PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird 997cx Side Imaging combo?

breakthelines
20-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Looks like my parents are going to buy me an early graduation present in the form of some for my new boat.

Is it worth spend this sort of coin on this unit, was looking at the humminbird 798cx SI combo until my parents dropped the ball! :D

hodges4
21-01-2010, 06:53 AM
If you check out some of the Humminbird sites I'm pretty sure you'll find comparison charts out there like this http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=25.0
Bigger is always better, easier to read and better mapping graphics.
The mounting system is different and I believe there are lockable knobs available for the 797 for added security.
Also the 997 is a discontinued model, being replaced by 998 so they should be going cheaper if you can find one.

John

breakthelines
21-01-2010, 05:16 PM
If you check out some of the Humminbird sites I'm pretty sure you'll find comparison charts out there like this http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=25.0
Bigger is always better, easier to read and better mapping graphics.
The mounting system is different and I believe there are lockable knobs available for the 797 for added security.
Also the 997 is a discontinued model, being replaced by 998 so they should be going cheaper if you can find one.

John

What sort of price would i be looking at?

hodges4
22-01-2010, 11:33 AM
I've no idea on pricing. Just check around the stores or their sites.
I know they dropped by many hundreds of dollars in US.
BLA who distribute Humminbird in Aus may hold off on price reduction until nearly every one of the old model is sold.

John

8astripey
22-01-2010, 01:54 PM
mate
i have a 997c si and it is great, all up paid $2000 including shipping and postage from usa. 998 is the newer model with faster processor but i see on some sites you can get the 1197 still for $2000 us which would be about $2500 by the time you got it into aus + 300>400 for a card. that unit is worth every cent. still coming to grips with the side imaging and now free downimaging update. as i fish in 50>80 of salt water on the outer reefs it is showing up some good bommies and reef structure that i would never have know was there. all up more than happy with the 997. as i said still getting used to downimaging and settings.