PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Podded or Podded and Trim Tabbed a 10 foot Tinny?

Chimo
24-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I use a 10 ft tinny as a bit of a run-around in the river and canals with a 9.9 with foils. It goes well but obviously with a couple of hundred kilos of people ie 2; its lacking in length. With one up weight needs to be centred to reduce wash at low speeds and this means an extension tiller ie length of PVC.

Were the boat to be 2 or even 3 feet longer when travelling at 6 ish kn and above it should, I figure, run flatter and easier.

So what would the outcome be if a couple of pod (lets) were fitted on either side of the transom with the motor left in its normal spot?

The pods would have to be some distance up from the bottom or turning etc would, could be affected. How far up? Would it work OK?

For a bit of extra lift and extra hull length how would, for example, a foot by a foot of fixed trim tab go if it was attached, with a few degrees of fixed down angle; a 1/4 inch above the rear bottom edge of each podlet?

With these things fitted is it still classed as a 10 ft tinny?
Is this GOM losing it or not:-/ ? Your thoughts please:)

Cheers
Chimo

finga
24-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Lost it I'd say..........

BUT....fixed tabs out of 3mm alloy....mmmmmm....... lets go down to the dungeon :D
I mate of mine known here abouts as Aussiefool once had a boat called Aussiefool II.
Now Andrews boat had a 6hp on the back if I remember and we got it planing at lower speeds with a hand made, extremely rare Fingafoil MkI on his motor. Maybe that'll work too??
Or the best solution is get a fatter mate up the front.
I'm available :)
Or you could screw an aluminium plan to the front and make your mate sit out the end of the plank. That'll distribute the weight further forward.
Or you could strap a couple of blue 200l drums to the side and pretend she's a ducky
Or you could just buy a bigger boat ....na, that sux :)

Blaster Bretty
24-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I rekon try the pods either side! it would be no different than some of the polycraft boats out there, they have a small podlet on either side of the motor!

Bretty

Hornet Rider
24-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I use a 10 ft tinny as a bit of a run-around in the river and canals with a 9.9 with foils.

So what would the outcome be if a couple of pod (lets) were fitted on either side of the transom with the motor left in its normal spot?

Is this GOM losing it or not:-/ ? Your thoughts please:)

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo,

Flicked your question across to Prince William & his reply was... 'Tell Chimo he's got too much time on his hands, but his idea has merit. From the Royal Small Boat archives comes the following....

Q: Can exterior flotation pods help the performance of my boat?

A: That depends. If you have a short boat, (less than 16ft), yes. It will create more surface area and make up for the lack of true bottom on your hull. Or, if you plan to use an outboard frequently, it will improve your shallow water take off. (Hole shot). If you have a hull that is 16-20ft, and exclusively use a mud motor, pods will be of little advantage.

I think HRH's reference it 'mud motors' is for those people who fish at Mud Island or who put crab pots in at low tide in mangrove areas.

cheers, HR

Yes, a 10 ft tinny always remains a 10 ft tinny regardless of how many pods are retro fitted, unless some tale-gating, non-boat owing, numb-nut rear-ends you at the lights. Then you have a less-than 10 ft tinny.

Chimo
25-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Podding is happening. No trim tabs at this stage. If it works as planned should be 10 with 12 character and steps on the back. Maybe I could make them fuel tanks with a balance tube and twin breathers and that would get the 25 lt fuel tank off the floor and out of the boat too? On second thoughts might just leave them empty.

Who says I've got too much time on my hands!

Cheers
Chimo

finga
25-01-2010, 04:52 PM
You have not got as much time to waste as the bloke making them.
He MUST have time to waste.

Chimo
25-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Very grumpy for a GOM, I hate packing too!

Cheers
Chimo

finga
25-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Very grumpy for a GOM, I hate packing too!

Cheers
Chimo
Who's a grumpy old man??
I'm grumpy but not so old ;D
Actually the packing is easy.
The fixing of the house is :-[

Apollo
26-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Mark (trymyluck) added the pods to his 5m savage. Made heaps of difference to the way the boat goes. Much smoother in a chop and bit better out of the hole.

Hopefully he will put up some photos.

Steve

Chimo
15-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Podding now done. Seems good so far.

Pics below

Cheers
Chimo

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=1131140#post1131140

see post no 123

Chimo
18-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi again FNQ

They dont seem to affect water flow to the prop. There is still a foil on the motor too and the motor is lifted about an inch above the transom.

I'll have to try some really fast tight turns and see if it will vent or cavitate.

In fact whereas previously the motor was set to be in the middle trim position at the moment the motor is set at the high (most rearward) setting and while it used to put the bow up that is now not happening probably due to the effective hull lengthening which was the plan all along.

Havent tried it, but with the checkerplate top 40cm by 33cm and approx 35lt of bouyancy in each; its probably possible to stand on one or both while straddling or maybe sitting on the motor and fish or maybe kneel and reach a prop?

We fitted the bottom onto the transom to be above the strakes / corrugations on the bottom of the hull probably at about the same height you would fit trim tabs.

The sides are shaped to be similar to the boat sides so there doesn't seem to be any turning issues.

I also did have some expert input.!

Cheers
Chimo

Chimo
19-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Now that's bloody ugly! worth it if it suited the intended purpose though.

I have more or less the same plan for my big boat (half pod now out to full pod either side of the engine) ideally i would like to be able to uncomfortably lean over the end of the pod far enough to change a prop out with the engine tilted up.

Curious what did the mod do to your turns? more air at the prop??

cheers fnq

Hi FNQ

Tried it in the river this arvo.

Handles big boat wakes well; and feels safe not twitchy.

Turns like an MG on steroids and stays flat.
No cavitation or ventilation

Does splash a bit of water up towards the bottom of the motor cowling at high speed. Needs an couple of deflectors which I'll make up and fit one day.

100 kgs can stand on either pod without water getting into the ten footer.
One can also stand on both and fish and sit on the motor with a foot on each, but its a bit warm on the motor for the "boys"

FNQ, to kneel on your pods and reach the prop you better make them wider and bigger which should be OK for you as your boat is heaps bigger than my 10 ft er.

Cheers
Chimo