PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Mooloolaba

hookinin
24-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Left the Mooloolah river around 3.00am and headed for the banks in a mates boat. With 5 onboard his 2400 Kevlacat tangles were going to be issue even though we reguly fished together with 4 and work well. I decided to fish plastics to start with and leave the bottom bashing rigs to the mates. We pulled up near our first mark to do a drift to see our direction and rig up. Since mine was ready i dropped down and was on as soon as i got to the bottom and after a good fight the snapper in the picture was onboard. What a way to start the day but the other snapper we got through the day were around the40-60cm. Pealies were a solid size as was most of the parrot(tuskies). Rest of the catah was made up of Hussar, Maori cod, Jobies,Trag jew and Jamie got a Red emperor,a nice bonus down here.

TimD
24-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Great session there guy's :thumbsup:

What size jigheads are you using, they look around 2oz

cheers tim :)

hookinin
24-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah Tim was 2oz when driftingand still needed 1.5 at anchor

TimD
24-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Yeah Tim was 2oz when drifting and still needed 1.5 at anchor

Was that due to the depth or was the current raging ??

How deep is it out at the Banks ?

cheers tim :)

hookinin
25-01-2010, 12:25 AM
mainly the depth. Can be anything from 40- 80m where we fish but we mainly fish 65-80m.

indy
25-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Some really nice fish mate and a bonus red beautiful how much did the red weigh?

cheers pete...

outsiderskip
25-01-2010, 06:38 AM
nice fish here
was good to meet up at the ramp

pete

wags on the water
25-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Nice work Gaven. I wish our trip out had results like that. Definitately some cracker fish. Nice to meet you at the ramp too.

Cheers,
Wags

hookinin
25-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Pete (indy)
The Red went 7.5kg and the snapper about the same
Pete
Yeah pete hopefully next time on the water
Wags
We were happy with the results especially for this time year

TCSunCoast
25-01-2010, 12:36 PM
What a great catch at the banks, well done excellent red

Tony

backlash08
25-01-2010, 12:46 PM
good work there guys! as you say, nice red for down here!
cheers

Pistol_P
25-01-2010, 02:08 PM
So...while everyone has pelagic fever Gav sneaks out and pulls some ripper snapper and reds eh..???

Very nice fish mate.

Pete

brisbane_boy
25-01-2010, 02:21 PM
nice work mate, it must be a myth all the snappa go to the deep.

Reefmaster
25-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Some good qaulity fish there mate.. well done

So...while everyone has pelagic fever Gav sneaks out and pulls some ripper snapper and reds eh..???

Very nice fish mate.

Pete

He's not the only one Pete ;D Some good reefies around at the moment..

nice work mate, it must be a myth all the snappa go to the deep.

Yeah BB there seems to be plenty of snapper around on the sunny coast/fraser region still. I reckon they will be there and only improve as the cooler months arrive.

goona
25-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Awsome fish especially the Red which is not all that commoon off the banks

Goona

finding_time
25-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Awsome fish especially the Red which is not all that commoon off the banks

Goona

Bring on Global warming i say , well be catching Reds of the Tweed before long;) :D :D

jtpython
25-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Croc's Red's Whats next . Top Effort guys well done
JT

legsy11
25-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Some good qaulity fish there mate.. well done

He's not the only one Pete ;D Some good reefies around at the moment..

Yeah BB there seems to be plenty of snapper around on the sunny coast/fraser region still. I reckon they will be there and only improve as the cooler months arrive.

so where is your report greg.
seen you parked out the back of the seafood shop yesterday[sunday].sneaky.
so lets see them,could help me deside whether to have a bottom bash down here tomorrow.?
mick.

Dean1
25-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Thats gold to see such quality coming off the banks. Well done boys. Mick do you really want to see Gregs fish it will only depress you coz im sure he only had quality in that esky ;D I hear theres heaps of run off Frazer at the moment and will get worse this week with the full moon coming.

Im really going to have to brush those cobwebs off my tub in the next month or so and have a looksie.

Cheers..

Reefmaster
26-01-2010, 04:29 PM
so where is your report greg.
seen you parked out the back of the seafood shop yesterday[sunday].sneaky.
so lets see them,could help me deside whether to have a bottom bash down here tomorrow.?
mick.

Hahahaha can't hide any where...yep unloading on Foxy's commercial license..Put a good dent in the red population;)

Thats gold to see such quality coming off the banks. Well done boys. Mick do you really want to see Gregs fish it will only depress you coz im sure he only had quality in that esky ;D I hear theres heaps of run off Frazer at the moment and will get worse this week with the full moon coming.

Im really going to have to brush those cobwebs off my tub in the next month or so and have a looksie.

Cheers..

Hey Deano there was no current at all..10 balls were going straight to the bottom while anchored..The current can be there one minute and gone the next..gotta take the gamble and it paid off for us..

Cheers
Greg

skipper07
26-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Good Catch of reefies.

Reds are very common catch from Mooloolaba. People who fish the banks always believe the bigger the ledge the bigger the fish. Water 45m to 60m is a no brainer with big baits. There's a good spot know by pros between South banks & Wide Cal for good reds.

A certain pro came back into Mooloolaba just before chrissy after 2 days with esky's full of reds & snapper. he fished grounds no further then 55km from point cart. Biggest red went just under 12kg. All you need to do is find the boats and go elsewhere.

GPB
26-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Good Catch of reefies.

Reds are very common catch from Mooloolaba. People who fish the banks always believe the bigger the ledge the bigger the fish. Water 45m to 60m is a no brainer with big baits. There's a good spot know by pros between South banks & Wide Cal for good reds.

A certain pro came back into Mooloolaba just before chrissy after 2 days with esky's full of reds & snapper. he fished grounds no further then 55km from point cart. Biggest red went just under 12kg. All you need to do is find the boats and go elsewhere.

Shhhhuuussshhh;D

Karl Inge
26-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Some great fish here, love how the fish looks like mutant wrasses from home :)

Fishbait
26-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Awesome fish!!!!!!! Congrats on such great big fish! Cheers, Darren

Plumb-Ezy74
29-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Hi Gav
Got to luv it when things work good job.
Cheers Scott