PDA

View Full Version : Spanish,trevally,yellowfin and eyeballed by a sailfish

setthehook
28-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Gday
Headed offshore on my own today and what a day it was!! Arrived at the grounds 6am and missed a fish on the troll straight away, Doh! By 6.30 am I boated a Mack tuna on spin and soon after picked up a nice Spanish on 6kg gear. Anchored on the reef and did some high speed jigging and through out the day landed all sorts of goodies and released most. Being on my own I didn’t manage a lot of photos as the swell and rocking and rolling drove me nuts trying to use the self timer. Some of the better fish were a yet another stonker Golden trevally this time on soft plastic, A bludger trevally and also I think what is a called a Tea Leaf Trevally Let all 3 trevally go but the bludger and golden went a$$ up so I dragged them back into the boat.
I later noticed a school of Yellowfin working so i drove over and threw a 60gm sniper into the chaos, and what came out blew my mind! A massive Sailfish followed the sniper right to the boat and the fish then flared up and eye balled me for what seemed like forever! Then as quick as it came it was gone! Its bill almost hit my boat!
Later on it took a massive GT to take my mind of the sail, the GT was HUGE and black as charcoal and chased a fast retrieved raider 85 gm right to the boat but turned off at the last second....Think im going to like offshore fishing up here!
The Yellowfin turned up again and I managed to spin one up before they took off.
Other than that I spun a few more Mack tuna up throughout the arvo and a school Mackeral and then called it a day.
What a day!
Here are some snaps from today, my young bloke wanted to pose with my fish lol

jtpython
28-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Mixed up bag of pelegics there mate ........ Adrenalin rush stuff
JT

fishfreak01
28-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Thats great fishing, I love it up there.

You get a lot of mixed species which can really test your gear.

fishfreak

setthehook
29-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Certainly mixed species up here! 7 species that day alone not too mention fish lost and sighted.

Midnight
29-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Looks like a good day out. The Sailie would have been fun to see charging at the boat.

Where is "up here"?

Cheers,
Myles

setthehook
29-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Bundaberg mate, its "up" for me as i moved here from South coast NSW....

Midnight
30-01-2010, 04:58 AM
Good stuff, Bundy is a nice town. Enjoy!
Cheers,
Myles

DEANO68
30-01-2010, 06:54 AM
some nice fish there rob...good stuff...hows the leg..?..

deano..8-)

deepfried
30-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Top mixed bag Rob.

Got to love the young fellas wanting to be in photos with dads fish. At least the photos your son is in he is beside decent fish. My son atm gets photos beside bonnies and choppers.

setthehook
30-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Cheers guys!
Deano leg is much better thanks, good to be up and about again!

Jeremy
31-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Top day! Be hard to beat. 6 kg gear....are you fishing line class?

Great show on your sounder. Think I know where you might have been. Did you go out from the Baffle approx 10 nm by any chance?

setthehook
31-01-2010, 12:12 PM
6kg mono line class but some were also caught on braid. Didnt leave from baffle....no where near it :)

PAUL-H
31-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Good stuff rob,u certainly crackin some good fish well done.
went for a quicky yesterday myself nailed a few red species
gotta luv it up here.
cheers Paul