PDA

View Full Version : The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

Damned67
19-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi All,
Just curious on what people spend on their average fishing trip?
Thought it might be an interesting thread....
Me?
I'm in love with my RJayz burley cannister, so there's $10 for their burley packet.
Could probably count on another $10-15 for frozen bait, just because I like a variety of baits.
Probably at least one packet of SPs, another $10.
I usually go through about 10L of fuel, so with oil that's about $15.
And toss in another $5 for some hooks as I don't tend to reuse them for more than one trip....
So, about $50. And that's excluding rod, reel and line upgrades/replacements...
And I'm sure there's people who typically spend much, much more....

Of course, we can always paddle our canoe out, pump some yabbies, and fish away for a cost free day... and with an impending divorce, I'm sure I'll be having to fish 'cheaper' in the near future!

So, what about the rest of you?

Cheers!

TimD
19-01-2010, 11:18 PM
When i fish with mates i chip in for fuel, usually supply the bags of ice and supply the Red Rock Deli chips, I don't chip in for bait as i usually only fish with lures.

So it costs me between $20 and $50 for petrol
2 or 3 bags of ice costs about $12
A couple of bags of chips costs about $8
A bottle of water and a couple of cans of V costs me around $6 or $7

So about $77 all up for a days fishing

I rarely have to purchase any tackle as my "GEAR BAG" consists of plenty

$600 or so worth of TT jigheads, around $280 worth of plastics, around $350 worth of small bream hardbodies, around $200 worth of vibrating blades, around $70 worth of flurocarbon leader, around $200 worth of bigger hardbodies, around $150 worth of surface lures and around $50 worth of metal slugs. There is probably around $50 worth of other stuff in there as well like weedless hooks for bullet weighting plastics etc.

So if you include all the gear in my "GEAR BAG" then it costs me a fortune to go fishing

Yes i am a tackle junkie and need HELP ;D

cheers tim :)

STUIE63
19-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I don't even want to think about how much as it would scare me but probably around $200 a trip
Stuie

Damned67
19-01-2010, 11:37 PM
$600 or so worth of TT jigheads, around $280 worth of plastics, around $350 worth of small bream hardbodies, around $200 worth of vibrating blades, around $70 worth of flurocarbon leader, around $200 worth of bigger hardbodies, around $150 worth of surface lures and around $50 worth of metal slugs. There is probably around $50 worth of other stuff in there as well like weedless hooks for bullet weighting plastics etc.

So if you include all the gear in my "GEAR BAG" then it costs me a fortune to go fishing

Yes i am a tackle junkie and need HELP ;D

Boy, do I hear you there!!!
I'm addicted to SPs and probably have close to 100 bags of different plastics (OK, probably somewhere between 70-80 bags, based on my last count MANY months ago!!), and easily a few hundred $ on hardbodies!!! Especially poppers!
I would say I easily spend close to $50 a week on tackle (lures, SPs, hooks etc), amassing my collection, but I don't end up going through too much on a trip out.
I'm the biggest sucker for advertising. Be it DVD or magazine, if they use/promote something that I don't have, I'm off to the tackle store! It's not unusual for me to walk into the tackle store and be asked 'hey, where've you been, we only seen you twice this week?'!!!

TimD
19-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Last week i went to charltons at Redbank and bought $100 worth of TT jig heads, when i got home i started putting them in my jig head container, my wife said have you got enough jig heads in that container or what, so what else could i do but go back the following day and buy another $100 worth.

Maybe she was be sarcastic, i dunno......... I just thought she might have thought i needed some more :P

MyEscape
20-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Damned67

How would you use $5 in oil with only 10 litres of fuel?

I bought my current boat almost 2 years ago, after around 45 hours I still have not used the 4 litre container of oil.

Actually I would say all of my trips (estuary fishing) would cost me less than $20 including fuel. Would use more in the vehicle getting there and back than the cost of the fishing trip.

Steve

NAGG
20-01-2010, 05:58 AM
Damned67

How would you use $5 in oil with only 10 litres of fuel?

Steve

Must be ETEC oil ....=.... $$$$$$$ :'(

Knotpretty
20-01-2010, 06:44 AM
It's best not to even think of the total cost to go fishing. But a trip off Ballina with bait around $50 cheap day out (that's for two). To play a round of golf and hire a buggy is $45 ahead, so my day out fishing I consider cheap. My hobby is fishing so to trickle a Little money into it is no big deal. Yes I run an Etec. Mojo

Damned67
20-01-2010, 07:01 AM
30HP Two stroke.....
10L @ $1.30/L= $13
1:50 ratio= 200mL
1L bottle of 2 stroke oil ~$10
200mL ~ $2
Fuel + oil= ~$15

Something like that ;D

castlemaine
20-01-2010, 07:16 AM
There's been a thread like this prior.

How do you place a cost on ...

