PDA

View Full Version : Couple more Mondy questions

yellahunter
20-01-2010, 09:25 PM
hey guys,

just a couple more questions,

unfortunately i dont have a GPS in my sounder,
i have read that its imperative when fishing Mondy at night, if you want to make it back to camp ;D. would this be the case..?

does anyone know if you can hire these anywhere..?
i will eventually upgrade the sounder to suit, but doesnt seem realistic to buy a handheld model for one trip to the dam. any ideas on this guys..?

also ive read a lot of posts in the last couple of weeks and have managed to piece together some really good info. Hopefully this will come together with a bit of luck when we get up there. what i cant seem to find a lot of info on is how much gear one can expect to lose on a three day trip to Mondy..

Ive fished a few dams over the years and some are notably more snaggy than others. I happy losing lures to snags and fish but at the same time dont want to go and buy half a tackle shop if i wont use it straight away. Would say 3-4 packs of plastics and 4-5 hardbodies do the trick or is there everychance im likely to lose them in a session..
Im assuming the timber would definately help in thinning out the tackle box..
what do you guys reccommend to a barra dam newbie in terms of lure numbers..

any help is appreciated

NAGG
20-01-2010, 09:47 PM
A GPS / track plotter is a necessity if you venture past bass straight & have to come back after dark ( Even though the main river bed is quite distinguishable up to D - it is very easy to become disorientated after dark ......... That where the chart plotter comes into play.
Have a look at the map or google earth to see the twists & turns
A quality spot light is a necessity

Chris

robersl
21-01-2010, 06:37 AM
hey guys,

just a couple more questions,

unfortunately i dont have a GPS in my sounder,
i have read that its imperative when fishing Mondy at night, if you want to make it back to camp ;D. would this be the case..?

does anyone know if you can hire these anywhere..?
i will eventually upgrade the sounder to suit, but doesnt seem realistic to buy a handheld model for one trip to the dam. any ideas on this guys..?

also ive read a lot of posts in the last couple of weeks and have managed to piece together some really good info. Hopefully this will come together with a bit of luck when we get up there. what i cant seem to find a lot of info on is how much gear one can expect to lose on a three day trip to Mondy..

Ive fished a few dams over the years and some are notably more snaggy than others. I happy losing lures to snags and fish but at the same time dont want to go and buy half a tackle shop if i wont use it straight away. Would say 3-4 packs of plastics and 4-5 hardbodies do the trick or is there everychance im likely to lose them in a session..
Im assuming the timber would definately help in thinning out the tackle box..
what do you guys reccommend to a barra dam newbie in terms of lure numbers..

any help is appreciated

My First trip i went up there with 5 hardbodies and 3 pkts of slick rigs and landed 2 barra and lost another ,you do not have to fish the sticks to get fish i think i have only lost 3 lures in 9 trips and 1 of those was a viper so nagg would say thats not counted as a lure;D i have straightened a couple of hooks on slick rigs on logs and the odd fish ,I do not have a gps and i only fish till just after dark around the main basin and birds bay and come back on the spottie it's not to hard there and you will get fish as well,

what dates are you heading up there may be some ausfishes up there

shane

Tropicaltrout
21-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Mate if you interested I have a handheld one with a few tracks still on it at Mondy I just up graded boat and no longer need it it one of those etrex ones. Its only been used once still got the box so its yours very cheap if ya want it give us a PM..

gav73
21-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey Yella,
Don't read to much into it , when I started chasing barra I was told you need all the gear under the sun. Now Ive got enough lures to sink a battle ship and I only use 5 of them max. Like the boys are saying be back around the ramp area before dark if you haven't got a gps. I would suggest on the first day have a good look around and don't be scared to ask people if there are anything you should have to look out for. You will have a ball it's a big dam so you've got heaps to look at and try, when are you going.
Cheers Gav

yellahunter
21-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Mate if you interested I have a handheld one with a few tracks still on it at Mondy I just up graded boat and no longer need it it one of those etrex ones. Its only been used once still got the box so its yours very cheap if ya want it give us a PM..

Hey Nath,

sounds good, PM Sent mate

yellahunter
21-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey Yella,
Don't read to much into it , when I started chasing barra I was told you need all the gear under the sun. Now Ive got enough lures to sink a battle ship and I only use 5 of them max. Like the boys are saying be back around the ramp area before dark if you haven't got a gps. I would suggest on the first day have a good look around and don't be scared to ask people if there are anything you should have to look out for. You will have a ball it's a big dam so you've got heaps to look at and try, when are you going.
Cheers Gav

Thanks Gav,
mate we will be there from 26th - 28th Feb

anyone else going to be up there then...?

darylive
21-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Ben there is plenty of water to fish closer to the ramp so head back to A or Bird bay for a sunset fish and you will be sweet. From there you can find your way back no worries but don't get caught further up. If nothing else get a decent compass.

gav73
21-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Mate I will just miss ya I turn up on the 30th hope ya get onto a few .
Cheers
Gav

Tropicaltrout
22-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Its a daunting place everywhere looks fishy! Try you best to look at the water wind and Bait! put those three into the perspective and you should be in the right spot. the best tip mate I can give is when casting fish slow , plenty of Pauses and small eratic twitches...

Tailortaker
22-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Lets us know how you go mate, I'm heading up for the first time in march.