PDA

View Full Version : manual or auto inflatable life jackets question ?

sharkcat one
25-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Looking at buying an inflatable life jacket, just wanting to know what the pro's and con's of of either manual or auto jackets, and which brands people prefer.

Mad-One
26-01-2010, 06:13 AM
If trapped under a boat with auto inflateable try getting out. I'd go manual

Cheers Phil

Trekka273
26-01-2010, 06:59 AM
I would go auto. What happens if you hit your head and are knocked out as you fall over the side? It has been known to happen. With a manual jacket, you end up in the water unable to pull the inflation tab. With the auto jacket you don't have this problem.

bugman
26-01-2010, 07:03 AM
Relly in tassie stumbled on the beach while launching the tinny and half fell into the water. The Auto stormy sea inflated.

Either way I'd get a stormy sea. I loved my jacked type in Tassie because most of the time it was cold. I'm now looking to buy a yoke for here in QLD.

Brett

harry_h01
27-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Becareful either way with regards to servicing. I recently was inspected by the water police whilst in the Brisbane River. When I showed them my jackets, they asked when was the last time I had my inflatable serviced. I have been doing it myself for the past 5 years.

They showed my the inspection tag, hidden away under the collar, that had to be signed off by an approved service agent.

When I did a search for service agents in Brisbane, none to be found. there is a place on the Gold Coast that does them. Cost wise, around $50 for the service, and this is required every 12mths.

So be cautious when buying an inflatable, as to the extra annual cost of servicing.

Harry