PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Fair Dinkum about the Murray Darling??

odes20
16-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey I am watching on at the political manouvering at present regarding the sad state of the Murray Darling Basin.

As this system has its most northern tributary starting right up near Warwick, namely the Condamine River, I think its going to be interesting to see who REALLY has the political will (balls) to tackle the needs of our most amazing national waterway. Notwithstanding drought, the state of the ecosystem of this system today is in great peril from many causes.
Who do you think will really giddy up on the issue? And what actually needs to be done as a national project to restore this ancient system ??

Born in the bush under the coolibahs
Now living next to the reef
John

finga
17-01-2010, 05:03 AM
IMO 1/2 the trouble of the system is it's size.
She covers 3 states and to get 3 states to talk to each other (hell, the buggers are flat out talking to the people in their own state let alone people in another state) is next to impossible.
That's after the states tells each of the local municipality councils to clean their act up in regards to the river system.
And that's after the states tell the Commonwealth it's their problem because it covers 3 states.
And then you'll get the Commonwealth fella's say it's a problem for the states to handle.
So in short it goes into the too hard basket.
Each state does a little bit but a co-ordinated effort needs to be mounted on the problems.
It's double standards again.
They'll (the 3 tiers of Government) worry about a hairy a$$ed numb bat (commonly known as a backbencher. A fictional form of rodent who's numbers are in the 10's of millions) but forget about the veins of our nation (the Murray-Darling).
To me it's like worrying about going to a manicurist to get your nails done when your getting all dizzy in the head because you need a quadruple bypass.