PDA

View Full Version : E10 Fuel

seastorm
20-01-2010, 05:17 PM
By the end of the year we will have 5% ethanol in all unleaded fuel.
From what I know this is ok to use, but is no good if you leave it sit for a while I think that the ethanol seperates.
I have a 180l fuel tank in my boat and like to fill it if we fish offshore but might not use all the fuel. My thoughgts where if I don't use all the fuel how can I pump the fuel out of the underfloor tanks and put it in the car without blowing myself up

FNQCairns
20-01-2010, 05:31 PM
I put the bow as high in the air as possible, disconnect the fuel hose from the engine fuel connector and poke this end into a plastic jerry can on the ground beside the engine then use the bulb to start a siphon happening, my fuel meter tells me that the siphon settles out at around 60L/H.

Fuel is then either stored or tipped from the jerry into the petrol vehicle, I try hard not to waste a drop of the precious stuff.

Cheers fnq

bigjimg
20-01-2010, 07:08 PM
As a race us humans are pretty backward if this is the best our chemists can come up with.And to think man went too the moon all that time ago.Pretty piss poor effort in my opinion.Jim

Steeler
20-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Like it or loathe it ethanol blended fuel is coming to a servo near you.Why stuff ass around decanting fuel when you can just add a stabilizer.

Cheers

Steve

black runner
20-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I have a tap and barb permanently connected and capped on the second inlet port of the fuel filter. I use this port to siphon fuel from the tank the same as FNQ. This effectively bypasses the filter element and gives a flow straight from the tank into a container and then my daughters car who somehow is always running low on juice.

Cheers

Angla
20-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Are you specifically talking about 91 ron or are you saying that 95 ron and 98 ron will have this 5% amount added as well.

Cheers
Chris

bigjimg
20-01-2010, 08:11 PM
If this is the case I hope the VMR and Coast Guard are up for all the tows due to contamination/separation etc.Jim

seastorm
20-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Are you specifically talking about 91 ron or are you saying that 95 ron and 98 ron will have this 5% amount added as well.

Cheers
Chris

One of my clients is Freedom Fuels I will be talking to the owner tomorrow and find out more

4x4frog
20-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Wasn't there some science saying you shouldn't use Ethanol for water craft because the ethanol is hygroscopic? I think they said it was Ok for trips where it was all used up but several trips on the fuel in the tank could be bad for the motor.

rowanda
20-01-2010, 09:37 PM
maybe Freedom fuels will be doing that, but I can tell you the major brands won't be. I think you'll find the gov't is bringing in that all 91 octane must containe 10% (that is it will all be E10) as they have given targets to all fuel companies of renewable fuels to sell.
Premium and above will stay the same. In saying that, I know some of the smaller brands have ethanol in their premiums aswell, the majors don't.
If you are unsure, check the particular brands website or tech helpline for accurate info.

Just remember one thing, DO NOT USE ETHANOL IN YOUR BOAT

FNQCairns
20-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Didn't Jack Boot Johnny start the ethanol ball rolling and mandate this regulation because his brother had solid holdings in an Australian ethanol plant...gotta love the corruption in our government.

i understand the higher grades of ULP will be free of the ethanol, cannot say just how long that will last.

cheers fnq

breakthelines
20-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Why not just use premium, better fuel economy even if its costs a bit more!

TimiBoy
21-01-2010, 05:28 AM
In South Oz over Christmas I asked - and they have hardly any Ethanol fuel.

I suspect this is mostly a NSW/QLD thing, designed to prop up an ailing Sugar Cane Industry, and to please the Watermelons. It certainly has nothing to do with the old chestnut - "The Environment".

Tim

myusernam
21-01-2010, 07:09 AM
I have glass tanks in my boat. Cant use e10. A few years ago i bought some unbadged e10 in darwin and it screwed the whole tank. turned the fuel and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. Fckers. thanks alex if you read this for coming to get me. that's what happened. if anyone has glass tanks stay away from e10

Stillfishun
21-01-2010, 08:19 AM
It has been documented in all the fishing publications, and information is available from all marine dealers, stating that the marine industry does not advise or recomend Ethanol in fuel.
Some fuel tanks dont like it, even in stainless tanks it will scub the tank clean and fill your filter with the muck
Engine manufacturers state do not use it.
Premium unleaded will not have ethanol, so that is what you will use

FNQCairns
21-01-2010, 08:36 AM
It's a sad scenario but whenever a person buys any fuel for any purpose these days always request a tax receipt.

cheers fnq

rowanda
21-01-2010, 09:16 AM
It has been documented in all the fishing publications, and information is available from all marine dealers, stating that the marine industry does not advise or recomend Ethanol in fuel.
Some fuel tanks dont like it, even in stainless tanks it will scub the tank clean and fill your filter with the muck
Engine manufacturers state do not use it.
Premium unleaded will not have ethanol, so that is what you will use

be careful, some Premium does at some smaller sites. I think from memory United has ethanol in one of their premiums

Mindi
21-01-2010, 01:46 PM
On getting fuel out of a tank that wont siphon......?.did it yesterday actually. Wrap your breather outlet (or two) with insulation tape to seal them (dont forget to take it off) ......stick your 12 v tyre inflating pump into the filler pipe stuffed around with plastic shopping bags to seal....the hey presto..by pressurising the tank a bit it pisses out the hose at the motor........mine would not siphon with a big filter , and a flow transducer in the line..admit I dont suck very hard.....but this works a treat.

Better to clip the airpump to the car battery if it will reach rather than making sparks around the petrol.....??

This also works real well to get fuel up to your fuel pump when your diesel runs out of fuel and pressing the little primer bulb looks like taking the rest of your life..!

Charlie
21-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Don't know about QLD but a lot of NSW servos have E10, Unleaded, Premium with ethanol and Premium without ethanol. Even Unleaded can already have already have small percentage of ethanol without labeling, I can't help but think if it's cheap there is ethanol in there somewhere.

seastorm
21-01-2010, 06:46 PM
From what I heard today All FUEL will have 5% Ethanol in it by the end of the year that includes premium

rowanda
21-01-2010, 08:31 PM
From what I heard today All FUEL will have 5% Ethanol in it by the end of the year that includes premium

Not true, only 91 will be required to be E10. Premiums will stay the same.
(as I said before, some companies use ethanol in their premiums)

and Charlie, any fuel that contains any ethanol must be labelled as such. If not labelled and if it contains Ethanol, big fines!! and should be reported to the dept of fair trading

Mindi
21-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Not true, only 91 will be required to be E10. Premiums will stay the same.
(as I said before, some companies use ethanol in their premiums)

and Charlie, any fuel that contains any ethanol must be labelled as such. If not labelled and if it contains Ethanol, big fines!! and should be reported to the dept of fair trading

Rowanda....I believe you are spot on. It is illegal to include any Ethanol without labelling it.