PDA

View Full Version : Kevlacat 1900 vs Sailfish 2200

julian1
26-01-2010, 03:33 PM
ok, my mate is still on the search, and has come up with this comparison as the KC1900 is still high on the list and really he is trying to keep the engines at a pair of 90's or less. The Sailfish is well set up especially as you can have the hardtop and full glass etc. How would the performance compare between these two obviouslt the KC is glass but this does not always equal better performance and the Sailfish is slightly bigger.

any experience ? I know Perko went from a Sailfish to a KC2400 but these are bigger set ups

cheers

Julian

Smithy
27-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Julian,

along the way Perko's family history in boats has been something like a 5.6 Quinnie, 5.5 Seafarer Ventura, 5.2 KC, 5m Shark Cat Sportsman, 4.6 Cruiscraft Lure, 5.9 Poly, 4.5 Poly, 4.1 Poly, 5.2 UB, 18 foot Eagle Ray, 5.85 Mclay, 1800 Shark Cat/Noosa Cat, 5.5 Sailfish, 6.5 Sailfish and now the 2400 KC. I think his take on the whole Sailfish V KC thing is the Sailfish's are less dippy divier than the KC but pretty similar in what they can do for speed and how they handle any sea. He liked the Sailfish's but just got sick of the oxidisation of painted alloy boats and trying to keep them looking good when there is only so much you can do. I always reckon glass is heaps easier to keep clean anyway. I still reckoned his 6.5 Sailfish had a bit of an alloy jarring sensation about it compared to a glass boat but he loved it. I think he likes the KC2400 as the ultimate for a trailerable boat as you can push them hard and run faster for any given sea state and that is important for them running out to the reef from Gladstone and Turkey Beach where they operate out of. You don't hear many people raving about 1900KCs but obviously all the 5.2KC boys love theirs!

julian1
27-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks Smithy, i appreciate your comments, as an offsahore outfit then the Sailfish could be the better set up as you can have the full glass hardtop and still arun a pair of 90's. The KC2400 would be awsome but then again he will be getting into a big boat and having to run 115's or 140's and they still dont do it with a full glass hardtop yet ( i am led to believe its on the drawing board).

yes Ally boats and corrosion/bubbling paint is a bugga as is the extra noise although when foam filled it gets very close to glass.

anyone else with any thoughts ??

Noelm
27-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I owned an alloy cat for a long time (not a Sailfish) and I doubt I would ever own another one, some reasons already mentioned, plus the added feature of it needing welding up quite a few times, I also know of another one that had very serious construction/strength issues, but as a fishing boat it was great, just the minus's V the pluses did not weigh up like a glass cat does (well for me anyway)

perko
27-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Gee you have a good memory Smithy. I had even forgotten about some of those boats we have had.
Julian, what model is the new Sailfish 2200 the same as? A 6 Meter I am thinking if it has got 90's.

julian1
27-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Gee you have a good memory Smithy. I had even forgotten about some of those boats we have had.
Julian, what model is the new Sailfish 2200 the same as? A 6 Meter I am thinking if it has got 90's.

yep thats the one i think its 6.2m and now named the 2200, so yes on the old measurements it would be the same as the 6.0m, he is thinking of getting it in the 2.6m beam too.

John Buoy
27-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I owned an alloy cat for a long time (not a Sailfish) and I doubt I would ever own another one, some reasons already mentioned, plus the added feature of it needing welding up quite a few times, I also know of another one that had very serious construction/strength issues, but as a fishing boat it was great, just the minus's V the pluses did not weigh up like a glass cat does (well for me anyway)
Ditto for me Julian after having been involved with 3 in the 5.2, 6.0 and 7.5 mt range albeit none of them were sailfish.
Offshore fine but chop hmmm not for me ;)

Regards Frank