PDA

View Full Version : Gps aerial can it get signal through glass?

iricangi
28-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Just bought a new sounder and gps (separate units)

We have 2 options to install the aerial (round circular unit approx 2-3cms high) on the dash and it get signal through glass (can the unit get access to the satellite through glass no problem?

or out the front on the front deck with no interferences to the sky

5m seafarer run about

thanks iricangi

cormorant
28-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Test it by placing on your dash.

We have had 2 on the dash with good results ( no theft was the big plus and simple installation.) but the manufacturers always suggest the high point with clear sky above.

On the fully enclosed cabin we had lots of trouble that was related to a metalised film in the armourglass screens , stainless supports in the roof. Any metal or conductor between the reciever and Satelite can cause interference .

marvin
28-01-2010, 09:09 PM
I have a 178c Garmin with the built in antenna on the top of the unit, (bought one combo unit with 2 power cables and 2 transducers so I have the colour sounder plotter in both my tiny and offshore boat, just swap the head unit) positioned on the dash with armorglass infront and above, with a fibreglass hardtop directly overhead the gps, goes through this well. If you had a metal or alloy top, I can't say what would be the go, mine works fine through the glass windscreen and fibreglass hardtop. Cheers Kev.