...a picture perfect day on the water with you only, your rod, no wife & no kids & no fish
...the face of your kid when he/she pulls up a good fish
...swimming on a beach whether it South Straddie or Horseshoe Bay on a great Qld summer's day.
... spending quality time with real discussions, with the family ie no ipods, dvds, xboxes, wii, etc
... a day with your mates speaking crap and laughing your guts out

$500 seems insignificant.

Cheers8-)

Noelm
20-01-2010, 07:31 AM
you need to take into consideration the type of fishing, like I might go whiting fishing, the cost is next to nothing, I just walk to the beach, catch my own bait and use maybe 2 hooks, but then next trip might be over the shelf for Marlin, so the cost could be $100 fuel, $15 Ice, $1,000's rods and reels (of course these are not consumed) food, even swivels at about $6 a go are expensive, but then a Snapper trip for me is about $5 fuel, maybe some pillies (I usually use Tuna for bait, caught while gamefishing) and maybe 1 bag of ice in the summer, so it is all variable on fishing styles.

finga
20-01-2010, 07:32 AM
For me where I am ATM ie freshwater dam
Shrimps for bait...nicks
500ml of fuel for the boat.....$0.75 (only have to go 600m to the spot from where we launch)
Fuel for car to go 15-20km round trip...$7.00 max
tackle.... might loose a hook every month so...didly squat.
So for that price I can go for 2 sessions a day if time permits. I normally fish (If i go fishing that is) for 2 hours around dawn and dusk.
And to boot we don't have to wash the boat if I don't want to.

But sadly that still makes a kilo of fish worth $283.89 :(

Oops. Forgot the SIP's permit...whatever that's worth per year divided by 2 (the number of trips per year it seems)

robersl
20-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Ting fishing costs me about $20 for fuel for car and boat as i dig or pump my own bait,
But barra fishing the Dams comes at a much higher price
a normal trip 2days with fuel ,food drinks, camp fee's no change out of $300 then you add the about $1000 worth of lures and plastics plus i normally spend about $50 a trip on more lures ect then 3 rods and reels at $450 each

shane

HeadBanger
20-01-2010, 08:27 AM
It depends on where I'm fishing really.

- $6 - $20 on bait, unless I catch my own
- $15 for food
- Another $10 for hot chips or cold drinks (if there's a shop around)
- I don't own a boat so no fuel costs:D

Say around, $40 max for my trips. Seems like an insignificant price, compared to some of you guys.

Thanks,
Kaidon:freak:

jake0
20-01-2010, 08:56 AM
I don't even want to think about how much as it would scare me but probably around $200 a trip
Stuie

Ditto.........

Salad Fingers
20-01-2010, 09:53 AM
For me up here in the top end, usually 3hr drive each way, so 60-70L of diesel, whats that, $100?
60-70L of Unleaded for the boat, $100.
Ice, $10, Carton of piss, $50, food, $30.
Lost tackle, $$$50 at least.....

Definitely adds up... $340-$350 give or take..

Noelm
20-01-2010, 10:14 AM
for those that do a bit of game or long distance offshore stuff, I guess when the total cost of ownership and running expenses for the boat are tallied up, it would be far cheaper to book a charter when you go fishing, then you have nothing to maintain or tow, nothing to store in the yard, no cleaning up after, no bait freezers and stuff, in the end we would probably be miles in front.

Chimo
20-01-2010, 10:23 AM
True Noelm but to heck with that, the boats are the only mistress I'm allowed to have.

Cheers
Chimo

gr hilly
20-01-2010, 12:25 PM
oh mate i work and fish but work kinda takes over hrs wise but i cant take all my fishing gear with me ive got way to much i am a tackle junky i would have at least 100 hard bodies and the same 100 packs of sp three tackle boxes 20 to 30 boxes of hooks sinkers everywhere 20 rods 10 reals no crap iether spare spools of line spare spools for 4 of my reels i could go on but i wont bore you i have down sized from a 20 ft glass boat to a 4.1 tinnie getting to old to handle the big boat $20 bucks fuel and a bag of ice but i still use live bait
tight lines hilly

Reefmaster
20-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Man I wish I had some of your blokes fishing costs.. I guess its the price you pay to do what you love most

The past few trips have averaged this

360ltrs of fuel in the boat $450
120ltrs in the 4x4 to the destination $140
Bait usually around $120.00
Ice $20.00

Total $730.00 not including food and tackle ....

Gee I hate looking at it on paper but hey it's my choice to do what i love best.... Not sure you can put a price on it..

Regards
Greg

TimD
20-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Man I wish I had some of your blokes fishing costs.. I guess its the price you pay to do what you love most

The past few trips have averaged this

360ltrs of fuel in the boat $450
120ltrs in the 4x4 to the destination $140
Bait usually around $120.00
Ice $20.00

Total $730.00 not including food and tackle ....

Gee I hate looking at it on paper but hey it's my choice to do what i love best.... Not sure you can put a price on it..

Regards
Greg

I guess if you share the costs with 3 or 4 guys it would work out pretty cheap, i would rather pay to fish with you and bring home a good haul than go on a charter and probably only have a couple of small squire in the esky.

