PDA

View Full Version : Wivenhoe Dam

greyfox
22-01-2010, 06:13 AM
A couple of guys have told me they heard the government is going to allow motored boats on the dam. Anyone able to confirm this? Seems like access to the dam would be a problem if you wanted to set up camp; given the numbers that would probably start using it.

aussiebasser
25-01-2010, 01:14 PM
There has been talk about it for years. I've not heard anything lately. We'll keep our fingers crossed for a sensible outcome.

bass54
25-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I think it would be a shame if they allowed power boats on the lake. Even though it's a big lake you don't have to travel far to get onto some big bass.
Cheers,
Jesper

Gigantor
27-01-2010, 01:51 PM
If power was allowed back on Big W, would definitely need more launching points around the dam. Maybe even open up Hayes/Billies area to free entry?

Cheers,

Pete

budgebass
14-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Rumour Mill is right guys.....................

It is not the fishing fraternity that are pushing it, but the skiing fratnernity I believe.
Somerset is not big enough at 85% full for all the skiers.

Which is understandable for safety reasons? Some days you need traffic lights up there?

Cheers
Budgebass

aussiebasser
14-02-2010, 04:20 PM
If it is opened up for powered vessels, and it's a mighty big if at the moment, I'm positive we'll see horsepower limits, speed limits and it would be four stroke only. I'm very doubtful if it would ever be open for the skiing guys. A 6 knot limit in Logan's Inlet, Hamon Cove and Billies Bay would mean that there could not be any skiing, as the rest of the shoreline is not allowed to be accessed.

warrior
14-02-2010, 04:59 PM
it would be a great idea if they did do it but as aussiebasser said keep horse power and speed limits down.the ski boats have ruined plenty of dams already around se queensland

Diwai W
16-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Sorry but I hope that Big W stays petrol free... let's keep the serenity & lower fishing / usage pressure - PLEASE !

matt fraser
17-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Rumour Mill is right guys.....................

It is not the fishing fraternity that are pushing it, but the skiing fratnernity I believe.
Somerset is not big enough at 85% full for all the skiers.

Which is understandable for safety reasons? Some days you need traffic lights up there?

Cheers
Budgebass

I hope you're right Budgebass, I was at Kirkliegh last Saturday, and it was a nightmare! Coming from a background of family skiing trips all over SEQ. Somerset is so overcrowded with skiers, it is dangerous.

I'd be stoked if Wivenhoe was opened up to powerboats. Its a massive lake, and it would take a lot of boating pressure off Somerset. There are enough electric only lakes about, with another in the process of being build near beaudesert.

It would be a great thing for bass fishers in SEQ! pressure off Somerest, and Wivenhoe is big enough to cope with more boats and fishing pressure.

Cheers,

Matt

leelee
17-02-2010, 12:20 PM
I hope they see some sense and not allow it. Let them ski in North Pine.

Don't ruin the dam and the area just to open up the availability to let people ski.

I don't see them opening up green zones and marine parks for us to fish in because its to crowded elsewhere.

Cheers

Lee

tim barra master
22-02-2010, 10:14 PM
I was involved in the survey last time they looked at this about 15 years ago and there was a big push to keep the petrol head hoons off wivenhoe
capping the horsepower was definatelly considered at around 15hp but that had issues as then small fourstrokes were a minority to say the least. They still are too expensive for there power output
all that seemed to hapen was more locked gates
I cannot see them ever leting carby old teck 2 strokes on
and there is also those that like to camp at the quiet lake myself included
NICE TO BE ABLE TO TAKE A TODDLER DOWN TO THE WATER TO SPLASH AROUND WITHOUT THE CHANCE OF BEING THROWN 10FOOT UP THE BANK BY SOME MUNGREL IN A SKI BOAT http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon13.gif
Its a decent place to fish without getting thrown around in your own boat 20 times in 5 minutes by one ski boat and im all for keeping it that way
its a big lake we aready have a canoe area a sailing area give the skiers a area as well give them some boundarys to work in I COULD SUGEST SOMEWHERE THAT GETS WATER WHEN THE LAKES ONLY AT ITS CAPACITY INTHE SPILLWAY PERHAPS SHOULD GIVE A GOOD ADRENALIN RUSH
And everyone winshttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/icons/icon14.gif

I am not anty skier as i have kids that too probably will want to ski oneday
but the majority dont seem to give a rats about laws courtesy or decency and i would like nothing more than the people who manage these fine lakes to start evicting boaties for there unrooly behaviour
we had one death just this month thats one too many skier or not. great excuse to start a clamp down on safety.
i was up at boondoomba a few weeks ago and the complaints that were loged at the shop was unreal all about skiers geting too close to boaties and or swimmers
It seems that the only way to get a good setion is to take a sicky and fish on a week day THE WEATHERS ALWAYS BETTER ANYWAY

lets hope they open it up to outboards
lets hope they cap the speed limit
and set a noise limit on exhausts
and keep the bays where the camping grounds are 6 knots or less

PinHead
23-02-2010, 04:47 AM
keep petrol motors off Big W. The ski fraternity have plenty of places to go.

BlitzBaga
26-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I believe it was the kaos and safety conditions that were highlighted from Australia day activity that has led to the investigation of other posibilities.

Cheers
Murray

culbara
26-02-2010, 08:24 PM
do like they do at lenthalls and limit the speed on there that way there is no spped worries and no pollution worries

aussiebasser
26-02-2010, 08:40 PM
I believe it was the kaos and safety conditions that were highlighted from Australia day activity that has led to the investigation of other posibilities.

Cheers
Murray

It's been investigated for a lot longer than that Murray. This post was started before Australia Day.

BlitzBaga
27-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Youre right Dale, What I should have said was that it embeded the importance and seriousness of the investigation.

Cheers
Murray

PinHead
27-02-2010, 09:57 AM
then make the skiers get a boating permit for Somerset and only so many issued for any given day. keep the numbers under control.