PDA

View Full Version : Spaniard, Wahoo's, Cod & Trevally

Goldfinch
22-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Well....not a good start to the day with Tim_D knocking on my door at 3.45am. The vibration on my phone alarm failed and I slept through the 3am wakeup. Sorry Tim!!!

Anyway...we launched from Scarby around 5.30am and headed off the Cape. Ride out was a bit sloppy but fishing conditions were excellent. What 2m swell???

The plan was to try new spots today with some plastics and some trolling to mix up the day. First drift and out go the SP's. Within a minute I'm on to someone big and line starts peeling and within about 30seconds... bust off!!! Definitely a Mackerel. On the same drift Tim gets hammered on the bottom and after a good fight he lands a very nice 7kg Estuary Cod. Good start to the morning!!!

On the next drift I get hammered winding in my SP and after a really good fight a 3kg Trevally hits the net, gets a photo and returns to fight another day. I'd forgotten how well they fight. The new Egrell Bear S10H is no longer a virgin!

A couple of other boats turn up and decide to power over our drift line and all shuts down. Thanks!!! We decide to have a troll and after about an hour and no hits I said to Tim...5 more minutes and we'll look for a place to fish well away from other boats. Then 2 minutes later....zzzzzzzz....off goes the new Stella. After a very smooth fight the first Spanish Mackerel of the season is gaffed and in the boat. Finally they are here!!! It went 7.5kg.

We decide to keep trolling and I could see a big broken bait school come across the screen and I said to Timmy...we are about to get hit mate. Literally seconds later...zzzzzzz.....off goes the Stella again. Timmy grabs the rod and starts to fight. I grab the camera to start filming. Timmy says....mate, the other line is on. I look up and the Tyrnos is screaming as well. Mayhem!!! Double hookup and we're both on. Timmy got his close to the boat first and it was a Wahoo. I put my rod in the rod holder with the drag set for a minute whilst I gaffed Timmy's and then went back to fighting mine. After a few circles under the boat I got him boatside and Tim sank the gaf in. Another Wahoo. Both around the 8kg mark. You beauty!!! Successful double!!! Hard to film though.

Obviously we keep trolling. Another lap and the same thing on the sounder and I once again said...we're gonna get hit. Bang...off goes the Stella again. Timmy grabs the rod, I grab the camera and this time Tim had a good solid fight for 10-15minutes. Eventually got a nice 10kg Wahoo boatside, gaffed and in the boat.

So the tally for the morning:
7kg Estaury Cod
3kg Trev
7.5kg Spaniard
8kg Wahoo
8kg Wahoo
10kg Wahoo

All fish caught on Lures. Soft plastics, hard bodies and skirts.

We trolled for a little longer but it all shut down. Threw the plastics around for a bit whilst eating some lunch then headed home in total slop across the bay. Was great to break in the new Egrell rod and Stella 20000. Both bits of gear are all they cracked up to be. Can someone teach Tim_D to back in a trailer????:P Thanks for helping clean the boat mate.

Some photos below and should have some cracker video footage up in the next few days.

Here is the video link:
http://www.youtube.com/user/OzFishingAdventures#p/a/u/0/VB51LkDcg4k

Cheers
Dave

timddo
22-01-2010, 12:28 PM
. Can someone teach Tim_D to back in a trailer????:P Thanks for helping clean the boat mate.

Dave

You mite want to teach him how to drive the boat too ::)

Congrat boys.

1fish82fish
22-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Well done Mate! I'm giving it a go tomorrow. Were you far off Morton?

frankgrimes
22-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Sensational effort fellas!!

Spectre
22-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Great report & great pics Dave

Sounds like u had guys had a blast .....definetly worth gettin up early for a session like that ;D ;D

Were you trolling lures or baits ..??

Cheers
Phil

TimD
22-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Once again thanks for the trip Dave, it was certainly a trip we won't forget any time soon :thumbsup:

That stella and your jig stick pulled the fish in like they were undersize whiting, very nice set up with plenty of power. My little freezer is almost chocka block with fillets now so amanda and her dad will eat well for a while.

Buy a wagon Dave and i'll have no trouble reversing the trailer down the ramp :P

cheers tim :)

TimD
22-01-2010, 02:17 PM
You mite want to teach him how to drive the boat too ::)

Congrat boys.

I only get your sarca anchor stuck on the manly pontoons cleat while trying to reverse away from it :hammer:

Well done Mate! I'm giving it a go tomorrow. Were you far off Morton?

Can't tell you too much mate, it's a secret spot ;D

Great report & great pics Dave

Sounds like u had guys had a blast .....definetly worth gettin up early for a session like that ;D ;D

Were you trolling lures or baits ..??

Cheers
Phil

Trolling lures Phil, we were going to try trolling yakka's but couldn't get any on the bait jigs

MattChew
22-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Absolutely top draw fishing there guys ... I'm gutted I'm not heading out with Brian tomorrow .... maybe next time. Tim and trailers just don't mix!!! Only joking Tim, you just don't get the practice you use to. The Cod is a lump and a half plus all the fish look very healthy ... well not any more but you get the idea.

Ta
Matt

DaMaGe
22-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Top effort!! was the bay lumpy because of the NE winds.

TimD
22-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Top effort!! was the bay lumpy because of the NE winds.

