PDA

View Full Version : Things you should know about calling VMR/CG

TheRealAndy
17-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Being on callout for work, I got to spend a good chunk of my duty day (Saturday) at VMR as a radio operator. I have done this before, but Saturday was a bit different. For a start, it was a really good day on the water, so lots of radio activity, but there was also the Surf to City Yacht race, which VMR Brisbane does all the schedules (checking where yachts are).

When we sit in that radio room, we are monitoring 8 VHF radios, and 2 27mhz radios, so 10 radios all at once. When there is activity on 10 radios and we get a call on one, its often hard to figure out what channel that person is calling on.

So, if you are calling in to log on, get a radio check, update ETR etc, please let us know what channel you are using. Ie, call as follows

Marine Rescue Sandgate, Marine Rescue Sandgate, this is Andy on Channel Six Seven.

It helps a lot.

Also, please log out if you have logged in. If you forget, then remeber when you get home, call the base you logged in at. Also, know you rego in phoenetic alphabet. We had a boat log in on the weekend, the rego was misheard and they failed to log out. We notified the water police and the rego was not correct. I only found the correct rego by trawling through previous logs for a boat with the same name. If you dont log out, people will come looking for you, and that costs us money. Money is short in volunteer organisations, so please, help us help you...

Cheers,

Andy

bigjimg
17-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah you blokes must be able to decipher jibberish sometimes.People should also learn to talk slowly and clearly when using the radio.Talking at 100mph is hard to understand and only makes the call longer than is neccasary due to repeating themselves.Jim

Getout
18-01-2010, 05:55 AM
That, and things like speaking across the microphone, NOT YELLING INTO THE HANDPIECE are the things that people learn in a radio operators course, but how many have ever done one?

revs57
18-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Great thread andy - always good to get a picture of what goes on from 'the inside'!

cheers

Rhys

maztez
18-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Have often thought about becoming a radio operator with VMR at Southport ....but then I have a change of mind when I hear the tripe those operators have to put up with here on the Goldie .
Sunday made me more determined not to after listening to the multitudes and having no idea as to the correct signing in and out ...

A big thanks to all you volunteer marine folks regardless where you are ...a great job done by all ...

Mundi-itis
19-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah mate great job done by all VMR, don't know how you put up with some of the crap!

PinHead
19-01-2010, 03:16 PM
that is one reason why I have never logged out Andy ( I know, have been howled down about it before)..but some poor bugger has to sit there and take my details..must be a lot better things they can do with their time.

MickInTheMud
19-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Pinhead mate,

Logging people is one of the better things we do.

It is one of our main duties.

We get whale watch boats, dive operators and research vessels logging on with us.

One weekend when you have a spare moment drop by your local VMR/CG and ask for a tour.

I think we are all very keen to show people what we do.

Cheers Mick.

PinHead
19-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Mick..as I have said before..don't get me wrong..I admire the work the volunteers do at VMR/GC..I just choose not to bother them if I can.

TheRealAndy
19-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Mick..as I have said before..don't get me wrong..I admire the work the volunteers do at VMR/GC..I just choose not to bother them if I can.

But it will be that one day when you dont come home and no one is out looking for you that you wished you had logged on.

top_deck69
20-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi All,

I have only been boating a short while and thought that it would be a good Idea to pay my $60 to the VMR for their associate membership.

The only question is how does the membership work for different areas of the bay. I currently fish from about south Moreton island to jumping pin/jacobs well area but has hoping to venture anywhere from pumicestone passage to the GC.

Do i need to be a member of each VMR? I don't mind making the donation as I believe they do a great job, but joining to many would become cost prohibitive.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks
Ben

TheRealAndy
20-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi All,

I have only been boating a short while and thought that it would be a good Idea to pay my $60 to the VMR for their associate membership.

The only question is how does the membership work for different areas of the bay. I currently fish from about south Moreton island to jumping pin/jacobs well area but has hoping to venture anywhere from pumicestone passage to the GC.

Do i need to be a member of each VMR? I don't mind making the donation as I believe they do a great job, but joining to many would become cost prohibitive.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks
Ben

If we tow you in, we bill your VMR for the fuel instead of bililng you. Most units will do this I think.

gr hilly
20-01-2010, 12:35 PM
hi guys i was unaware that you would get billed for being towed in when did this become air sea rescue policy back in the 80s this was not so
hilly

TheRealAndy
20-01-2010, 12:53 PM
hi guys i was unaware that you would get billed for being towed in when did this become air sea rescue policy back in the 80s this was not so
hilly

Unfortunatly some one has to pay for the fuel so we can go rescue the next person.

QF3 MROCP
20-01-2010, 10:05 PM
hilly

Hilly,

It depends on which marine rescue group comes to get you. They all have different arrangement.

Volunteer Coast Guard has an obligation to get anyone regardless of the expense. All they can then do is ask for a donation towards the running cost of the vessel. I have been on an assistance call when another rescue group wanted credit card details first before leaving base, so the skipper called CG for help.

Best to ask around at the different bases for their local arrangements. Send me a PM if you want more details.

There is no state or national "RACQ on the water" cover. As Andy has has said, it's all volunteer and at the end of the day the skipper is responsible for the safety and cost of his/her vessel and passengers.

If my car breaks down in the Brisbane CBD, I don't expect Campbell Newman will send a free tow truck to me!

The 30 year + history of volunteer rescue volunteers selling raffle tickets and sausage sizzle & car boot sales is what has paid for those non-contributors... and we keep doing it all in the name of community (marine) service.. and love every minute of it..