Scott nthQld
20-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I'd probably send somehwere around $50 for an average trip, includes fuel for boat and car, drinks, food, ice and terminal tackle I might lose. I haven't bought bait in god knows how long, I either catch my own and fish livies (usually have a few left over for dead baits next time) or use lures of various descriptions.

jelifish
20-01-2010, 04:06 PM
If I'm fishing in Tin Can Inlet/ Sandy Straits then $50 fuel for car and boat. $10 bait. I don't include food and drinks because I would have them anyway. Outside is a different story. At least $100 fuel just for the boat, $50 for bait and tackle just depends, some days none and other days you seem to go through heaps. Always go through a couple of bait jigs but they pay for themselves.
Jelifish

FNQCairns
20-01-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't like charters much, well they are ok i suppose, much prefer the freedom of owning a boat and going wherever the wind takes me, even if i don't get out much.

$110 fuel
$12 oil
$10 bait
$10 diesel

$142 cash gets me a full day on the water about 10 times a year (last year anyway) and up to 3 hours total engine time for 140km range but....

If a person also assumes boat/trailer rego, depreciation, interest, servicing etc in my instance I can add another per trip cost of:

$30 rego
$5 servicing
$50 depreciation.

Dunno about the depreciation fully as i built my boat up myself pretty cheap so it's minimal.

That makes for a bare to the bones $227 per trip.

MMmm that's getting up there....

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
20-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I hate threads like this... If I wrote in this thread and the Missus ever read it.. that would be the end of me fishing trips :)

Mrs Ronnie H
20-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi all
Haven't really added it up. Who cares as long as we are doing something we enjoy. Started a thread awhile back on what we spend on gear , ice,fuel etc and to be truthfull if we tallied it all up over a year we would all probably have a coronary.

Besides fuel, ice, something to eat and drink and bait we probably spend more on tackle. Last visit to a tackle shop and we walked out with a handfull of bits and pieces and nearly $200 bucks worse off. That was a light day??

In the end does it really matter what you spend---

Fishing is as they say --PRICELESS so to me it is worth every cent I spend to go out in the boat and even if i catch nothing i have still had a wonderful day on the water doing something i really love.

Ronnie

PinHead
20-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't like charters much, well they are ok i suppose, much prefer the freedom of owning a boat and going wherever the wind takes me, even if i don't get out much.

$110 fuel
$12 oil
$10 bait
$10 diesel

$142 cash gets me a full day on the water about 10 times a year (last year anyway) and up to 3 hours total engine time for 140km range but....

If a person also assumes boat/trailer rego, depreciation, interest, servicing etc in my instance I can add another per trip cost of:

$30 rego
$5 servicing
$50 depreciation.

Dunno about the depreciation fully as i built my boat up myself pretty cheap so it's minimal.

That makes for a bare to the bones $227 per trip.

MMmm that's getting up there....

cheers fnq

fnq..try having a boat in the water at a marina..about 200 / week whether you start the thing or not. Not in any rush to go back there.

kitty_cat
20-01-2010, 07:21 PM
dont want to think about it ,

sleepygreg
20-01-2010, 08:26 PM
One of the guys in our club books In The Black for a sole charter at least once a month during the year....sometimes twice amonth during gamefish season. He takes his son and a coupla mates...or son's mates. He is not short of a quid and could probably afford to own his own boat of similar ilk, but works on the theory that.....He doesnt have to worry about mooring a boat, doesnt have to clean it afterwards, has a paid deckie to look after the fishos, food and drinks are provided, because he is the sole charterer...he still has the choice of where and when he fishes, and what food is provided (by negotiation of course). He is a bit of a tackle junky though so he still has that expense. And he doesnt have his money tied up in an asset that will never return its value (after expenses depreciation etc). He also gets to fish rather than worrying about driving the boat.

Greg

lunchcutter
20-01-2010, 09:01 PM
well im very lucky my wife doesnt go on this web site well
car fuel there and back $30
boat fuel $200
bait $50
ice $15
food +drinks $15
all for a good day out

Damned67
20-01-2010, 10:42 PM
In the end does it really matter what you spend---

Fishing is as they say --PRICELESS so to me it is worth every cent I spend to go out in the boat and even if i catch nothing i have still had a wonderful day on the water doing something i really love.

Ronnie

I think you nailed it right there.
If I'm suddenly completely broke (which is about to happen), then I simply scale back what I do. Take the canoe up the creeks if I can't afford the boat fuel. Pump yabbies if I can't afford bait. I doubt that it'll get that desperate (for every week), but I can certainly spend less on my fishing.... and I ain't giving it up for anything!!!
Plus, 95% of my fishing trips, my son is with me... and that is PRICELESS!!!

3rd degree
20-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeh it all adds up... Gear, food, fuel, about $100-$150...

Cheaper than a night on the piss!

