PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Madness off Hutchies

goona
18-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Well we have finally done it. Our first Marlin well Glenns first anyway. First for the boat since I have owned it though. We went to the same grounds off Hutchies as last weekend and put out a mix of metal head skirts and pushers. It wasn’t long before the first strike and we had only travelled about 2 miles and it was game on. A marlin had taken Glenn’s jet head and started jumping all over the ocean. After about 20 mins we had it boat side but it thought different. Three other goes later and I finally had more strength than it did after grabbing it’s bill and with Glenn on the tail we lifted it in. Don’t know what it weighs really but I am guessing 70 to 80kg as it was pretty heavy or is it I am getting weaker in my old age? We grabbed a couple of photos and that with the video taken made up for some good memories After released to fight another day all the lures were put out again and within 15 mins second strike. The line was pouring of in quick succession with all other lines cleared for another fight. A few guesses were thrown around as to the identity of the fish as it didn’t really fight like a wahoo. Once boated, it was quickly dispatched and put into the kill tank. For those of you not in the know Wahoo is a great feed if eaten fresh and the whole camp had tucked in with plenty to go around. Conditions were near perfect for the day which did change last night but that’s another story. It also looks like a pretty good week and as we are camped on Morton for a week I am sure there will be another couple of trips out and hopefully 1 marlin out there has my name on it.

Goona

lippa
18-01-2010, 11:50 AM
congrats todd, hard work pays off. we had no hits on the lures, but put a good mixed bag together off the bottom

gr hilly
18-01-2010, 12:03 PM
brings back memories mate im getting to old now to fish for marlin,that is a nice catch well done ,and a good eater to go with it top stuff.
tight lines hilly

indy
18-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Good onya Glen and Todd, now todd for your turn, i am a little surprised you didn't push glen out the way when that one jumped on did you have a go on the bottom or just troll?

ps you might have to change your call sign to the ghost could you have put any more suncream on your face lol

cheers pete...

Angla
18-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Good stuff. A good read and can't wait to see the pics of the next weeks work.

Good Luck
Chris

The Animal
19-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi Goona
Great work on you first fish for the boat.
Unfortunatly more like 45kg.
Looks about 155 cm short length but a good fish none the less.
Stephen

Pointyfish
19-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Nice work Goona. Unfortunately I would have to agree with Stephen , 40 - 50kg black. Great fun though!
I take it Hutchies is some sort of bottom feature off Moreton Island ? ( sorry I'm from the west coast ).

Cheers Shaun

goona
21-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Guys thanks for your replies. 40 to 50 kg Glenn mustn't have been lifting anything as I almost had a hernia for the photo. To put things into perspective I (the one on the right) am 6 foot 3 and weight 105kg yes fattie. The boat is 2.5m wide with 200 to 250mm wide gunnels so take the 2 of these off and you get 2.1 or 2m roughly. From the photos (I am no expert and really wouldn't have clue where you measure from or to) it does look like it went close to both gunnels (fork of tail to bottom jaw) Is that how you measure them?. It certainly felt like it was a lot heavier than 40 to 50kg though. Once again I am no expert as this is our first one.

Pointy fish, Correct comes up to about 11m but we were in about 50m just off it.

Theanimal. Can you please elaborate on the short length so we know how to get the weight right for future captures. Will take a tape next time.

Angla, So far all we have got on the next session was 1 wahoo and a bite off 1/2 way up in the double after about a 200m run. Took a 200mm Pakula pusher.

Good to hear from you again lippa. Give us a call next time you are on the water.

Goona

finding_time
21-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Goona

i sent you a pm with this table but for everyone else who's interested click on the link for a length / weight table!

http://www.pvgfc.com/BILLFISH%20FORMULA1.pdf

Ian

wak69
22-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Well done, looks like a good week ahead

regards Sam..