PDA

View Full Version : Mackerel mission off Bundy

craigie
19-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I'll keep this brief...............
Spent a couple of days with my Mackerel Legend mate Andy who is based in Bundy.
Weather forecast was ordinary for Saturday, we hit a local wreck 10 mile out, got pounded but still scored a nice 12 kg Spanish for our trouble.

Sunday turned out to be a cracker of a day, we ran 25 mile out to a hot Mackerel spot to the North East of Burnet heads.
The fish were on the Job, and we bagged on Spanish by late morning. Sizes ranged from 7 to 14 kg's. A;ll fish were caught on trolled dead baits using Andy's secret "Hairy McClarey: rig :-X

Thanks for an awesome time mate,

Regards,
Craigie

Vitamin Sea
19-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Good one Craig

Some quality fish there, mack on the BBQ, good stuff

What bait did you get them on?

Cheers

Bill

3rd degree
19-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Looks like a pretty successful mission Cragie!

Any hints on Andy's secret Hairy McClarey rig?

Cheers
Jim

indy
19-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Nice going craigie might have to try for one of those before the season is up well done

vertico
19-01-2010, 09:18 PM
nice work craigie you love your spaniards dont yah

bondy99
19-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Good to see Craig, nice fish, eating would be superb.

Peter

Deelirious
19-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Nice work old boy. You'll have to teach me how to catch those one day.
Ed

Spectre
20-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Some very nice Macs Craigie.

The "Mackerel Magnet" & his apprentice strike again ....;D :o

Keep up the good work mate .....

Cheers
Phil

craigie
21-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Bill,

The macks took a variety of baits. We started off with frozen Slimmies on 2 lines and Wolf herring on the other 2 (trolling 4 baits). The slimmies were getting all the hits (and fish). When they ran out we put gar on and got hit on them. towards the end of the session we persisted with the Woolfies and ended up catching the last 2 fish on them.
So basically the Macks were eating everything !!

Jim,

Andy has been tinkering around with his rigs for a few years now and is a little guarded about handing out his hard earned secrets.
Basically he puts a home made Wog Head (horse hair synthetic fibre) on the front of the rig and is weighted, with one or two, treble "Stingers" extending back into the bait on 140 lb single strand wire. Preffered hook is a 2/0 owner st66.
The finished product is a work of art !!

I'll check my pics again, there may be a glimpse of the rig sitting on the baitboard. May not be much detail though ?

Thanks to the rest of the guys for their comments ;)

Cheers
Craigie.

wak69
23-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Well done guys, good to see a few around.

sam..

Thefishwhisper
07-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Dear Craigie

Back on line again after a longer than expected renovation. Great reports and good feedback from the team. Went out to the 5 degree with Pat and Paco for a quick hit yesterday morning 7 hits three boated between 8 and 12 Kgs and my first hook up to a 15 to 20kg reef shark on a slimy.

Looking forward to the next trip out.

Jono_SS
07-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Dear Craigie

Back on line again after a longer than expected renovation. Great reports and good feedback from the team. Went out to the 5 degree with Pat and Paco for a quick hit yesterday morning 7 hits three boated between 8 and 12 Kgs and my first hook up to a 15 to 20kg reef shark on a slimy.

Looking forward to the next trip out.

I will get up there to have a fish with the "Andys of Bundaberg" one of these days!