PDA

View Full Version : Reel for Jigwrex (PE3 OH)

frankgrimes
26-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Got one of the above for a really good price today, and looking to use it for light trolling/occasional jigging/live baiting.

Budget for the reel is pretty flexible, and I was leaning towards one of the smaller Tyrnos (12/16), but really like the torsa 16 also, but at double the price, it's hard to justify.

Hoping for some feedback on both - obviously the torsa is in a different league, and looks to be a very versatile reel....decisions decisions!!

Other option is the trini 16, but not a huge fan of star drag.

If I go torsa, os purchase would be the option, so should save myself a few $

Mick

dog tooth
26-01-2010, 03:41 PM
saltist 20 LD or normal model
what about avet sx

frankgrimes
26-01-2010, 04:03 PM
saltist 20 LD or normal model
what about avet sx

Got a saltist 50h(star), and tyrnos 20 - prefer the tyrnos...to be honest have not checked out the new ld saltist range.

Avet are a complete unknown to me....certainly read well on paper.

dodgyone
26-01-2010, 04:29 PM
I have a similar set up running an Accurate 270 Boss Magnum. Nice and light combo that has some big balls.

Maybe look at the new Shimano Talica. Not played with one yet but look impressive.

Torsa will be a bit of an overkill I think. Too heavy for the rod.Im running a 16n on a PE4 Jigwrex and its borderline.

frankgrimes
26-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I have a similar set up running an Accurate 270 Boss Magnum. Nice and light combo that has some big balls.

Maybe look at the new Shimano Talica. Not played with one yet but look impressive.

Torsa will be a bit of an overkill I think. Too heavy for the rod.Im running a 16n on a PE4 Jigwrex and its borderline.

Thanks mate - where'd you get your accurate from? Talica looks bloody nice...the 10/12 look a great match to the jigwrex

Mick

dodgyone
26-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I bought my Accurate through Ebay US. Bit of a gamble as I hadnt held one in the flesh before. Went ahead and bought it and not stopped playing with it since.

Bluewater Tackle in WA is the agent for them though. Had mine serviced there.

GPB
26-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Tackleworld Kawana as well as Jones's Tackle in Brissie are Accurate agents

krazyfisher
26-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I have the same rod and use a trinadad tn40n and find it to be a great light combo

Spot82
28-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I have a Torsa 16 on a Loomis Pelagic 15-25lb which i use for bottom bashing as well as a Torsa 30 I use for bottom bashing and they are an awesome reel! I sold a Tyrnos 12 to upgrade to the torsa 16. If you purchase from the US you can get one for around $550 aud shipped, bargain in my books and you wont be disappointed.

That being said the tyrnos is a good trolling reel for the cash but just not in the same league as the torsa. In addition you can swap the drag cams on the torsa to suit the different styles of fishing you want to do with it, i found the drag curve on the tyrnos not very favourable for bottom fishing.

Go to a store have a play with both and then make up your mind

Anthony

Anthony

Scott nthQld
28-01-2010, 01:55 PM
for me I reckon you just can't go past a saltist lever drag loading up with 15kg braid, probably a 20 or 30TH LD no level wind (pointless IMO on narrow spool OH's, and just someting else that can go wrong) I have a 40H (star drag) on my t-curve 500 and I think its brilliant, though i did upgrade the drag to carbontex with lapped and ground washers so now its a serious bottom fishing and jigging machine.

JB
28-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Look further into the talica mate.. u wont be dissapointed. Shimano have really hit the nail on the head. Reel seller on ebay is the best.

frankgrimes
28-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Look further into the talica mate.. u wont be dissapointed. Shimano have really hit the nail on the head. Reel seller on ebay is the best.

Cheers mate - yeah the 12 looks very nice.