PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS would you choose?

L-Plate
19-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Hello

We own a Haines Hunter 600R Breeze - a couple of years old now with a Navman Tracker 5507 which we HATE with a vengeance.... It has failed us on our first night out - losing the boat and the tracks... and on other times has not located the boat for lengthy periods of time. We also are unable to get within 50 metres of a gps mark - it will not drill down to anything less which makes finding previous points very difficult - we dive and fish and sometimes you might be looking for a wreck and have to sound a good distance to locate the wreck rather than use the GPS.

If you were offerred a gift of a gps, what would you choose?

Thanks in advance.

Jo

rubba
19-01-2010, 05:44 PM
try gamin not bad at all cheers dale

Blackened
19-01-2010, 08:08 PM
G'day

Garmin. They come pre loaded with maps, and the mapping is very good.

Dave

Damned67
19-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Stupid question, and I know nothing about your current GPS, but where/how is it located in the boat?
I bought a 4.2 tinny (which I love) and the boat builder installed my GPS and Sounder for me. I had issues very similar to yours initially due to the mounting of my unit. Mine has an internal aerial, and was mounted low in the boat, so it essentially couldn't 'see' the satellites. I remounted it to a better location, and it's been perfect ever since. I'm guessing with your boat, it's not the same issue, coupled with the fact that you're saying you're at least 50m off your marks.. but still?
Cheers!

(I've heard nothing but good things about Garmin and Furuno units from friends and family. My father-in-law used to own and run a marine electronics business, before i bought my boat, and he said the Garmin and Furuno units are the only ones worth looking at, be it sounders or GPS. Of course, I own Lowrance and Humminbird, the two he suggested to steer clear of AFTER I bought them!!)

L-Plate
20-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Drivers seat is on starboard side and unit is placed on the console provided for electronics. The antenna is also there. Navman seem to have no customer support - we use them at work and will be putting new garmins in all of them as the navman is so slow...

I have located the Garmin GPSMAP 555 - with the optional bluechart g2 vision SD card - does anyone have any feedback on this unit or know anywhere i can go to in brisbane to talk to someone/see them...

cheers
jo

FNQCairns
20-01-2010, 01:02 PM
GPSMAP is great once you ensure the latest firmware is loaded. i own the US version and i like it now, just lately i did come across erroneous position location by a couple of hundred m or so. I updated to the latest firmware as it was available again and this seem to have fixed my the problem (touch wood), the G2 vision charts are good, make sure whichever you choose they are fully up to date regarding zoning, it's makes life far more comfortable when fishing.

cheers fnq

ospery888
20-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi,l-plate mike here have you looked at the raymarine products i have being using them for years and have served me really well customer service was excellent ,also furuno gps are also good bit on exy on budget but quality is there