Cheers
Jim

sjp2
21-01-2010, 02:57 PM
my fishing trip the other day was to the fishmarket,bought 5 whole whiting total cost $10.50 ,total weight 600grams, total enjoyment Nil ,methinks i'd rather go fishing for them

charleville
21-01-2010, 07:12 PM
COSTS

Typical variable costs:

Fuel $15 (4 stroke)
Bait $15 (bought in bulk)
Hooks $5 (Mostly fishing reefs so I tend to lose a few Gamakatsu gangsters)
Car fuel used towing boat: $2 (LPG vehicle)

Ice is free because I freeze milk bottles of water in my fishing freezer at home

Other costs:
Boat and trailer rego averaged per week: $5
Boat insurance averaged per week: $5
Annual motor service averaged per week: $10
Other non specific boat maintenance averaged per week; $2
VMR and Coastguard subscriptions averaged per week: $2.50

Depreciation on boat: $XXXXX per year
Opportunity cost of capital spent on boat $XXXX per year

I have been fishing twice this week so that has cost me $74 in direct variable costs. Due to weather, I don't get to go fishing every week so the $200 per month that I budget for bait and fuel for fishing is probably about right. There are several other costs not included above - such as averaged weekly cost of fishing line and amortised cost of reels, bait freezer at home, etc but most of that is very discretionary.

BENEFITS

Fish meals: maybe $20 per week
Happiness quotient: $2 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

:D :D :D :D :D :D

BTW, my other hobby of woodwork may not be cheaper per week by any stretch of the imagination.

On the other hand, after a lifetime of weekly business travel, I am delighted to do absolutely no travel in my retirement. After a lifetime of living in and experiencing the artificiality of five star hotels and restaurants, I would pretty well pay money to not have to eat at a restaurant. After a lifetime of trying to be one of the lads following all of the popular spectator sports, I have realised that I am not a spectator and therefore spend absolutely zilch on attending any sporting events and spend only a modest amount per year on concerts and the like. ie I like "doing" and not "spectating"; fishing is a great "doing" activity.

try having a boat in the water at a marina..about 200 / week whether you start the thing or not. Not in any rush to go back there.

My wife has also quite rightly observed that I like to potter around with my boat because it is sitting in my yard where I can. (a "doing" activity). I could not do that if it were racked in a marina. I think that she is right.

Final observation: It is cheaper to go fishing than go to a doctor and indeed, for those of us who might be on blood pressure tablets etc, it is probably cheaper to go fishing than to pay your monthly chemist's bill. 8-)

RAT-KING
23-01-2010, 06:30 AM
A river sesh isnt 2 expensive prob just 15l of fuel and a top up of my goto lures and plastics but.... a pelagic session is 2 much 2 think about, the biggest problem is i dont eat fish so its not like even if i score big i dont gain or save anything jst the experience of being with the mates fighting out a great fish!!!

Flex
23-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Also have to add in the equation the amount of fish you bring home to eat.
If your like me, its not every trip, but it does happen:)

My average trip offshore from yeppoon is about $150-$200, thats 4 blokes,food and bait.

Usually you come back with average of 5-6kgs of fillets each(nothing to excessive pending bag limits ect) Similar fish sells for $30-40kg in the shop.

5kg x $30kg(usually quality reef fish is closer to $40)= $150

So when you think about it, your eating quality fresh reef fish for Free!+ had an awesome day on the water

Mod11
23-01-2010, 12:03 PM
With all this hard earned dollars we spend on our leisure time, it amazes me that this is not turned into a big issue at election times.

Recreational anglers spend billions....yes BILLIONS of dollars on their passtime but when it comes to put a tick in a box at the ballot they will vote for personalities, who their dad's voted for or a 900 dollar stimulas or some other lame excuse.

We are getting shafted big time here in Queensland and for all the dollars spent we seem to be doing nothing to protect those dollars or leisure time.

Recreational fishing is the second biggest revenue source for this government and we get sweet F/A representation on decision making. We are an easy target.

FYI.... rec fishers in Aust put 1.85 billion dollars into the economy in 2001 and that is without income tax paid by the thousands that work within the industry and GST. ( figure at 2009 is closer to 3 billion. )

It will not matter how much you spend to go fishing or per kilo. Soon we'll be locked out of our waters.

Further, there are moves afoot to STOP ALL FISHING in the Coral Sea. That is from nth qld to Port macquarie. It is from 3nm offshore to 200nms. SO people, any offshore guys will be ######ed.

Didn't know about this....... ??????? Well Garret and Rudd have already declared it a Conservation Zone.....................another sneaky Xmas gift to rec fishoes. >:( >:( >:(

Sorry to hijack the thread a little........

Ronnie is right, doesn't matter what it costs........ health benefits outweigh any associated costs.

chilli

Fishobloke
25-01-2010, 10:01 AM
There's been a thread like this prior.

How do you place a cost on ...

...a picture perfect day on the water with you only, your rod, no wife & no kids & no fish
...the face of your kid when he/she pulls up a good fish
...swimming on a beach whether it South Straddie or Horseshoe Bay on a great Qld summer's day.
... spending quality time with real discussions, with the family ie no ipods, dvds, xboxes, wii, etc
... a day with your mates speaking crap and laughing your guts out

$500 seems insignificant.

