PDA

View Full Version : Tubing behind a tinny

crazboutfishin
28-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Hi everyone, i just purchased a 4.2m Blue Fin Rogue with an elec start 30hp Suzuki (all new). I was wanting to take it tubing and knee boarding but was wondering whether it will have enough power and whether it will cause any harm to the boat (being only a tinny). the construction of the boat is fully welded and nothing it Pop riveted.

with me alone in the boat it does about 26 knots and it isnt run in fully yet.

if i were to take it i would have only the bare necessities in the boat and only one other as spotter.

Let me know if i can or cant.

Cheers
Crazy

wiz
28-01-2010, 09:06 AM
you should have no problems with the tinny, if you have two handles at the stern attach the bridle there.
just depends on your expectations as to how fast and what weights you are going to tow.
A mate of mine has a 420 dory 30hp Yam , he and his mates have fun

supertinny
28-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Mates of mine have done the wake board thing resulting in welds cracking. One was a hornet the other a stacer. Bloke that repaired them said it was from towing causeing the boat frame to twist.

finga
28-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Ask the retailer if it's got a warranty against damage if used for the purposes you want to do.
If he says nope then that would be a sign not to do it.
If he says yep, no worries get it in writing and go for it.

crazboutfishin
28-01-2010, 11:00 AM
supertinny, i heard also that wakeboarding and skiing can result in cracking as there is more drag in turns etc. i also heard that this may not be the case with tubes and knee boards as it is skimming across the surface...any thoughts?

Finga, good idea will conact them

Cheers
Crazy

Mtx
28-01-2010, 12:14 PM
check with your insurance as well. You have to have insurance to tow people.

mcchaddy
28-01-2010, 12:52 PM
check with your insurance as well. You have to have insurance to tow people.

Since when?

Mtx
28-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Each boat I have taken insurance out on, I have always been asked if I use it for Ski etc. I have always answere no and been told that I would not be covered if there was to be an incident whilst towing unless I selected it on the insurance policy.

3rd Party person can be quite costly without the right insurance.

mcchaddy
28-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes it's probably a good idea to have insurance but it is not compulsory. You wont get in trouble with the police/MSQ for not having it.

The way things are going I can't belive they haven't made it compulsory so that you pay 3rd party insurance when you pay your boat rego. Just like you do for cars.

the gecko
28-01-2010, 02:21 PM
i also heard that this may not be the case with tubes and knee boards as it is skimming across the surface...any thoughts?

Cheers
Crazy

Id like to know about this too. Im thinking of towing a tube for kids behind my Alleycraft 4.1 with 35hp. Is it safe for the welds or not? Is it OK if only done twice a year?

cheers
Andrew

Mtx
28-01-2010, 02:22 PM
yes, I see my previous comment was not said correctly.
I did mean just contact your insurance company before towing to ensure you are covered.

Cheers

bar raider
28-01-2010, 05:40 PM
me and the mates did it for years behind a 3.75 bluefin v-bow and 18 hp tohatsu.

kneeboard, surfing, tubing and us lightweight folk could even get up on a wakeboard.

no damage at all.

crazboutfishin
28-01-2010, 10:19 PM
bar raider, really? that gives me heaps of reassurance. none of my mates are big and we are only really doing tubing and knee boarding.

spelchek
29-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Each boat I have taken insurance out on, I have always been asked if I use it for Ski etc. I have always answere no and been told that I would not be covered if there was to be an incident whilst towing unless I selected it on the insurance policy.

That was one of the first questions my insurance broker asked me when I asked her to get some quotes on insurance for my sea jay as well, FYI.

MyEscape
29-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Every insurer has always asked me whether towing/skiing will be done. I wouldn't do it unless you're insured for it.

So there's 2 issues now, insurance and whether your hull is up for it.

26 knots isn't that fast when you consider it is just you in the boat, and probably no gear etc. It's probably not going to be much faster run in.

I'm sure the regulations for skiing is such that you need an observer, perhaps that is the same for towing a board? or perhaps not. I think you would want to check on this as well.

Steve

crazboutfishin
29-01-2010, 04:11 PM
went out today and the boat performed great. we just did knee boarding and tubing and was able to get some pretty good whips etc.

Cheers Crazy

black runner
29-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I've towed tubes and kneeboards with both my tinnies - one a 4m and now the 460 with no probs.... wouldn't expect any hull damage from doing so either as both well constructed and braced in the transom area. IMO towing in good conditions would be easier on the structure than rough water work (not towing).

Cheers

crazboutfishin
31-01-2010, 10:26 AM
true blackrunner thats a good point. yeh the boat seemed to perform great.