PDA

View Full Version : Reiforcing transom for pod and 150hp

scotty66
22-01-2010, 11:43 PM
HI everyone I have purchased a 2000 mod 150 evinrude ficht ( I am aware of the probs with this motor but it has had the power head recall and a new $3000 ecu unit, I will treat her nice and use good oil and hopefully have many hours of fun before she needs anything major. does anybody know what you could bore her out to when the time comes ?)and plan to put it on my 19 foot caribbean with a non flotation pod. the transom is 50mm thick in the middle and 35mm either side of the leg . I plan on making the whole lot 65mm thick by laminating marine ply over the back to fill it out to the desired width. I have attached pics of the engine bay and transom. If I brace the thickened transom to the side of the engine bay walls with knee braces would that be enough reinforcing to support the 200 od kg of weight? would it be a good idea to reinforce the floor/hull in the engine bay to resist the bownward/ inward forces applied by the motor/pod. I haven't done much fiber glassing but Im handy and know the basics of mixing and laying glass.
I have also found a bit of a problem. the fiberglass floor of the engine bay has water in it , its like a double skinned glass with a gap 10mm approx to the outer hull. should I cut or sand it out and relay it or could i drill it dry it and then pump resin somehow into the cavity.
any replies appreciated

Scotty

Spaniard_King
23-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Where are you located??

If you want someone to do this work for you I have a contact that does this sort of stuff... very good and at a reasonable price.

Jarrah Jack
23-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I think he is down in Vic Garry but if he were to pm BM he may get all the help he needs.

scotty66
24-01-2010, 11:48 PM
thanks mate but I will be doing the job myself. Someone else told me to pm BM, I don't know what pm means but I sent him a message after finding him in the members list, I assumed BM is a member. anyway have herd nothing back.
cheers for your help

scotty

Jarrah Jack
25-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Scotty

I think you could use some good advice as a starting point if you haven't done much work on boats before. Just to check for rot in transom and the floor and stringers.

There are some good glass guys in Hastings who may be able to help you out or you may be able to find a glasser close by in Sorrento.

There are many stories on this forum about similiar projects and are worth a look. Go to.... search... at top of page....click...advanced search....click.....then type fiberglass in search field......under boating forum and start reading.

PM means private message which it seems you have already used to BM.

scotty66
25-01-2010, 08:49 PM
thanks jack I have already read allot on various forums and am just going to over do it with the reinforcing. The transom is very solid as are the stringers the only worry I have is water in the second skin under the old engine. If I dont hear of a better way I am going to drill it out dry it out and reseal it.

BM
29-01-2010, 09:56 PM
G'day Scotty,

I have not been around this site for a little while now and have been away over the chrissy holidays too so sorry I did not see your topic.

I am surprised that the transom area outside the immediate sterndrive area would be 35mm thick. Typically this type of configuration has the transom pad at about 50mm thick and the surrounding transom area is about 5mm thick and only fibreglass.

Its hard to comment without seeing the boat in the flesh and checking it out but some knees glassed in between the transom wall and stringers should be sufficient support to hold the pod.

Give me a call if need be, on 0419 787 986.

Cheers,

Nick