PDA

View Full Version : Phencit 8kg Tackle Tournament Off Gold Coast

business class
20-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Hello Guys a report from the weekend Phencit 8Kg Tournament. Overall there was around 28 boats Fishing the Tournament With an overall stat of Around 85 Blacks Tagged over the 3 Days with around 135 Hookups. Amigo Won the Tournament with 7 tagged on day 1, 2 tagged on day 2 and 6 on day 3 all on Live baits. 5 Star was second with 2 then 6 then 2 and Ice man came 3rd i believe with 1 fish less then 2nd place. we also Fished the Tournament In Murphys Law and Tagged 2 from 5 on day 1,1 from 3 on day 2 and 1 from one on day 3 and took out Champion Boat under 8m with 4 blacks tagged and 1 dollie and the lead changed a few times between us and AddiXtion. We used lures all weekend except for about 2 hrs and 30mins was where we snagged the last black to win our boat class. We also won last tagged billlfish for the Tournament which was a tow cam.
A quick story of our last billy as it is a cracka.
Our last bill fish experence was awesome as we pulled in lures as we couldnt raise a fish we bolted over and pulled up becide the gun live baiters (amigo, five star and cabolero and num nuts) with 30 mins left of the tournament and needing to tag one Bill fish to beat Addixtion. With 3 livies left the first two went down with one going off instantly only to pull up a nice 3kg Pearlie but sadly not what we were after. SO up we go again to the bait school with only 2 livies left and down they go. Suddenly the old boy feels a tug only to pull up a perfectly sliced Slimey taken from a hoo. With one livey left and 3 mins left we did one more drift. Slimey goes down and seconds count away, suddenly the drag starts to peel off with us asking weather its bottom or fish, i start backing down and drag still continues to slowly peel, we gave her a good minute to eat then i knock the boat outta gear to get tension on the line joey sets the lever drag to strike and bang we are hooked up. I call Murphys Law hooked up with a minute left still not knowing weather its a Black or rubbish, i start backing down and line starts to rise, we are praying then suddenly around 200m away we see a nice 50kg black leap outta the water and do the dance, I call it in sayin Murphys Law Hooked up to a Billy. Next we were informed from game base we only have 30 mins to tag her on 8kg so pressure is on. After the first 15 mins of fighting going up and backing down a few times and me have n the old boy and joey soaked from backing up into the slop we see the fish, we get one shot and the old fellar misses as he couldnt see from the angle of the glare, we cry noooooo as the black heads deep once again, so we drive off and back up another 2 times to no luck. I call game base requesting time check, the reply is 3 minutes, so i call to joey to up the drag as this is our last go. Drag goes up to around 6kg on only 8kg line. We start backing down hard as we have 80m out and tag needs to be in in 3 minutes. With around a foot off water slushing on the deck and boys copping waves over the back constintly i persist in going hard doing around 6 knots. We agreed if we get another chance ill tag her as the younger eyes are able to see a little better lol. suddenly the fish starts to rise with 20m left, hear she comes we all start screaming, then suddenly shes around 15m on the surface away we quickly swap as i grab the tag pole and i see the plat come on the reel, now she is close...... then there she is, i am on the duck boards with tag pole in hand when i go for the shot, i loose balance as i lean out and end up jumping in to the water and taggin the fish in mid air......as i pop my head up i say tags in tags in, the old boys calls it to game base tags in, and with 30 secs left on the clock we were informed, as i get back on the boat from outta the water we carry on yahooin like pezest men. with the fish layin there still beside the boat and tag in her side we cut her free to live another day and thank god she wanted to play the game. we get all cheers from the boys and a congrats from Addixtion who we over took with that last billy. We were stoked to take out the under 8m class and also win the tow cam. Overall in was a fantastic comp and everyone who fished it was great company. Cant wait till the next one. Hope ya liked our little episode with our last billy as its a story we will never forget. Also Congrats to smithy who fished on tenaces as they came 4th overall i believe.

Cheers
Matty

ON-THE-CHEW
20-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Well done on the win, sounds like a hectic last 30 minutes. Does it count as a tag for your boat if technically you where not in it ? :)

Andrew

Spot82
20-01-2010, 02:15 PM
That certainly is a story you won't forget anytime soon! Thanks for sharing!

Anthony

mirage
20-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Fantastic story, well done!

Smithy
20-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Matty,

well done to you guys to win the small boat section. The story in its entirity was heaps better than the abridged version at the preso. Good to get your firsts in the comp too after quite a few hours trolling this season.