If you become a victim of a search and rescue which is activated by Water Police, then the community (tax payer) pays the bill via W/Police - VKU

QF3
www.vhfradiocourse.com (http://www.vhfradiocourse.com)

QF3 MROCP
20-01-2010, 10:15 PM

When we sit in that radio room, we are monitoring 8 VHF radios, and 2 27mhz radios, so 10 radios all at once. When there is activity on 10 radios and we get a call on one, its often hard to figure out what channel that person is calling on.

Money is short in volunteer organisations, so please, help us help you...

Cheers,

Andy

Andy - and don't forget the fax, telephone, MF/HF, internet weather reports and counter enquiries... plus trying to have pee break in between!!

How's it go - Money? What Money?

http://www.vhfradiocourse.com/Be_Prepared.html (http://www.vhfradiocourse.com/Be_Prepared.html)

Peter

TheRealAndy
21-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Andy - and don't forget the fax, telephone, MF/HF, internet weather reports and counter enquiries... plus trying to have pee break in between!!

How's it go - Money? What Money?

http://www.vhfradiocourse.com/Be_Prepared.html (http://www.vhfradiocourse.com/Be_Prepared.html)

Peter

I got a pay rise this year, double what I was getting last year :P

Marlin_Mike
21-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Me too guys, i do a sunday roster and we got offered double time for sunday.

2 x $0.00 = $0.00.:P :o

Someone has to pay for the fuel, otherwise we couldnt get the next person in trouble.

Mike

timddo
21-01-2010, 08:13 AM
That is correct about asking credit card details. I was on channel 21 the other day and to get towed back to based . The rescue mob said - you will be charged, there is a fee.

So is joining the coastguard better then VMR???

Marlin_Mike
21-01-2010, 08:16 AM
That is correct about asking credit card details. I was on channel 21 the other day and to get towed back to based . The rescue mob said - you will be charged, there is a fee.

We wouldnt do that on air or before we leave.. we go get em, and talk to them back at the ramp when all are safe and well.

QF3 MROCP
21-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Me too guys, i do a sunday roster and we got offered double time for sunday.

2 x $0.00 = $0.00.:P :o

Someone has to pay for the fuel, otherwise we couldnt get the next person in trouble.

Mike

and the next one, and the next one, and thirty years later, the next one..;D :hammer:

Jarrah Jack
21-01-2010, 09:52 PM
We wouldnt do that on air or before we leave.. we go get em, and talk to them back at the ramp when all are safe and well.

Do you get complaints about the fee? I couldn't imagine how anyone would wish to complain after being rescued.

QF3 MROCP
21-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Do you get complaints about the fee? I couldn't imagine how anyone would wish to complain after being rescued.

:laola: :laola:

No one complains about being rescued.. its the reality that boats need fuel and oh!.. that means money!

Short answer is Yes - we have even had a bloke run up to the toilet at the boat ramp after being towed in and not come out... When you have mobile phones on board valued more than the vessel you can see why it's hard to get raw fuel costs paid for..:gossip:

www.vhfradiocourse.com (http://www.vhfradiocourse.com)

Scalem
22-01-2010, 06:54 AM
I think you will be surprised at how many are too embarrassed to log in, they are shy of a microphone and don't know their phoenetic alphabet. After getting my new boat I had to stick a Ptouch Label on my dashboard to make it easy on the old brain to remember my rego. And I program a reminder in my phone to log in again when I said I would, too many times I would be having such a great time out there I had gone over the expected return time reported to VMR when I logged in. Congrats to Seaway tower for being on the ball calling me after the time once::). But Lesson learned!! . Here is the alpahbet for those who don't use it.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/alpha.jpg

Scalem

TheRealAndy
22-01-2010, 10:26 AM

We dont ask for credit card details till after the tow. We will come out and get you regardless. You dont need a credit card to get towed in.

Yes we do charge for fuel. If I asked you to go tow boats in everyday would you be happy to pay for you own fuel? Remember the fuel is only one part of the cost of running the boat, the rest you get for free.

And, if the last bloke did not pay for fuel, then we may not have enough to come get you...

We pay bowser price for fuel + 8cents per litre. No government subsidy.

ozscott
24-01-2010, 09:47 AM
The VMRs cannot charge/sue for their rescues, but you would have to be a dud not to pay up...personally I have been a member of VMR Beenleigh/Jacobs Well for many years and I once had to use the services of VMR Raby Bay and they just billed VMR Jacobs Well...there was a time when there was no reciprocal membership but they do have that now in the sense that you will be rescued at no charge as they explained it to me. Be aware that for VRM Jacobs Well, and probably other VMRs they only go to a certain distance off shore and then its a matter of water police or paying for it from VMR or private tow operator.

Cheers

oldboot
24-01-2010, 03:26 PM
You'd have to be a dope not to cough your $50 odd a year to be a member of one of the VMR/CG groups.

But then again there are people out there who cant be bothered maintaining their boats either......funny its often the cheap scates that need their sorry asses dragged home.

cheers

sporty1
24-01-2010, 07:45 PM
How do I go about paying my yearly registration ? do I drop in at the VMR station or debit my credit card?

ozscott
24-01-2010, 08:21 PM
From memory you can do it over the phone with a card. Cheers

Marlin_Mike
25-01-2010, 05:46 AM
How do I go about paying my yearly registration ? do I drop in at the VMR station or debit my credit card?

VMR Raby Bay take credit card, just ring when open 6am to 6pm saturday sunday or public holiday

Mike

QF3 MROCP
25-01-2010, 11:12 AM

sporty1

are you already a member of a VMR / Coast Guard and if not what area do you mainly operate in?

This will determine which group to be an associate member with.