Yeah run out tide and NE wind

Pistol_P
22-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Awesome stuff Boys,

Good mix of fish there..8-)

Pete

rosco1974
22-01-2010, 05:18 PM
bloody hell,dont know if i want to take goldfinch and tim d for a fish in my boat now,be pretty hard to top that trip:-/ ,but i spose they will be able to show me how to use the plastics,well done on another great trip, hopefully get a few sunday,
cheers rosco

Horse
22-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Top stuff fellas. 3 Hoo asnd a maccy is a great effort

jtpython
22-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Great going guys that is a great result. Great mixture of fillets
JT

ON-THE-CHEW
22-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Well done Dave and Tim, you guys sounded pretty pumped on the drive home. Good to see you get into some fish and break in the new gear.

Andrew

wak69
22-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Great report guys, a great way to break in the new gear and great pics.

regards Sam.

Daintreeboy
22-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Fantastic fishing. I have to ask though, what size line on the 20000 Stella? The combo with the rod seems a littel different to what you would normally see with such a big reel. Or have I got the combo's mixed up?

TimD
22-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Fantastic fishing. I have to ask though, what size line on the 20000 Stella? The combo with the rod seems a littel different to what you would normally see with such a big reel. Or have I got the combo's mixed up?

Yeah i think you might be a little mixed up, Dave's stella 20000 is mounted on a jigstick and his egrell S10-H has a certate bolted to it.

Did you think he had the stella 20000 mounted to the egrell S10-H ??

Scalem
22-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Been too busy to watch out for your post guys, and B4 you know it its already gone to two pages! It shows that everyone is impressed by your catch, only there's something/someone missing!:P;D

Looking forward to the Video Dave. You're really getting into the good fish mate, don't wrestle too long about which fish deserves your Avitar spot, the Jewie must stay!!;) Tim, how good is it to give Dave the landing net or gaf duties for a while? Must be sensational!! Well done!

Matt, don't beat yourself up mate, weekend boat traffic will make it hard to find the fish, I doubt I will get anything like Dave and Tim, but you are welcome to try coordinate a trip with me any time.

Scalem

TimD
22-01-2010, 11:27 PM
there's something/someone missing!

Yeah u should have been on board Brian, Dave and i needed someone to film while we had the double hook up on hoo's ;D

You missed out on the Sweet Chilli & Sour Cream Red Rock Deli Chips too :o

Goldfinch
23-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. To answer some questions.
The Hoos and Spaniard caught on Hard Bodies except one Hoo caught on a Skirt.
The Stella Rig had 65lb braid and 80lb leader, clip swivel, 65lb wire to lure. The rod is a 5.5ft Tblade, Vfox jigging stick. Bloody awesome rig.
On the Chew....how did you go out there today?
Scalem...The Jewie is staying for now mate. Until I catch something bigger. BTW The chips were great, yet again!!!

Daintreeboy
23-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Yeah Tim I was mixed up. It did sound weird lol

Fish_gutz
23-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Thats an awesome session well done. good to see the spaniards around. Cheers Andrew

ffejsmada
23-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Top day there fellas, well done!
Wahoo are great looking fish aren't they?
Especially when they're all lit up at the boat. Awesome!

Congrats, Jeff.

madmackrel
23-01-2010, 11:50 PM
8-) Good work boys, looking forward to seeing the video.
Cheers MM;)

FireFly
24-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Great report fellas...and that video is sensational! :thumbsup:

I have a 4.5 m Bluefin and was playing around the bay that day, should have gone wide by the looks of that water :o ... first trip out in the new boat so didn't want to chance it.

What weight jig heads do you use most often out wide?

Cheers Rob

Donny Boy
25-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Sensational stuff.......

Yet another Top Vid / top day/ top fish/ top effort. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is much better than the shows on the Telly !!!

All I can do is hope a couple of those things take a fancy to my hook.

Great work lads.....and thanks for the lessons. ;D

Tim_N
25-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Good work fella's, again. Glad to hear the new gear is all you hoped for Dave.
Tim

Goldfinch
25-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey Firefly....we mostly use TT Lures Jigheads in the Headhunter range. Size varies from 1/2oz to 3/4oz to 1oz and sometimes 1.5oz depending on the depth and current. I buy these sizes with a 7/0 Mustad hook. I usually start with 3/4oz if the water depth is 40m+ and go from there.

FireFly
25-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks Goldie, will be picking up a few heads this week...then lookout fish!;D

Aquarius
25-01-2010, 10:17 PM
A nice haul of quality fish Fella's.
Sure would have stretched the arms.
Tim i think you may find fishing for mr snapper in the bay a bit tame now after catching those speedsters.
Enjoy the fillets mate.
Cheers Brent.

TimD
25-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Tim i think you may find fishing for mr snapper in the bay a bit tame now after catching those speedsters.

Cheers Brent.

Brent those bay snapper still go hard mate, especially when i use the egrell S2 with the 2500 luvias with 10lb braid and 12lb leader

Karl Inge
26-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Awesome fishing!

Liberty
30-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Great effort boys. Nice cod that one! Good to hear you've the Hoo under control.

Cheers

addobaz
02-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Bit of a late reply but well done guys! I don't think you are missing the snapper too much at the moment are you?