PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha only for the Daintree River boats...

ozscott
23-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi all.

I know this is not going to impress some people, but I am just repeating what a river guide and ex commercial fisherman told me on the Daintree the other day during the pouring rain...there is only one outboard and his employers (the oldest business for river cruises on that river - 20 years) only run the Yammy and get 10,000 hours typically from them. He said everyone on the river only runs Yammy and as an ex commercial fisho he would not run anything else. The river ones, because of the ecology are all 4 strokers.

Interesting take. I love Yammy so it was nice to hear.

Cheers

TheRealAndy
23-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Hi all.

I know this is not going to impress some people, but I am just repeating what a river guide and ex commercial fisherman told me on the Daintree the other day during the pouring rain...there is only one outboard and his employers (the oldest business for river cruises on that river - 20 years) only run the Yammy and get 10,000 hours typically from them. He said everyone on the river only runs Yammy and as an ex commercial fisho he would not run anything else. The river ones, because of the ecology are all 4 strokers.

Interesting take. I love Yammy so it was nice to hear.

Cheers

I have had a good run with the yams over the year. I know a few pros, they either use yam or tohatsu.

Blackened
24-01-2010, 07:27 AM
G'day

Was it Bruce Belcher? He's also got a merc is that's the case..

Dave

Catweb
24-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Some years ago there was a region in SA where all the pro's would only buy Honda. That was until all the corrosion problems and short engine life started to happen.....go figure huh?

ozscott
24-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Yep - I am not saying that because they use them they must be the best its just interesting.

Cheers

oldboot
24-01-2010, 04:27 PM
It may also be that the local dealer is doing the right thing.

No doubt about it Yam would be near the top of my list for a replacement.

but

You not is some areas a particular brand gets plenty of sales because the local dealer is doing the right thing

I note that in townsville honda is very strongly represented..........but in other areas the local dealer isn't as well regarded, and honda's don't sell as well.

Suzuki's are very well represented on the back of VMR boats and government boats.

I recon all BS aside it is a very close run thing between the 3 major jap manufacturers.

& it may come down to who has the best offereing in that catagory of motor.

Apparantly the 60Hp yammy 4ST....is very hard to beat... but it may be different in other sizes.

cheers

ozscott
24-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I agree mate. For example some car makes are not well represented in that area, yet they are good cars.

Cheers

Captain Seaweed
24-01-2010, 05:42 PM
It is the same asmost farmers buying toyotas? By the way i am a big Yami fan

ozscott
24-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Yep - I reckon that part of it Captain. There are many Land Rovers in Port Douglas and Cairns but as you go West to say Atherton there are only Toyo dealerships so you only see the odd LR and heaps of Toyos (although very very few 100 and 200 series cruisers).

Cheers

oldboot
24-01-2010, 10:10 PM
T'ville used to be a big nissan town... but the tojo's are taking over there.... aparantly Ayr is still a nissan stronghold.........if you arent driving a tojo...in particular a landcruser in Mt Isa you are either, new to town, down on your luck or weird.

Funny isn't it.

cheers

MyEscape
25-01-2010, 06:47 AM
I think it has a lot to do with the dealer representation in the local area. In Mackay there is mostly Yamahas on the back of boats. Looking at 5 boats pulling up at the ramp on Saturyday at Rocky Dam Creek they all had Yamahas, including mine.

That said, I thought while I was in Gladstone you seemed to see mostly Mercury.

But, when it comes to guides using their boats each and every day the motors do tend to lock up the hours without hassle, regardless of the make.

Steve

ozbee
25-01-2010, 09:46 AM
in the 70 to 80s the market was dominant by johonos / evinrudes followed by merc . with the demise of johonson yammys was born in australia and were pretty well the closet clone around . the most important factor was the available of Yamaha dealerships that crossed over . this gave a head start over later incoming brands.

fact is Yamaha is losing ground in sales but is still a strong force as it has by far the most dealerships in ozz.

the good thing is competition keeps all of them on there toes otherwise we would still be running around with four-strokes as as heavy as tanks. perfect example was the 300 Yamaha which was a dead loss but thankfully Suzuki put out a balanced 300 which has caused Yamaha now to put out a new light weight 300 yammy which i sure will be a hit.

fact is all brands have some lemons amongst them as manufactures tend to build there blocks on same size pistons for a vast amount of hp to cut down on milling costs. so some hp motors are better than others in performance to a small degree.

the next step will be the first to bring out direct injection four-stroke which on average has 20 % better fuel economy than the the present efi four. so who knows etec and Yamaha may become one motor .now that would blow the wind out of those who say there motor is better than blow joes.

bennyboy
25-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Take a look at Sydney Harbour, no shortage of dealers down there and all the water taxi's run Yammy's!

ozscott
25-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Its not just the issue of a particular system - ie 4 stroke v 2 stroke etc, but engineering quality and electronics quality...etc

Cheers

Donny Boy
25-01-2010, 02:53 PM
By the way i am a big Yami fan

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o WTF ????

When I looked last, you've got twin Johnos' on the back of your rig.....................

That is.........unless as well as being old & stupid, I'm f*****g blind as well !!!!

No ! Wait !!..............Don't answer that !!.........Mate.......Buddy......Pal !!.. ;D;)

Maybe you should put "Twin Johnos' aspiring to be Yammys" in the "For sale" ad.

That, or get into someone's ear when you're Snowboarding..........

"Hah...Konichiwa !! Mate ! Got any spare 130 Yammys' knockin' round???"

I just wanna see you get it on the plane as carry-on luggage........;D;D