Cheers8-)

Spot on mate, nothing better!
Cost for me is cheaper though, around 50-60 bucks in my own boat.
Unless i go out with the old boys, ouch in the pocket.
Fishobloke

sandbankmagnet
25-01-2010, 05:22 PM
You guys get off easy. Factor in the cost of alcohol on a 5 day boys only houseboat trip and then come talk to me.

snodger 08
09-02-2010, 05:38 PM
I estimate my upcoming Mondy trip would be around the $1000 mark, even using the company ute. A day in the bay around $100.
Am now taking sponsorship applications "L"
Steve

darrend65
09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Chilli - can you please point me in the direction of where I can find out more info on the 'conservation zone'. I searched the other night, but came up empty after reading a similar EcoFisher post.

Not doubting anyone, but I think a few links pointing to some reliable, relevant details on what is being considered wouldn't go astray. I for one would be interested in doing more to oppose this if I had all the info.

trymyluck
09-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Further, there are moves afoot to STOP ALL FISHING in the Coral Sea. That is from nth qld to Port macquarie. It is from 3nm offshore to 200nms. SO people, any offshore guys will be ######ed.

chilli

Unfortunately it won't just be the offshore guys that will screwed, where do you think they will be fishing????????

Mark

I try not to put a price on fishing, it costs what it costs.;D

bdaearth
10-02-2010, 08:57 PM
[quote=finga;1121018]But sadly that still makes a kilo of fish worth $283.89 :(

quote]

That some cheap fish I hate to think what my per kilo price is::) ::)

Xahn1960
11-02-2010, 06:05 PM
If I can keep my trip costs under or about $2,000 I consider myself lucky.... Just part of the joy of living in Mt Isa........... Consequently I don't get out to often...

Bill.

Scalem
13-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Ignoring the costs of buying a boat in the 1st place, all my fishing crew chip in for fuel which at times seems more than generous, I run a Yammy 4s 115 which is surprisingly economical and often my deckies more than cover the fuel.. So every other trip deckies who paid generously last time get a free trip. When your mates who come out are genuinely looking to contribute to a good day of fun, the expense becomes insignificant, I don't really focus on it then.

In the preparation though, I have worked on reducing the costs by:
Trying to stick to one type of fishing. Never tried fly fishing, don't want to. There are a lot of pelagics out at the moment, but I am not rushing out to get a bucket load of skirted lures without consulting someone else who can show me one that worked on a recent outing.
I make my own Jig Heads. The dollar Value of what I have in stock after making them would be hundreds and I save about 1 or two dollars a hook.
Whatever plastics are left over from a trip are looked after in a sealed container.
None of my gear is in the upper range of quality. Penn applause reels, ATC and Berkley dropshots, when washed in warm water after a trip certainly look after me. Casualties happen occasionally, but you can damage or break a custom rod in the $500.00 class as easily as I broke one of mine recently. If a reel becomes noisy, poor drag or difficult to turn, I have spare bearings, (know where to get them), drag washer grease and a little ingenuity to service them myself. My Applause 4000 is now 5 years old and still going strong, gets used every trip!!Hang the expense after all said and done, I've done all my research in preparation to try minimise costs. A great day on the water with experienced deckhands( can't guarantee that on a charter unless you get the numbers yourself) who are mates... Was I out of pocket $50.00 last time or $150.00?? Don't care!! It's always priceless getting on the water with mates.

Scalem

rosco1974
08-09-2011, 10:31 PM
dont reallly worry bout the cost of a trip out.if i did worry i would give it up and take up lawn bowls.is hard to put a price on what i call the ultimate(spelling) leisure time
cheers rosco

Defore
09-09-2011, 09:48 AM
The previous boat was a 20ft. Didn't have the car to tow it or the room to stow it, so kept it at Horizon Shores trailer storage. Cost $2000 per year.
A trip out usually cost $100 for fuel.
The last year I had it, due to work commitments and weather, only took it out once. So that trip cost me $2100.
Have down sized to a nice little 4.3m trihull with 50hp.
Car tows it fine, stays in it's place of honor at home.
Now a trip costs approx $30 and I can tow it to lots more areas for variety.
If I need an offshore hit a charter cost about $250.
I'm a much happier fisherman and my wife doesn't complain about the cost, just the lack of fish. I didn't say I was a better fisherman.:-[

Jarrah Jack
09-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Most trips about $10. I generally catch my own bait. My main fishing spot is 5 minutes by car then 5 minutes by boat. Snapper fishing in the bigger boat would be three times that @ $30.

We eat fresh fish for a good 9 months a year. We eat so much that the Mrs doesn't complain the slightest about the cost of fishing. She knows she on a good deal. ;D

Mossy247
09-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Well I look at it this way.....

1 consultation with physcologist - 150 bucks...... Still don't feel any better and just forked 5 fishing trips.

1 Day fishing ..... couple jig heads, a bag of plastics and some leader line and some fuel + oil = 20 - 30 bucks.
The satisfaction of getting out on the water, away from the people, away in my own space where I can find my own place
the feelings I get just being on the water and catching anything else is a bonus.

