PDA

View Full Version : Scarby canals - kayak breaming

Just_chips
26-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Had a couple of sessions breaming in the canals at Scarborough lately with my two of my boys either on their yak or on the back of mine. Fish have been pretty active and casting to pontoons where you can either see or hear the fish feeding has produced the reults, managed some decent sized models also (up to 34cm).

Some fish came home for dinner to feed our family of five but plenty more released.

Photos from a few sessions on Sunday and today.

Kev

tug_tellum
29-01-2010, 02:56 PM
HI Kev. Do you fish the canals at Scarborough very often? Do you use plastics,I am thinking about giving it a try when I get my Canoe up & running. Should be a relaxing way to fish, & it is still daylight till 7pm. Tug Tellum

culbara
29-01-2010, 09:30 PM
i kknow it is legal to take bream but cant help feeling if yo put them back they woulld be there next time and a 1kg bream is about 20 to 25 years old so long and you dont get much meat off them and they are such fun to catch on light gear Just a obversation

tug_tellum
30-01-2010, 08:07 AM
If a 1kg bream is 20 to 25 years old, How old do they get before they die of old age. I am not a great fan of bream for a feed but do enjoy the fight they put up especially on light gear, so I do enjoy the hunt more.
tug tellum

lifestyle
31-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Top stuff mate . good to you are getting the kids outside and enjoying them self as a family. I bet the had a blast of a time

Just_chips
31-01-2010, 09:19 PM
i kknow it is legal to take bream but cant help feeling if yo put them back they woulld be there next time and a 1kg bream is about 20 to 25 years old so long and you dont get much meat off them and they are such fun to catch on light gear Just a obversation

Well good for you boofhead. Over the course of 3 days me and my kids caught well over 60 fish. From these 60 fish, more than 50 of them were over the current QLD legal length of 23cm, probably 70% of these legal fish were 27-28cm and of these 50 legal fish we kept 11. None of which were anywhere near your magical 1kg mark.

So as you can see we kept enough for an immediate feed for my family as my kids love eating fish. We also released a large amount of fish so that "they would be there next time".

I preach the catch and release thing to my kids regularly trying to encourage them to fish for fun and not to kill animals for no reason. I also teach them how to dispatch them humanely and look after the catch to ensure that they keep their premium eating qualities.

Please keep future observations to yourself, there has been way too many pathetic little swipes at people catching a legal feed on this forum, after all this is a fishing forum.

Kev

Just_chips
31-01-2010, 09:29 PM
HI Kev. Do you fish the canals at Scarborough very often? Do you use plastics,I am thinking about giving it a try when I get my Canoe up & running. Should be a relaxing way to fish, & it is still daylight till 7pm. Tug Tellum

Yeah mate all caught on plastics. Light hidden weight jigheads and gulp shrimps.

I've only fished in the canals a couple of times as I'm not a huge fan of the pontoon bashing breamin thing, but now that the kids have a kayak also they need somewhere they can hone their skills not only in the yak but also with their fishing.

The canals provide just this opportunity with little to no current for them to contend with and very little affect from prevailing winds, the boats at scarby are pretty well behaved also with most observing the 6 knot no wash rule which means it is a safe environment for the kids to paddle. The fact that they can catch a few fish is just a bonus.

Maybe when they get enough confidence I will take them out the front of Redcliffe where the big bream hang out and get em a few on hardbodied lures or on the surface, problem out here is you need the wind and waves up a bit to get good results. Much more fun than deadsticking gulps.

Kev

cjr65000
03-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Kev,

Nice work mate and good to see you out there having fun with your kids!!

I'm with you, catch for the thrill not the kill, but there is nothing wrong with getting a feed while you do it.

Cheers

Chris

sandbankmagnet
04-02-2010, 10:34 PM
That would have been great fun for the family. That's the biggest thing. You shouldn't have to explain yourself for keeping a feed of bream. Anyone that thinks bream are in short supply should probably take up another sport. Also, a 34cm bream is not a 1kg bream. Not even close.

I don't mind eating bream, particularly the nice silver surf bream. I set my personal size limit of 27cm for keeping. Plenty of meat on them if you know what you're doing.

.:::stotty:::.
05-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Nice session mate, gotta love the kayak fishing

LostNearBribie
09-02-2010, 10:39 PM
You are a legend Kev, great read.
Good luck in the comps this year mate.

Creek Vermin
11-02-2010, 03:31 AM
On ya kev. How many jacks have you hooked mate??

Just_chips
11-02-2010, 05:35 AM
None at Scarby yet. I head to the passage creeks for jacks but have'nt done much of that this summer, last year I got a few with the biggest going 47, they cause you some grief in the yak dragging it into snags etc. The buggers cost me a small fortune in lost HB's as I spend alot of time trolling for them.

Kev