PDA

View Full Version : Wello Point boat ramp debacle

Bowser
27-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Well I am glad to see that the Redlands council has got it so right with the development of the Wellington Point reserve (sarcasm dripping from every word). Yesterday boaties were faced with having to park their cars and trailers halfway back to Wello due to this development and the reduction of trailer parking spaces. There were moms and children wandering over the ramp and across the new walkway at the top of the ramp without any thought of the dangers they face and the problems they cause. At one stage there where 3 children at the bottom of the ramp playing around, paddling throwing pebbles into the water while boats were lining up to load. All the while that great monstrosity that somehow reminds me of an Aztec temple and sacrificial alter stood brooding menacingly over the scene.I wonder how much was contributed to "campaign funds" to get that approved?

Lucky_Phill
27-01-2010, 06:54 AM
I would suggest a stern letter to the local member and also council letting them know that if any children or in fact person, is injured because of their lack of foresight and planning, that injury will be attributed to them.

The same or similar letter should go to the Developer.

Please follow it up with a phone call.

Further, when you get details, pm them to me and I will take this up with ECOfishers and push the issue from their end.

Cheers Phill

4x4frog
27-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Haven't seen it as yet but if the same type of thinking behind the parks in Brisbane lately is the same type of design used at the ramp, the place is doomed before it starts.
It seems the current brain's trust of landscape/town planners is all about heaps of looks and no function at all. When I was a dental technician the first thing I learned from my boss in the first minute of work was....form follows function! I remember that to this day and if those in public works thought like that, maybe we'd get some useful public amenities occasionally instead of the eye sores we now get.

Might have to take a trip down to Wello when I get 4x4frog back on the road Thursday/Friday.

Mrs Ronnie H
27-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi
Can someone post some pics of it. Wouldn't mind seeing how they have 'beautified' the place.

Ronnie

Moonlighter
27-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Fair dinkum guys, this issue was well and truly covered on Ausfish in the News section some time ago.

Partly as a result of Ausfishers efforts, we achieved a serious redesign that was backed by the local Councillor Wendy Boglary. I was one that put a fair bit of time and effort into helping Cr Boglary sort it out, along with other local fishos line Ron who gave practical advice and opinions, suggestions and ideas, many of which she was able to get included. Not all, of course, but many.

I have not followed up since the design was signed off to see how construction went to plan, but pretty well everyone involved (ie those who actually did something rather than just whinged about it) believed that the end result was pretty good and balanced out the needs of all groups reasonably well - not perfect and still some reservations, but a damn side better that what was originally planned by the Redland Council Parks people.

The fact is that Wello Pt foreshore is a shared area and yesterday, Bowser, was Australia Day and of course the place was absolutely chocker with people and little kids - you were surprised at that???? Excuse my sarcasm.

Rather than whinge and whine, how about some reasoned and pratcical suggestions about how it could be improved?

Off my soapbox now......

ML

backhoe
27-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I would suggest a stern letter to the local member and also council letting them know that if any children or in fact person, is injured because of their lack of foresight and planning, that injury will be attributed to them.

The same or similar letter should go to the Developer.

Please follow it up with a phone call.

Further, when you get details, pm them to me and I will take this up with ECOfishers and push the issue from their end.

Cheers Phill

Unfortunately the local members don't seem to have any obligation with regard to public safety. We had some issues with dogs off leads harrassing our kids as they were playing on the sand between wello pt and king island. Local council member says not my problem as it's a state controlled area, local state politician passes the buck to the environment minister. Basically answer from environment minister was there are no laws governing dogs on that stretch of sand and the public safety factor was completely ignored. What are these idiots getting paid for???

Have also spoken to the local member about cars without trailers using the boat trailer parks down there. Her response "They must get booked sometimes because I get emails complaining about it" Should be a great money spinner for the Redlands Council on a weekend. Last weekend at Sunday lunch counted 25 cars without trailers occupying the trailer spots. Unfortunately it's become a spot to be avoided on weekends.

Bowser
28-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Fair dinkum guys, this issue was well and truly covered on Ausfish in the News section some time ago.

Partly as a result of Ausfishers efforts, we achieved a serious redesign that was backed by the local Councillor Wendy Boglary. I was one that put a fair bit of time and effort into helping Cr Boglary sort it out, along with other local fishos line Ron who gave practical advice and opinions, suggestions and ideas, many of which she was able to get included. Not all, of course, but many.

I have not followed up since the design was signed off to see how construction went to plan, but pretty well everyone involved (ie those who actually did something rather than just whinged about it) believed that the end result was pretty good and balanced out the needs of all groups reasonably well - not perfect and still some reservations, but a damn side better that what was originally planned by the Redland Council Parks people.

