PDA

View Full Version : Fish cleaning station/table ideas

spelchek
18-01-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm looking to build a fish cleaning table/station outside and I'm looking for ideas/design that you guys may have. I was thinking kitchen sink mounted in a table type arrangement, but the drop between the raised edge around the flat bit of the sink (not the sink itself - whats the flat bit on the side called - y'know, where you stack the dishes?) really annoys me whilst cleaning fish.

So before I start cutting/hammering, I'd love to get some ideas of what you guys may have constructed.

Thanks!

Haji-Baba
18-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Get hold of a stainless steel laundry sink. (Garage sales, Dump shop.)

Build your table around that.

Fit up the outlet drain into the garden, have a short hose from a standtpipe to the sink, Cover the table with lino or similar and clean / fillet your fish on a corn sack over a big piece of plywood.

The bag stops the slippery buggers from sliding around.

Mine is under a shady tree and lit at night with a paraflood.

The hose idea is to clean buckets wash crabs etc.etc.

Don't make it too low.

Have fun Haji-Baba

nidrac
18-01-2010, 04:51 PM
mate i did one for tech while in year 12 a few years back.. made the frame out of metal doesn't matter how as long as its sturdy, put wheels on one end and put the same material cutting boards are made out of (can't remember the name off the top of my head) on the top made it so you could work from either side and a hollow in the middle, we had some stainless trays at home so made a gap in the middle for them to fit in (for the fillets) made it long enough so two people could work side by side without too much difficulty... overall its about 1.4m long and each side is 35cm wide with about the same in the middle of the two... we thought about the idea of a tap and sink but we normally do it outside under a tree right beside the hose so scraps go on the floor for the dogs...

Nidrac..

Member101
18-01-2010, 08:41 PM
any old sink will do as a wash station. An old laundry tub with the cabitnet underneath is what i use. Plumbing is connected via garden hose fittings.

But what about for filleting you ask? 100% the BEST filleting board that i have seen is and old ironing board. The top has the 'grippy mesh', so the slimy little buggers dont move around and its a good size for everything from bream to cobia.

Steve

sleepygreg
19-01-2010, 12:44 AM
whatever or however you build it....DO NOT include any of the composite timbers (pineboard, chip board etc). check the garage sales and try and get a 6' double bowl kitchen sink, with centre bowls...drainers at either end (the ridged flat thingies). Put snapfit hose fitting to the mixer (nozzle that comes out of the sink). Mount it on a metal stand of some sort. Thats the final cleaning table. For an intial cleaning table (knock the fillets off, scale etc...an old ironing board is perfect) Make sure they are all waist height whilst you are working. The minute you have to bend to work...your back is going to hate you.

Greg

Dicko
19-01-2010, 12:51 AM
But what about for filleting you ask? 100% the BEST filleting board that i have seen is and old ironing board. The top has the 'grippy mesh', so the slimy little buggers dont move around and its a good size for everything from bream to cobia.

Steve

yep, and every couple of years when it gets rusty throw it out and get a 'new' one from the salvo's shop for $5.00

I flash mine up with a hessian bag on top.

;D

Horse
19-01-2010, 06:33 AM
A good option for a filleting board is a small aluminium folding tressle with a large cutting board on top. I don't like too much fresh water around my fillets and will wash them in a chilled light brine rather than running water.

finga
19-01-2010, 06:52 AM
I have an old aluminium Ambo gerney at home I was going to make into a fish cleaning/fillet table but never got around to it. All it really needed was a top.
It would have been perfect for the Fraser mob as it's all alloy and folds down flat for transport.
But it's just something else to get rid of before we move. :(

whiteman
19-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Ironing board. Can't beat it. Use with a trigger hose that can be hung from the iron holder. Perfect and portable.

Greg P
19-01-2010, 08:19 PM
http://www.stainlesssteelaustralia.com/

Some nice kit here already done

Sevric
20-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Guess i am just lazy, i use an old steel ironing board to clean the fish on. I take it where ever i want; in and out of the shade and fold it up and roll it away when cleaned. It cleans easy and cost about $5 at vinnies, has lasted 10 years but i will be due for a new one soon.