PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Thru Hull with a Transom Mount 1Kw transducer

Whale Bone
26-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi all,
Having trouble getting any decent reading at anything over about 10knots or in any mild weather. There is alot of foamy water around the back of the boat when moving and due to the the twin motor set up the transducer has to be positioned pretty close to the prop wash(the boat is a cat). I am running a Furuno fcv 585 with a 1Kw dual frequency transducer. I am looking into changing over to a through hull tranducer as there is easy access through the inspection port. Just wonderin if anyone has experience with setting up a through hull transducer and what options there are. I have heard people reccoment a wet box and some say no wet box. Any help is aprreciated.
Cheers

sparky54
26-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi Whale Bone
I have a [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Airmar P79 In Hull Transducer on my Seafarer Victory connected to a HDS 8, these are a small wet box adjustable up to 22 degree hull. I am getting a bottom reading at 44 kts.

captain rednut
26-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi Whale Bone
I have a [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Airmar P79 In Hull Transducer on my Seafarer Victory connected to a HDS 8, these are a small wet box adjustable up to 22 degree hull. I am getting a bottom reading at 44 kts.
hey whalebone do a search on transducers as there was a good thread to read recently! anyway i have the same combo as you and i wetboxed mine and now it works at full throttle.
cheers jim

siegfried
27-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Ive done it with the M258 like yours ,worrks good and any loss (i cant see any) in power shooting through is compensaated by being in clear water and being able to up the gain(TVG on high) and not have to erase clutter etc as much, My box is glassed timber but big pvc pipe, perspex etc cut to shape will do .The yellow airmar box will also fit that ducer. You wont be dissapointed, Ian (findingtime) ,I think has in hull in his cat.

hinchy
28-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Hi all,
Having trouble getting any decent reading at anything over about 10knots or in any mild weather. There is alot of foamy water around the back of the boat when moving and due to the the twin motor set up the transducer has to be positioned pretty close to the prop wash(the boat is a cat). I am running a Furuno fcv 585 with a 1Kw dual frequency transducer. I am looking into changing over to a through hull tranducer as there is easy access through the inspection port. Just wonderin if anyone has experience with setting up a through hull transducer and what options there are. I have heard people reccoment a wet box and some say no wet box. Any help is aprreciated.
Cheers
Hi Whalebone

I have installed shoot through hull tranducers [ for furuno FCV620's ] on 3 three cat's over the past 2/3 years and they have worked very well over all speed ranges.I did try to transom mount one and had very poor results as the water turbulence and distribution around the hulls and tunnel caused havoc.I had access through rear inspection ports and installed the tranducers according to instructions [very easy job] and they all showed the same consistent results.

Kind Regards

Hinchy