The fact is that Wello Pt foreshore is a shared area and yesterday, Bowser, was Australia Day and of course the place was absolutely chocker with people and little kids - you were surprised at that???? Excuse my sarcasm.

Rather than whinge and whine, how about some reasoned and pratcical suggestions about how it could be improved?

Off my soapbox now......

ML

OK well on mine now, yes it was Australia day and I was there early to ensure that I wasn't affected. I know there was a thread about it, but did you really achieve anything or did Boglary and the stooges just flim flam you?

There were cars parked in the trailer places and instead of having them towed they were allowed to sit there!

Trailer parking is much reduced so we just loose out and it is deemed OK by you or so it would appear. The was never enough trailer parking there in the first place but it was adequate. On any have decent day the car parks were overflowing, now it will happen on a half decent day.

Cars were driving the wrong way around the circle causing congestion and obstructing traffic.

Kids were playing, unattended, on the ramp while boats were being on and off loaded.

Wello reserve is a festering sore that has the monied residents of the point calling the tune on its use and hours. I only have to offer the great wall behind the restaurant as proof of the power of the $.

Moonlighter
28-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Bowser, if you had done anything, you would have seen the major differences between the original and final plans yourself, and you would have been able to count the number of designated trailer carparks before/after the redesign (Fact = no change, counted them myself).

Yes, we did point out the likely problems with cars now being directed the "wrong" way around, and also the pedestrian crossing point is in a questionable position and the issues about pedestrian safety were raised, but these issues were worse in the original design as anyone who did anything constructive will tell you.

Further, we managed to get them to fix up the silly angle they had designed for the "boat preparation" area directly opposite the ramp.

Always better in these discussions to deal in facts in my experience.

ML

Angryant
28-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Aahhh, the early bird catches the worm.......when I returned to the ramp about 10.30am I did see about 8 - 10 cars and trailers parked up on the main road when going home BUT....surely you would realise that being Australia Day parking was always going to be difficult at Wello regardless of the re-works or not. There was a que to launch at 4am when I was putting my boat in. From what I hear Raby Bay ramp wasn't much better. Maybe a lesson for next year.

Overall, from what I observed Council seemed to be doing as best job they could managing traffic going to the point and I believe they had a shuttle bus taking people who had to park up on Main Road.

Ever heard of the 6 P's - prior preparation prevents p#ss poor performance.

SUPERDAFF
08-02-2010, 12:28 AM
OK well on mine now, yes it was Australia day and I was there early to ensure that I wasn't affected. I know there was a thread about it, but did you really achieve anything or did Boglary and the stooges just flim flam you?

There were cars parked in the trailer places and instead of having them towed they were allowed to sit there!

Trailer parking is much reduced so we just loose out and it is deemed OK by you or so it would appear. The was never enough trailer parking there in the first place but it was adequate. On any have decent day the car parks were overflowing, now it will happen on a half decent day.

Cars were driving the wrong way around the circle causing congestion and obstructing traffic.

Kids were playing, unattended, on the ramp while boats were being on and off loaded.

Wello reserve is a festering sore that has the monied residents of the point calling the tune on its use and hours. I only have to offer the great wall behind the restaurant as proof of the power of the $.

Bowser old son, Moonlighter is absolutely correct - these things need actions not rants.

Many months ago, I phoned local Councillor, Wendy Boglary and met her on site with my boat behind my car. I had two other friends bring their boats sdown as well. Wendy was great value - the plan on Council's web site is wrong. We inspected the working drawings rather than the web-based schematics. There is no longer is a "reverse circle" as some people think. The net number of car-trailer parks is in effect the same. In the past, when cars have parked in trailer parks, I have photographed them and sent them to Council to highlight the problem. Should the Council plan on the web site be accurate? Of course it should. Should it have been re-worked? Of course it should have ... and it was.

In terms of Australia Day, Council provided a shuttle bus for ramp patrons which I thought was an excellent idea. In a related vein, when I went to the ramp, on Oz Day, there was not one car in trailer spaces.

Yes, I share your concerns about walking paths and the ramp head, but the bottom line remains: When you have an issue with Council, send them a note, arrange a meeting and have a constructive discussion.

Show them how difficult it is to back a 6.25 metre boat backwards around "nose-in" diagonally parked cars with kids skipping around as youngster always have and always will do.

I did and it made the point very clearly.

Others have approached the subject from different angles and that has brought about the changes. However, cavalier treatment of the facts and of Wendy's willingness to assist in this matter (as she has in other issues I have approached her about), does a disservice to those who take the time to bring about sensible change.

Not a rev mate - just a plea to use your obvious enthusiasm and passion a little more productively.