PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Good Yamaha Mechanic / Electric tech on Gold Coast

Travesso
21-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey guys,

In short, I'm chasing a Yamaha tech based on the Gold Coast who knows their stuff when it comes to the electrics / charging circuit, any contacts would be much appreciated! :)

Now for those interested, the longwinded version ;D :

I had a thread on here last year about the cranking problems I was having with my Yamaha F100. All leads, terminals and isolator switches have been replaced and my main leads are bloody massive 20mm diameter of copper goodness. The engine cranks perfectly now when the batteries are charged. I suspected at the time that the engine wasnt charging the battery properly as I never saw voltages of 13-15v as is the spec during operating RPMs.

First trip out since returning from a 6 week overseas trip, the batteries were nicely topped up by my regulated solar panel and motor started a treat. Headin up through about 3.5k RPM saw higher voltages than I'd ever seen... 15v, 15.5v, 16v... then the voltmeter started flashing at me with 16.2v shown. (Slightly above the spec the regulator should allow). I kept the revs down to 2.5k-3k to make sure the batteries didnt get fried and it stayed below 16v.

Next trip out with a fully charged battery and doing 3-4hrs of trolling at 2-2.5k RPM I ended up with my volt meter flashing 11.8v at me and the engine barely cranked on the earmuffs at home. I put the battery on the charge and went on another trip, shorter than the last. The battery voltage crept down from 12.8v to about 12.4v over the trip, but still cranked over on the earmuffs upon return.

So I'm not convinced that it is charging (and yes, I know the charge rate of these engines is relatively low, but with the engine being the only thing connected to my start battery, running around at 2k RPM should not flatten the battery!)

So, does anyone have any ideas what is going on here?? Alternatively, does anyone know a Yamaha mechanic that knows their stuff about the electrics that they can recommend on the gold coast to tell me what is going on??

Cheers,
Travis

Chimo
21-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Check your PMs

Cheers
Chimo

Donny Boy
21-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Hey guys,

Alternatively, does anyone know a Yamaha mechanic that knows their stuff about the electrics that they can recommend on the gold coast to tell me what is going on??

Cheers,
Travis

Mate,

Mark at MC Marine in Coomera, near Riviera Boats. Mobile 0418 226 198
In the same shed is CM Marine Electronics. Guys name is Chris. 0414 517 738
Both guns on Yamahas.
Good Luck. ;)