PDA

View Full Version : Where to from here.

tropicrows
27-01-2010, 04:35 PM
If my Navman 5607 tracker plays up again, it’s going in the bin and I will be on the market for a new GPS.

So before the tinny and tackle show, I need your input.

What should I buy or what would you buy with $1,400 roughly. Having checked thru some previous posts it seems that most GPS units have problems, some more than others.

I don’t have a preferred brand just want a good, reliable GPS unit, needs to have a decent size screen. At this stage the Lowrance HDS-7 is looking the winner, but what do you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tropicrows
29-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Ok

No one has any thoughts, now that's a first. I have been off line for a day and a bit, I came back thinking of all the responces, and NOT a one. :-[

tropicrows
29-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Bump bump.

frankgrimes
29-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Mate I've got a Lowrance 5300i, not overly impressed with it(Can't find sats periodically, and my hand held garmin can) - A Garmin would be my choice.

timddo
29-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I only paid $600 for mine from the states, Standard horizon cp180 and c-map coast of Qld.

Marlin_Mike
29-01-2010, 12:41 PM
lowrance 5200c 495 bucks on special with full warranty. they were selling out just prior to the the new HD units coming out.

Mind you havent got a map card in it. Yet

Mike

honda900
29-01-2010, 04:05 PM
I have a garmin 172c and a lowrance HDS8 both are good, the navionics card has better detail offshore brisbane.

The garmin is easier to use and hasnt missed a beat.

I use the garmin for the gps and the lowrance as a sounder and backup gps unit.

Regards
Honda.

lee8sec
29-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Do you want a GPS only or combo unit?
I have got a HDS5M & a HDS5X side by side, the GPS has been good so far. See my post on updating. Leigh

krazyfisher
29-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Standard horizon cp180 and find it good also like the maps with the green zones and cheap I think I paid under $700 here

fatovich
29-01-2010, 07:38 PM
I would consider the Raymarine gear, A50D is 1400 with a VHF radio at Whitworths. Not a huge screen, but i find mine fine. There is a 7" GPS only for 2K. Mine is only a few months old but no issues, I have crewed on a few yachts with raymarine gear and it has been pretty solid.

revs57
29-01-2010, 09:09 PM
G'day Bruce,

I have a garmin 172c and am looking at upgrading to another Garmin - probably the 4010 and eventually put a radar on it...the Garmin would have to be the easiest gps to get around in and being techno challenged that is a huge plus. I'm sure you'd find a garmin in your price range and never regret it

cheers

Rhys

dreemon
30-01-2010, 07:00 AM
I just bought a garmin 451s combo, the pre loaded maps seem good enough not to have to buy the G2 vision, the screen is small at 4 in but you get used to it but could easily get used to a bigger screen too, for a couple of hundred more you get one more inch that I wish I spent,

it's easy to use after about a hr playing with it

I got mine off the net for $ 700 unused , he sold it as an unwanted gift.

I'll have to start anouther thread on what screen to watch, duel freq, split zoom, full screen , etc

TimiBoy
30-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Bruce,

Why don't you give Bill a ring? He might also have good advice, but I suspect Rhys is on the money.

That's if you can't afford the best - FURUNO!!!

Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
30-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Bruce,

A mate of mine has the Garmin 451 in an Ally Craft 510 Premier and IMO it's too small. If you are willing to wait a few months, I'll be upgrading the combo in my boat.
Currently running a Lowrance LCX-110c. The unit is guaranteed not to make you sick.....;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Wags

sorry mate, didn't see the thread.

tropicrows
01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
A lot of good advice coming thru. I will spend a few weekends looking at some of the units suggested. I might have to put the upgrade on the back burner for a while, and just hope the Navman keeps working.
I went to court last week to settle my divorce and it ended up costing me a bit more cash than expected. That's life however !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wags, I will need to come out in your tub and check it out, I'll bring some sick bags for you to lol. ;D

wags on the water
01-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Wags, I will need to come out in your tub and check it out, I'll bring some sick bags for you to lol. ;D

If you consider bringing the bags you'll need to bring swimmers and some floaties, cause you'll only throw up ONCE from inside my boat. ;)

tropicrows
01-02-2010, 12:26 PM
That's what i like to see, a bit of compassion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TimiBoy
01-02-2010, 12:39 PM

Careful Bruce, you know how anal Wags is when he's a Deckie - he expects the same from YOU when you're HIS Deckie...

Standards impossible to achieve, because he is the best Deckie there ever was!

Cheers,

Tim