PDA

View Full Version : interal battery in navman 4200

maru222
22-01-2010, 08:14 AM
my navman fish 4200 depth sounder forget all prefered settings i put in it.
,eg fathoms/feet/metres, c or f and fuel levels etc.
i believe it is wired correctly,and have refered to the manual, but i thought it
logically would retain the information instead it gos to factory default
i have contacted navman but no good so far
any ideas would be great
thanks dave

peterbo3
23-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Dave,
Is it a new unit that has done this from day 1, or has it been OK in the past?
Does it go to default each time you power off & restart, or does it happen when you start your engine?
If it is not a software problem, it may be power related. If the wiring is undersize, battery is on the way out or terminals are poorly joined, many modern devices will do what you are describing.
Can you get a multimeter & check your voltage at the battery & at the unit?
Lastly, does the manual shed any light on the setup procedures & the selection of different units of measurement?

maru222
24-01-2010, 05:52 PM
i bought the boat second hand 6 months ago and it has always done it. it was wired up as per the manual to the engine but have now wired it directly to the battery the wires from the unit are only 1mm thick or smaller and the extensions i have have put on are 2mm so there should be no lack of power. the battery is general charged up ,new marine battery.
it also has a low battery warning which has never come on
it not a major problem just annoying to have to reprogram it each time you start up the sounder. i generally do not like sounding on top of fish for a long time, i am thinking it will scare them off, not that i catch any fish anyhow
regards dave