PDA

View Full Version : last minute livies

reefer
24-01-2010, 10:37 AM
We headed out from Manly for afternoon session trying to catch some spaniards.
We crossed a non existent bar at 12 noon and went to look for some livies. We stopped at our first mark and although there was plenty of shows on the sounder all we could catch was 3 inch flathead and a couple of lancers. We decided to go for a troll on the top of the tide at the sevens but did nothing. We returned to the bait mark but still no livies, we then proceeded to try for the next three hours to try and find livies covering about 16NM but still no joy.

Feeling defeated we went for a high speed troll around the sevens but still no reels turned so we headed south and saw some turbulent water and hooked to a hoo that was about 8 kilos. Shortly after the hook we saw Bob P who had a load of livies on board. He kindly donated 5 livies so we finally had a shot at the spaniards at 6:00PM, Thanks BOB. The first livie was hooked up on a mackeral rig but managed to wiggle off the hooks, it was not a yakka or a slimey but looked like a yakka on steroids with tiger stripes on its back. We then set a slow troll with two yakkas in a very strong current and got a couple of very short runs both reels were free spooled and both fished were hooked up. We managed to land them both. We rebaited with our last two livies but the sun was close to setting so we gave the livies their freedom as i did not want cross the amity channel at the bottom of the tide with no light. Fortunately the bar was flat.

Cheers Reefer

gr hilly
24-01-2010, 11:20 AM
in the end you had a good day thats good to see mate ive yet to hook up to one this year but i will.
good fishing all the best hilly.

jarhead
24-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Couple of of top fish, nice.

Wal

Fishing_Freddy
24-01-2010, 02:06 PM
A good read and a couple of nice fish top off the day, well done
Ken:beer:

part time
24-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks for another great fish Phil great to target two fish and come home with them. Thanks to Bob for the Livies (should of kept them lucky ones Bob) Keep watching Reefer Bob and you may just get there......

bobp
24-01-2010, 05:58 PM
that's the last time reefer is ever going to get some lives of me
all i got was a tuna:'(:'(:'( not happy Jan

Pistol_P
24-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Onya Reefer,

Mate I saw one of your thumbnail photos appear up top today so I clicked on it...

It was that GIANT dollie......Thats got to be one of the biggest I have seen.

Pete

reefer
24-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Hilly, Wal and Ken,

thanks for the positives, it was one of those days where you think its all over then it all happens. its crap when it doesn't!

Bob,

I didn't hang it on you!

Pete,

The dolly is a bit of a saw subject...we had 25 kilo shimano boga grips and it went over 25 kilos when we attempted to weigh it. We asked on channel 21 what the record was and got the reply of 24 kilos bit the fish must be above line weight and we caught the fish on 37 kilos while chasing blues. We weighed the fish about 8 hours later after bleeding it and it weighed 28 kilos, having to take a side off to weigh it in two pieces thinking that it was not a record. We then found out the all-tackle record was 24 kilos and that it would have been a record.

Our fault for not knowing the rules.

Cheers,

Phil

jtpython
24-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Nice work boys paided off in the end
Jt

soulfish
25-01-2010, 07:33 AM
[quote=bobp;1122641]that's the last time reefer is ever going to get some lives of me
all i got was a tuna:'(:'(:'( not happy Jan[/quote

A TUNA:D ,good to see your catch rate going up verado bob;D
see ya out there this arvo
ive just jinxed myself now havnt i :-X

JACE...
25-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Top stuff Reefer,
Bob P your a champion,
I Couldent find a decent livey anywhere yesterday morning so I too went on the troll with skirts and could only manage 3 x Skipjack between 5am and 3pm, had sailfish leaping from the water off my bow and birds working everywhere just south of the point but no its only those bloody tuna that I can get interested.
I plan on having another go on Tuesday with more focus on collecting liveys and slow trolling.
Did the fish come from the east side of the rocks ?
Were the liveys bridled or just hooked through the nose ?

Jace...

JACE...
25-01-2010, 09:29 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=55404&stc=1&d=1264375717

TCSunCoast
25-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Reefer, were the flathead in a school you were catching. Just interested as last year at Fraser another boat with us found what they thought was a livey school and it turned out to be 3 inch flathead.
I had never heard of this before.

Tony

reefer
25-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Tony,

We did not see any big balls of bait but shows up to about 10m from the bottom. The things are everywhere though. We threw our jigs at some really small tuna at one point with nothing showing on the sounder and when the jigs hit the bottom we caught more of them.

Cheers,

Phil

bobp
25-01-2010, 08:32 PM
soulfish since we are taking catch rates
what was yours the other day 1 from 12 wasn't it;D;D;D;D

reefer if my deckies keep catching all the fish as skipper i would claim them too;D

reefer
26-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Bob,

I thought it was all about getting the hook up and sharing the fish with your mates ;) Know what i mean jelly bean ;D .

Cheers Reefer

part time
26-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Now Bob look what you have started, Reefer puts us on the fish we just bring them in. I enjoy gaffing these types of fish and draging them aboard usally one after the other with Reefer.....like anything Bob it is a Team effort.....what do you think Soulfish.....

Garry

bobp
29-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Garry do you want us to catch the fish for you too ::)
reefer gets you out there and puts you no the fish
i catch and supply you the bait
and don't gaff the fish in the guts