PDA

View Full Version : Results of Moreton Bay (Redcliffe) Billfish Challenge

sleepygreg
27-01-2010, 11:06 PM
After recovering from the tidying up after the tournament, here are the results.

First Billfish Tagged - John Smuck (Liquid Assett)
Last Billfish Tagged - Rowan Argent (Nail 'Em)
Heaviest Other Species - Gordon Price (Priceless)
Champion Boat 7m and under - Nail'Em
Champion Boat over 7m - Cool Runnings
Champion Billfish Day 1 - John Smuck (Liquid Assett)
Champion Billfish Day 2 - Ben Kelly (Cool Runnings)
Champion Junior - Brian Zelow ( Cool Runnings)
Chamion Female - Kelly Jensen ( Animal)
Champion Male - John Smuck ( Liquid Assett)
Champion Overall - Brian Zellow ( Cool Runnings)

Team placements overall (Calcutta)

1st - Cool Runnings
2nd - Priceless
3rd - Liquid Assett

We had 32 Boats fish the Tournament - with 14 under 7m boats ( including the brave crew off North Western in their 4.35m tiller steer tinny).

Raw`stats for the weekend were:

181 strikes
135 hookups
84 captures/tags

10 black marlin
3 sailfish
43 Wahoo
6 mahi mahi (Dolphinfish)
22 wouldnt weigh (fish under 8kg)

Its also worth noting that all the fish caught on Cool Runnings were caught by Junior Anglers, though next year they leave the Junior ranks and become Senior anglers. The first time this has been done in this tournament. These kids are the future of our sport...and young Ben Kelly is already a competent boat handler, and angler - all credit to his dad Mick, for teaching him the ropes on their 35' Carribean.

Congrats also to the crew on Priceless, who were somewhat underdogs, but were as keen as mustard, with a great boat (26 Whittley Sea Legend) skippered by Gordon Price, with Phil T and Tim U on board (abley coached over time by Smithy).

And well done to Nailem....the under 7's was probably more hotly contested than the over 7's...judging by the keenness of the anglers.

A sour note to the weekend was the DQ of 8 anglers on saturday and 1 on Sunday due to leader length and hook rigging being outside the rules. really dissappointing as we went through in detail at the briefing night the leader length issues and made people aware that ALL fish/tag cards presented to the weighmaster had to be accompanied by the complete outfit used for the capture for checking against regulations.

The positives for the weekend were the number of fish caught (though the beakie numbers were low), the food at dinner was great, the partying afterwards went down well, and there were a lot of happy anglers taking home Big Screen TV's, Freezers, Esky's, Dishwashers, Bar fridges, Microwave ovens, and lots of other decent prizes from the last man standing draw. Over $30,000 worth of prizes.

Thank you to all who participated, and I look forward to seeing you all again next year. Lets hope the weather gods look on us favourably as they did this year.

Cheers
Greg

reel scream
28-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the report.

Well done Nail'em. Makes up for the quiet day friday. Thanks again for the smokes.

Cheers
Scott

ooglie74
28-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the round up greg and a great comp!

What bout the beers Scott?

Cheers Troy

bigjimg
28-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the round up Greg.I will have to enter next year for a crack,it will have been ten years since.Will have to get Noel and a crew together i think.I need a new watch,won second prize in the last man standing back in 2001,was a fantastic comp.Jim

Midnight
28-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks Greg,
I can attest to Ben's boat handling skills, if you read this Ben, well done on parking the boat on Tuesday morning. It was a pleasure to watch, and even more so given your age. It made my day to see a competent young skipper drive a boat on the sticks like that. Keep it up mate.
Cheers,
Myles