Those look like tomato cod. Catch up soon.

Cheers
Barry

wags on the water
29-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Not bad Rhys. Good to see you got a feed.

Cheers

murf
29-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Good to put a bit of a fishy smell in the Flamin Riptide :)

still can't get over how far you fella's travel to catch a fish

top stuff

cheers Murf

hookinin
29-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Ran into wags at the boat ramp on sunday and he said you would be heading to the hards. Glad to see it worked out even if it was a hard slug but thats soon forgotten and sounds like the next trip won't be long coming.
Cheers Gaven

Wayne_Red
30-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Hi Rhys
A question in relation to the pm is sent you the other day, how many km did you travel and how many litres of fuel for that trip.
Regards Wayne

revs57
31-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks for your encouragements fellas.

FF one of Swano's sayings has caught on Flamin Riptide "just one good fish" well we got a couple - and they ahve been a lovely fresh fish chew! I do get the 10 mth between drinks thing - 2009 was a killer for me.

Foxy, hopefully this year we can feed the fishing bug and get among it a bit more. Have to make a point of catching up for an icebreaker ;)

G'day Pete, yes, nice to have done something to report on mate! Thought about finding an area to fish near by but we were trying to get to our marks before sunset. I think we'll be up there again very soon hopefully - might see you out there.

Yeah Greg, it was good to be out - the look on Leigh's face said it all - you can't put a price on that! Might have to get Olives and Cheese and the rest of the mob together for a barbie?

G'day Chris, thanks for the offer mate - great to yarn the other night

Hi Barry - what was I thinking - of course they were tomato cod! Dhoh!!! See you this week

Yep Mike, a feed is always good. We worked really hard but ended up fishing little bumps and ledges with scant show - didn't see a decent bait ball anywhere on this trip really - nothing that really fired us up which was quite strange - there is always next trip - good to get our toes back in the water

You know how it is Murph - Flamin Riptide has a reputation to be a stinky - she'd almost lost that, nice to get the blood and gutz smell back again.

Yeah Gav, not long - next weather window! I have a bit of flexi time til mid March so here's hopin - after that all the travel begins again

G'day Wayne, we overnighted around 60klm out and ended up nearly 80klm out. As you can see it was a real slog out at 3000rpm and somewhere between 18-22klm hr - the run home was a breeze - around 1 1/2 hrs @ 46klm/hr 3800-4200 rpm.The fuel guage is a little iffy to do anything really super accurate and I haven't topped her up yet but I'd reckon we used somewhere around 110-120litres. Let you know - shouldn't be too long - hopefully::)

seawind8
31-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the report, long trip but got a nice feed, I am heading up to Noosa at easter so hope to get out to the hards then, not quite so long to travel.
Cheers

FireFly
31-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for that report Rhys. Does the Hards fish okay during the daylight ours between dawn / dusk?
I have a 4.5m Bluefin and was thinking the Hards may be a possibility in winter when the more predictable weather patterns arrive (with extra fuel on board) - does this sound crazy in a 4.5 or should I forget this idea?

Thanks Rob

Wayne_Red
31-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks Rhys
Bro was is liking the F200 ATM, fuel figures for a crappy day would be great when you do top her up. Do you have tabs on the back? F200 with tabs would be a good mix for him.
Wayne

jtpython
31-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Nice one Rhys
Mixed bag and we all know how ya feel slogging it out to get to better things.
Top report mate
JT