PDA

View Full Version : 23/1 Wahooooo!!

Adam_G
24-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Arrived at Manly with Honda900 and his boat to meet Grand_Marlin at 4:30am for a days trolling (learning to troll properly thanks Grand_Marlin) off North Straddie.

We ripped across the bay out through SPB with some big expectations. On the way to where we were going to start our troll we noticed some fish busting the surface so the spread was set. In no time the X-rap was hit by a bonito the same size as the lure, poor little bugger was bouncing accross the surface behind the boat.

Bonito in the box for bait and off we go again, not much of a wait and we're on again this time its bigger. X-rap again. I start fighting and it's a good fish, as it gets closer we see it and it's good. Next thing I'm struggling to wind the reel, the bloody reel is starting to fail and I can see the fish. I could only get half a turn on it at a time with all my strength, so you can imagine what the other two are saying, 'hurry up and wind it in, what are you doing, what's wrong with you', my response 'the *&%ing reel wont *&%ing work. They thought it was hilarious I thought I was going to have to hand line the last 10m of line.

Anyway gaff shot by Honda and my first Wahoo is aboard 10kg.;D

Middle part of the day was slow, 1 x 1.5kg squire, 1 x 3.5kg striped tuna and we saw a Marlin just sunning itself in front of us.

No more action until the long troll home (good call Honda for perservering), close to where we picked up the Hoo earlier and we're on again Grand_Marlin was up, Honda and I cleared the rods and then Honda is on, double hook up Wahoo yeeha.:D After some exciting moments of fish ripping from left to right some how not getting tangled we boated another 10kg and 8.5kg Wahoo. All fish were put on scales. A first first for Honda also can't remember if Grand_mariln had caught one before.

One on a skirt one on X-rap and there was a third that struck only to bite off the other X-rap. The Hoo's were followed to the boat by at least 6 of their mates but we had enough fish for the day so called it then and headed home.

Thanks boys for a great day of firsts and Grand_marlin for giving us the tips on trolling. If I have left anything out I'm sure one of the others will fill in the blanks.

Adam

Fishing_Freddy
24-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Well done on your first go at trolling. Looks like their will be plenty of fish in the freezer with those specimens.
Well done
Ken :beer:

Stroadman
24-01-2010, 02:33 PM
gee the wahoo up thick up your way. only a few stragglers here at the tweed at the mo'. come on down!

Heretic.

wak69
24-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Well done guys

cheers sam..

Adam_G
24-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks guy I wished we had videoed some of it, it got quite busy at times, a few choice words were used;D and there was a camera on board, it just didn't get used. Next time there'll be footage. It took some effort to fish 5 lines with 3 POB and a double hook up for newbies to trolling. Summer fishing just got exciting.

Adam

goona
25-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Well one guys, It pays to put in the effort.

Goona