PDA

View Full Version : Batson 9ft Fly Rod

Owen
21-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Here's the latest toy.

Now I just have to figure out how to drive it.

Wanted to keep this one fairly low key with the colours.

Weave is pearl mettalic over Madeira #40
65 x 135 threads.

Batson IF909-4 RX7 blank.
9ft, 9wt, 4 pce
Fuji Titanium SiC guides.
Can't remember the seat.

Made a monumental F** up on the weave (not on zero axis) so it'll be coming off again.

chris69
23-01-2010, 08:08 AM
hi there owen nice work,but if you build another one remember to keep you bindings to a minimum on your single foots or snakes so not to dampen the action in the rod and did you put about 5mm of binding about 30 to 40 mm below the female ferrals when joined so your line does not hit the edge of it, if not it will slow your line speed and chaff your fly line, how long did it take you to put the seahorse in that is special,now alls you have to do is get out and practics a few times a week and never end you session on a bad cast it will put you in a better state of mind for the start of your next one,ive built 4 fly rods a AMTC 12wt matrix 2pc and 3 flylogics extra fast 3pc 7tw,10wt,12wt and love them,have fun cheers chris.

Owen
23-01-2010, 04:08 PM
G'day Chris,
Thanks for the tips.

The seahorse could be done in 6 or 8 hours if you stuck at it.
Sing out if you want the pattern.

I'll probably end up re-wrapping this thing as I'm not thrilled with the way it came out.
Apart from the weave being off axis, the guide wraps are too bulky and I had some dramas with the epoxy.
Tried "one more coat" but it was too much, so it looks "heavy".

I'll leave it for now till I've had a bit of a play with it in case I decide to change anything else.