PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Close to Cairns???

Moffy
28-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Question for those in FNQ/Cape York or familar with the area.

Where (apart from the Mareeba Wetlands - where you've got to go with a guide) is the closest area to Cairns that you have a reasonably good chance of catching a saratoga (e.g. they are rumoured to be in Tinaroo - but i've never seen one there in 20 years of fishing it).

There's plenty in the lagoons on the Holroyd and obviously up around the Wenlock and similar systems - but I was hoping to be able to chase them a bit closer to home - e.g over a long weekend rather than a longer trip).

Cheers,

Moffy.

wheezer
28-01-2010, 08:58 PM
good question...can't recall ever encountering them on eastern drainage rivers, only western...last time i caught one up this way was upper reaches of archer river

Moffy
28-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Cheers Wheezer - yeah have not heard of them in the eastern rivers either.

Was wondering if they are in the Walsh/Mitchell system as far back as just to the west of Chillagoe (if at all).

Other than that looks like i've got to get in to the Holroyd or similar - or just go into the Wenlock from Weipa on my next trip up to visit my brother.

TinarooTriumph
29-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Never heard of anybody being allowed to fish in the Mareeba Wetlands - guide or no guide. We do a lot of our field studies around the Wetlands and further up north and there are some extremely unique fish to the area, most notably Glassfish and shitloads of them. Yep... 'Toga were stocked in Tinaroo, though ended up as food for Mouth Almighty unfortunately.

You won't find any in the Walsh system, though you might get lucky in the Mitchell. Might pay to give MRWMG (Mitchell River watershed) a call or even shoot em' of an email. http://www.mitchell-river.com.au/.

Wish the Jardine & the Wenlock were a little closer to us!

Theo

Moffy
29-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Cheers Theo,

Re the Mareeba Wetlands - you used to be able to pay to fish it with a guide (Terry Holman I think) - not sure if its still the case - but it is still listed on Fishing Cairns.

Not so keen on the cost though - would just about fund a week long trip up the cape...

Looks like the Wenlock it is next time i'm up in Weipa for a stint - if I can get away from the Salt...

Cheers,

Moffy