PDA

View Full Version : GT, YFT and New Berley Machine

ON-THE-CHEW
17-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Took a few of my mates out yesterday, decided we where not keen on the hour drive up to bribie to head off to Hutchies so headed out east of south passage today. Got to raby bay boat ramp by 4.30 and was dropping our first lines down at 5.30.

As normal as I am a gluten for punishement I am on the popping rod, Lanks and his brother Chris is on plastics and Matty was put in charge of making the berley (big night the night before, big mistake).

Third cast and I got smashed by a GT but sadly no hookup, the plastic boys started to get dusted up on a regular occurance. Took a few lost fish until one was landed and a nice yellowfin tuna. Chris ended up getting 1 from 5 :) which we reminded him about all day. Lanks also got another one aboard after losing one. Then the moving carpark turned up and everything pretty much shut down.

Decided to go for a troll around surrounding shallow reefs, some how got a diving lure bit off through single strand wire, but not much to talk about. Saw one boat hook up on a black down near boat rock.

About 10.30 decided to head back to where we started and all but one of the boats where gone. Now all on plastics, including Matty who after spending most of the morning making berley or sleeping was finally on his feet :) . After a couple of drifts Lanks chucks down a 60g Lucanas jig and he picks up a few small fish then gets monstered. Straight away all rods where in and the chase was on, after about ten minutes, and some really good driving by the captain, ON-THE-CHEW CHARTERS has another GT to its scorecard. A nice black 20kg GT caught on the worlds smallest hooks, caught on Egrell S10H, certate 4000 30lb braid and 30lb leader.

A good day for all (except matty) YFT, GT, mack tunas and other by catch, but a good day had by all. Have put up a couple of photos but where taken on a phone so not to flash.

Andrew

PS Nice boat Dave, how did you guys end up going?

WestOzDesertFisher
17-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Mean looking fish that one. Sweet report mate.

Pistol_P
17-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Awesome looking GT Andrew.....the black ones look mean..>:(

Pete

bluefin59
17-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Thats one evil looking fish great work ,you certainly get regular quality ..matt

Goldfinch
17-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Nice one Andrew. I saw your mate leaning over the edge for quite a while. He looked in pretty bad shape. Had a chuckle!!!

First decent sized fish I've seen caught on the Lucanis jig. Great stuff. Was pretty busy out there.

Back to weekday fishing I reckon.

Cheers
dave

ooglie74
17-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Nice fish andrew, sounds like you had a great day.

Cheers Troy

indy
17-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Cracking fish there guy's would have went hard well done

TimD
17-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I think the Galeforce is due for a name change, FISH MAGNET would suit it to a tee ;)

cheers tim :)

Midnight
17-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Well done On the Chew!!

How did that big fella go back in the water? Off like a shot!?
Nice GT! Thats a bloody good effort on the tackle mentioned.
Good onya crew!

Cheers,
Myles

ON-THE-CHEW
18-01-2010, 05:54 AM
Midnight,
He swam off no worries, didn't take that long to get him in and I have a lip gaff that I chuck in when I am releasing them to swim them beside the boat until they are ready.

Andrew

Scalem
18-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Nice going, even despite all the other boat traffic good to see someone get a few fish. What was the bar and conditions like?

Scalem

cobiaman
18-01-2010, 05:55 PM
well done mate, nice gt

ON-THE-CHEW
18-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Scalem,
Bar was all good, we only ever go in or out of the amity channel and it was sweet, came back in when the outgoing was in full swing but it was still sweet.

Andrew