Compare a fishing trip to most things these days.. trip to pub with mates -100 bucks, out for lunch dinner 50-100 bucks.

MY ALIBI
26-09-2011, 05:56 PM
26ft plate 225 supergharged verado donk ,250 ltrs premium fuel @ 150ltr. 3x 10kg bgs ice 30$, pillies, squid ect 60$ tacle ect ???

3-400$ for a w/end overnighter..... all is worth it... fish results reds at 5-15kg's , spanish sometimes , trout , lipper all up cheeper than to by from shop.......

Almako
26-09-2011, 06:14 PM
About $70 per head (for 3 people), full day offshore includes bait,ice,fuel,oil and plenty of food.
Can fish 4 up so price comes down, but mostly 3up.

Doesn't include ongoing boat maintenance, rego, insurance, tackle etc, or car fuel.
Tackle is pretty minimal with the type of fishing i do, mostly go through leader and may lose the odd sinker.
I wash all my chemically sharpened hooks in fresh water, sometimes spray them with Inox and generally re-use them.

PNG1M
26-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Hmmm... the following is based on 'wishful thinking' and the hope that I get to do this trip again some day!!
I did Suki Creek quite a few times when I was based in PNG 2004-2007 and it was always fantastic.

The only time I tried to arrange the trip from Brisbane (D.I.Y. style) a couple of years ago, the air-strip at Suki ended up being closed for maintenance (wouldn't read about it) so our trip was diverted to Lake Murray instead. The lake at that time was "too full" of water so we didn't catch many fish (one big barra only at 97cm and a few 8-10kg black bass) plus the distances we needed to travel each day by outboard over bumpy water wasn't comfortable.

Anyway....the cost of Suki Creek trip (ex BNE):

Target Species: PNG Black Bass & Barra (yes, both available at the one fishing location)

Based on a per person (2 pax) estimate for 1 week trip to SUKI Creek, Fly River, PNG (D.I.Y.)

Flight from Brisbane to Port Moresby (RTN) with Virgin airlines approx $500 pp
Transit o'night hotel accom in POM approx $150 for two nights (twin)
Food/drinks/bits & bobs etc bought from local supermarkets to bring to Suki with you: approx $150 pp
Flight from Port Moresby with Airlines PNG to Suki (RTN) approx $500 pp
Guest House accom at Suki $20 pp per/night x 7 nights = $140 (includes firewood and having your laundry done)
Boat hire (2 pax per boat) $60 per day pp x 7 days $420
Outboard Fuel approx $3.00 per litre x 20litres per day pp (max) = $60 x 7 = $420
Local guide hire & driver $10 pp per day
O'night accom in POM on rtn $75 (twin)

So, all in all - give and take with approximations and unforseeables, the one week trip from Brisbane to Suki (D.I.Y.) would cost in the vicinity of $2500 all up for the week.

By the way, its a very no frills 'Do It Yourself' arrangement as Suki Lodge has no bar (its BYO only), there is no a/c in the rooms; the toilet is a long-drop, showers are outdoors and you do your own cooking...but its a great place!!!

NB: For up to date information and price estimates it'd be best to do a Google search and try contacting either Star Mountains Fishing Club and/or Kiunga Guest House.
I last went to Suki in 2007 so the figures above might be a tad dodgy, although I did Google the flight prices.

BUT fishing trip wise (freshwater) - it is the MAX!!!

(NB. My avatar snap shows me with a 104cm Suki barra caught the very first cast one morning with a Tilsan Green Mackerel lure after having caught about 15 barra from the same location in less than an hour the afternoon before, with the same lure - must have been a a purple patch...)

hooknpull
27-09-2011, 06:32 PM
you guys wana hope your wives cant hack into your account and read this... :x lol

The-easyrider
27-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Let me see cost of fishing a 6.5 metre boat a 4b to tow it a shed to put it in fuel at 30L an hour, Maintenance, insurance, rego, fishing gear bait ice I think I am running at about $6000 a kilo for fish at the moment

tunaticer
27-09-2011, 09:29 PM
If I hit the Pine river I will spend about $10 in plastics, $2 in jigheads and leader, and about $5 for fuel in the boat and $2 for fuel in the car. Take my own hot coffee and chewing gum for the day.
If i yak Redcliffe it is about $10 in fuel for the ute and $5 in plastics and hooks.