I fished with my usual Nauti Suzanne crew on the 56' Precision Tenacious. I ran the deck and didn't get much time on the sticks but she is an awesome rig to fish out of. We had our chances with 10-11 blacks on for the tournament but we only managed to tag 6 to come in 4th overall.

First day we jigged yakkas just off the Seaway then put the gear out to troll north to the Water Tower/Pin area. We trolled past No-Frills the 5.3m Poly who were first to hook up just after 7:30. It took them two hours to tag their fish and in the ensuing time Amigo got the first tag of the tournament away followed by Iceman and Just Teazin I think. We found some nice columns of bait and started working them getting a double hookup which we were successful on and took the lead for a few minutes with one each for Nick and Tim. One on a skip bait and one on a swim bait both on the same side. Resetting the gear and we had one up instantly on the swim bait which we missed and stole the gar off even though it had a couple of goes at it. A while later we had a screaming strike on shotgun which took 200m before popping the dacron through the double of the wind-on. From then on we worked the same area religiously but the bait never looked the same. On the wander back to the Seaway we hooked up in front of the Water Tower with minutes to spare and tagged our third of the day at 16:04 in extra time for Theona.

Next day we headed straight back to where we got Theona's fish. It was off bait and sure enough the bait was still there. The SPGSFC boats were on fire that morning with Saltshaker getting 3 and at one stage Murphys Law and In Deep were all hooked up together. We did lap after lap on good bait but nothing happened so I talked the crew into the going to Spot X. That is where Five Star got 6 for the day. We had two bites tagging one for Theona and popping one off on the first run. We also leadered a hammerhead that ate one of our baits for something to do.

Next day it was back to Spot X for us and we got the first tag of the day away at 7:34 for Van. Luckily we were out there nice and early looking around and stocked up a good bait tank full of slimeys. Once the boat traffic started they got hard to jig and we would have only jigged maybe half a dozen yakkas and slimeys for the whole rest of the day. The bait went to pieces mid-morning and all the boats there got the wanders up but we stuck it out. They all probably went chasing Amigo who were on fire with triple and double hookups galore all weekend. Our persistence paid off and sure enough the bait formed up and lifted and we went back to live baiting from trolling and hooked up straight away. This one was a big Spot X size black which didn’t do much at the start but got frisky boatside charging the boat and with it’s size it was not the niblest thing for juvenile blacks. I went for the mid air jumping tag shot and as the double came past me it knicked my glove and it was all over red rover. The bait still looked good next drift and sure enough we were on again. Theona once again challenging Suzy Clark for champion female but Suzy had her all weekend with a tagged wahoo for a field goal separating them. By then our livey supply had dwindled and there was an early cease fishing time of 2:00 which came about just as that bite was ending.

Congratulations to the Amigo (35 Carribean) crew owned and skippered by Tony Painter with crew of Kevin Ballintine (Champion Angler), Graeme Roggevan, Mick Keogh and Kim Jones. 13 tagged fish in tournament conditions was a great effort.

Jabba_
20-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Well done Matt.... I landed my first black on Saturday.. I also had one off the worst bouts off seasickness I have ever had.. Forgot the travelcalm..

I also scored a nice lure and about 400mt off line thanks to 40ft Black Watch called Yvonne... He is lucky I didn't throw a 12 once snapper lead at his fly bridge...

business class
20-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Cheers smithy You guys fished really well congrats in coming 4th, and was good to finally meet you. and cheers jabba yeah that 40ft blackwatch also decided to run through our bait midway through a good bite which was weird as the skipper is normally very considerate.

Cheers
matty

TCSunCoast
20-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Sounds like a great comp, what an excellent story.
Could imagine what it would have been like telling it on the night.

Congrats

Tony

MyWay
20-01-2010, 11:16 PM
congratulation to all winners

Smithy that is comp u wont forgot in hurry excellent story

myway

business class
21-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Sounds like a great comp, what an excellent story.
Could imagine what it would have been like telling it on the night.

Congrats

Tony

Yeah we had a few drinks so it was coming out slurred;D ;D

Midnight
22-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Congratulations on the win Matty, persistance pays off. And what an awesome story! hahaha you wont forget that in a hurry!

Well done!

Cheers,
Myles

Smithy
10-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Nick on the double hookup.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/P1150181.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/P1150185.jpg
Tim sent to the naughty corner on the double hookup.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/P1150189.jpg
Tim back in the cockpit.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/P1150183.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/P1150180.jpg
The flybridge.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/P1150182.jpg
Bruce leadering.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/P1150194.jpg
Fish in the boat.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/P1150201.jpg
One of Sunday's fish.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/P1170205.jpg
One of Theona's fish.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/P1170210.jpg