NAGG
29-09-2011, 06:42 AM
I got taken out yesterday for a snapper fish down the gold coast (something different) :) The cost was 1/2 carton , a roast chook , a few munchies , block of pilchards ..... *& finished up with a couple of longnecks :P .......... awesome .
Aside from the actual cost ........ the time on the water with a mate , solving the worlds problems makes it all worth it......... Gotta love fishing!8-)

Chris

rossco
29-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Last week $2750 for a trip to Swains reef, not including fishing gear $300- $500 there this week at Glenlyon dam probs about $400.
cheers rossco

nathank
29-09-2011, 08:43 PM
upcoming trip.. 600 to rent a house.. 200 in fuel... have loaded up with 500 worth of tackle..
normally though i have a big tackle "stash" that i just add to every now and again.. i never buy bait if i cant catch the bait or use lures then the fish arent worth catching lol.. but sometimes i wont need to spend anything for 6months.
average trip is hard to calculate.. i fish mostly land based so i may be dragging in an old baitruner and use 2 or 3 hooks and a couple of sinkers and thats it.
othertimes i will be throwing 30$ poppers and $20 divers..
the moment i start worrying about the cost is the day i need to stop... isnt that what an addiction is all about :)

Captain Incredible
01-10-2011, 10:59 PM
I guess if you share the costs with 3 or 4 guys it would work out pretty cheap, i would rather pay to fish with you and bring home a good haul than go on a charter and probably only have a couple of small squire in the esky.

I am hearing you Tim on the antics of some disreputable charter boats. We would all be better off if these blokes were put out of business.

Probably better Tim if you call MARINE QLD on 3390 4657 & ask to speak to Jenny. At least that way you will be put on contact with genuine charter operators in your local area who will put you onto fish.

Please don't suggest Tim that "black market charters" are a better way to go, where you hook up with unregulated rec fishers who are "doing it for cash?" This is a very big NO NO.

Blokes who take charters on my boat are charged $230 a head.

P.S. I have a group of mates I go out with, the "Newport Neighbours F.C.". We put in $100 each for fuel & the boat costs. We then supply our own rods, reels, tackle, bait, lunch & drinks. And then act as mechanics to get the bloody things going before we leave harbour then spend hours cleaning the bloody thing (plus the fish) when we get home.

Mate, forget the cost if you own your own boat. You really don't want to know. Chartering is good if you find the right boat. Forget the cost & enjoy the journey. Otherwise none of us would have wives & kides either.......................

Cheers,
Keith

TimD
01-10-2011, 11:35 PM
I am hearing you Tim on the antics of some disreputable charter boats. We would all be better off if these blokes were put out of business.

Probably better Tim if you call MARINE QLD on 3390 4657 & ask to speak to Jenny. At least that way you will be put on contact with genuine charter operators in your local area who will put you onto fish.

Please don't suggest Tim that "black market charters" are a better way to go, where you hook up with unregulated rec fishers who are "doing it for cash?" This is a very big NO NO.

Blokes who take charters on my boat are charged $230 a head.

P.S. I have a group of mates I go out with, the "Newport Neighbours F.C.". We put in $100 each for fuel & the boat costs. We then supply our own rods, reels, tackle, bait, lunch & drinks. And then act as mechanics to get the bloody things going before we leave harbour then spend hours cleaning the bloody thing (plus the fish) when we get home.

Mate, forget the cost if you own your own boat. You really don't want to know. Chartering is good if you find the right boat. Forget the cost & enjoy the journey. Otherwise none of us would have wives & kides either.......................

Cheers,
Keith

Are you saying that if a fellow Ausfish member puts a post up in the "Going Fishing" section and expects some fuel money for the trip that he is classed as a "black market charter" ???

Why would i go on a charter for $230 or more when i can fish with mates offshore and just give them $50 for fuel.

tunaticer
02-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Many years ago, when I didn't have my own offshore boat, I would pay for the fuel for the wide trips as my contribution to the fishing trip on a mates boat. Back then though, the fuel was 40c / litre and the bag limits were when you think you had enough (usually about 10-15 nice fish per person). It was affordable to cover the costs of a trip back then out of your hip pocket, not taking into account the value of the fish you brought home. These days the value of the fish you bring home is taken into account by necessity due to the costs of everything involved in getting out for a few hours. The bag limits imposed make it nigh on impossible to bring home value for money comparable to the outlay for the trip, unless you target two dozen species at once.
I gave up fishing out wide about 15 years ago and to be perfectly honest, I do not miss it. I am getting much more satisfaction fishing the closer areas that people have forgotten about in thier need to get wider for bigger fish. Sometimes that thought pattern blinds you to the possibilities inshore.

When it boils down though, we all go fishing for the enjoyment and the prospects of a good day on the water, regardless of its outlay.

SgBFish
05-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Recreational fishing is the second biggest revenue source for this government...

Thats the stupidest thing i've read on this site.

wags on the water
05-10-2011, 02:50 PM
If I worried about the cost of a fishing trip, then I'd have to sell the boat and buy a playstation or sh!t like that.

Lucky_Phill
05-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Thats the stupidest thing i've read on this site.

Recreational Fishing ( AFB ) Attributal Financial Benefit is about $8 billion.

SgBFish... This amount is an attributal amount of money that is gernerated into the Australian community. mostly through taxes via the govt.

Remember................. Mines, Cattle, Crops etc are mostly owned by forgien countries and profits head offshore.

We are talking about the money that gets put back into the Aussie community to go round in circles etc. It is a " benefit " to the community, and not to individuals or overseas companies.

The money comes from:-

tackle sales, bait, fuel, rego, accom, boat purchases, cameras, insurances, sunnies, sunscreen, emergency equipment and myriad of other assorted goodies. It also takes into account the millions of dollars collected ( income tax ) by the govt from people that work within the recreational fishing sector. That is, boat builders, tackle manufacturers, retail staff, , charter operators and more.

I personally believe that the $8 bill is far too low and the reality is, it could be double that.

What it does not take into account, is the health and well-being benefits associated with a day on the water.

Just........... FYI.

Cheers Phill

PinHead
05-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Many years ago, when I didn't have my own offshore boat, I would pay for the fuel for the wide trips as my contribution to the fishing trip on a mates boat. Back then though, the fuel was 40c / litre and the bag limits were when you think you had enough (usually about 10-15 nice fish per person). It was affordable to cover the costs of a trip back then out of your hip pocket, not taking into account the value of the fish you brought home. These days the value of the fish you bring home is taken into account by necessity due to the costs of everything involved in getting out for a few hours. The bag limits imposed make it nigh on impossible to bring home value for money comparable to the outlay for the trip, unless you target two dozen species at once.
I gave up fishing out wide about 15 years ago and to be perfectly honest, I do not miss it. I am getting much more satisfaction fishing the closer areas that people have forgotten about in thier need to get wider for bigger fish. Sometimes that thought pattern blinds you to the possibilities inshore.

When it boils down though, we all go fishing for the enjoyment and the prospects of a good day on the water, regardless of its outlay.

If that was true Jack, I would have given up years ago. When we had the 30' boat, we would anchor somewhere..halfheartedly have a fish..usually got nothing..had a few drinks etc etc etc..that would cost me well in excess of $200 for fuel and food. That did not take into account the $200 per week just to have it tied up at the marina. I reckon the cost is irrelevant if you enjoy it. Same as any recreational activity..if oyu gain enjoyment..that is all that matters.

Tangles
07-10-2011, 11:33 PM
I reckon just ask a car enthusiast the question?

like anything, its as expensive, complicated or cheap and simple as you want to make it, mates will always work it out. Personally cant equate the need to bring home x fish to justify a pastime but everyones reasons or justifications to go fishing is theirs to own, i just like getting out there with mates,

FishHunter
08-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Nothing I have done has ever been cheap and I know I am spending less money than if I raced cars or shot competitively

NAGG
08-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Do fishoes still try to justify the cost of their fishing trips by the qty of fish that they bring home :-? (particularly inshore / offshore)...... I would have thought that rising fuel prices and the general high costs of boat ownership would have blown that notion years ago ......... but then again if that approach wins the missus over :P :D .......

Chris

nathank
11-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Do fishoes still try to justify the cost of their fishing trips by the qty of fish that they bring home :-? (particularly inshore / offshore)...... I would have thought that rising fuel prices and the general high costs of boat ownership would have blown that notion years ago ......... but then again if that approach wins the missus over :P :D .......

Chris

Surely not Nagg... we now have bassa and nile perch lol oh and vanemei prawns lol

fisho8
12-10-2011, 10:19 PM
I reckon just ask a car enthusiast the question?

like anything, its as expensive, complicated or cheap and simple as you want to make it, mates will always work it out. Personally cant equate the need to bring home x fish to justify a pastime but everyones reasons or justifications to go fishing is theirs to own, i just like getting out there with mates,

Ok then well here we go haha

Vehicle: 2005 Model HSV Clubsport
Cost to buy Stock: $39990 drive away
Cost to modify Engine with all components and lowered springs at Power Torqure Engines $14000
Outcome 450hp at you right foot.
Set of Mag wheels $2500.00
Fuel cost on the average car cruise using BP Ultimate $60
Trip to the drags $100.00 inc fuel and tyres
Services $350.00 every 5000ks

Fun Factor down the drag strip: ;D PB time 12.3@119.87MPH

Sold the car to help buy the boat I have now was sad to see it go but I love my fishing and having a day out on the water is definatly better than loitering in car parks talking about how big the engine was in my car or what money I was going to waste on it next plus the coppers would not leave me along when I moved out here. Great car but had lots of fun in it but I have more fun fishing and spend those summer days on the water with my mates and family. Pic as follows of my beast.

Boat is a bit of a different Story as I really do not care what it costs to get on the water because the memories I have had and the ones to come in the future will be priceless.:)

BillyT2382
02-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Hahaha i know what u mean tim my partner always going on about do i have enough i say "hell nooo" hehehe but thats us guys i guess..lol

outta line
03-01-2012, 07:26 PM
A while back i gave up on spending money on phone calls trying to get a crew and the boat always sitting around. Don't really think about the cost of a fishing trip anymore just hook the boat on and go when eva i get a chance. If i had to put an average $ figure on a trip it would be around the $200 mark. When you add all the fishing gear and tackle and on going expences a BOAT (bring- on- another- thousand) adds on top of that :o ::)...... maybe thats why i don't think about it and like most of us we do it because we love it........then theres a days pay when you go on a weekday....
cheers Mick