PDA

View Full Version : pumps

Wahoo
16-01-2010, 04:50 PM
going to install the deck wash and fresh water pumps, Can i lay (mount) them flat or do they need to be mounted upright???

cheers
Daz

megafish71
16-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Daz, I believe that they have to be mounted upright, will have to dig up the paperwork out of the file and check. I think it has something to do with the self priming of the pump.

Ron

Kleyny
16-01-2010, 05:18 PM
I was given a mini pump and needs to be fitted in the upright pos.

neil

Wahoo
16-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Damn...thanks Ron and Neil, just being lazy and tring to get out of it the easy way

Daz

sparky54
16-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi Wahoo
I just fitted a deck wash pump to my Seafarer Victory, I just cut a piece of 16mm ply, painted it and glued it to the side of the hull under the transom and screwed the pump to it. Feels really solid and hasn't looked like coming off.

Grand_Marlin
16-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Daz,

They can be laid flat if absolutely necessary, but it is preferable that they are upright.
Make sure when upright that the motor is above the pump, not pump above motor.
This stops water seeping into the pump motor over time.
Johnson have the pick of the pumps and come with a 3 yr warranty.

Cheers

Pete

Wahoo
17-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Hi Wahoo
I just fitted a deck wash pump to my Seafarer Victory, I just cut a piece of 16mm ply, painted it and glued it to the side of the hull under the transom and screwed the pump to it. Feels really solid and hasn't looked like coming off.

great Idea sparky, might look into this, thanks

Daz

Wahoo
17-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Daz,

They can be laid flat if absolutely necessary, but it is preferable that they are upright.
Make sure when upright that the motor is above the pump, not pump above motor.
This stops water seeping into the pump motor over time.
Johnson have the pick of the pumps and come with a 3 yr warranty.

Cheers

Pete

H Pete, yes the motors are on top as the round filter thingy are on the bottoms, i might look into what sparky has said, thanks

Daz

finding_time
17-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Pete

mate after going through more johnston pumps than i could count over the last few years i'm trying a Jabscoe ( spelling?) i figure it couldn't be any worse and it's also twice the flow rate of the johnston.

Ian

TheRealAndy
17-01-2010, 08:18 PM
I have a johnson pump and its still going. Only problem is the aluminium cap on the motor is corroding. Do the same as your fuel filters and cover them in tectyl 506 or similar anti corrosion protection.

Grand_Marlin
19-01-2010, 08:18 PM
H Pete, yes the motors are on top as the round filter thingy are on the bottoms, i might look into what sparky has said, thanks

Daz

Yes Daz, perfect way of doing it.

I usea 10mm Aerated (or foamed) pvc sheeting, available from any plastics supplier - like Modular Plastics at Springwood.
I then sand each surface and Epoxy it on.
Works well for any item like pumps. battery switches, lights, cable clamps, bus bars etc etc.

Grand_Marlin
19-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Pete

mate after going through more johnston pumps than i could count over the last few years i'm trying a Jabscoe ( spelling?) i figure it couldn't be any worse and it's also twice the flow rate of the johnston.

Ian

Thats only because it has to work so hard washin all the spew off the Kevlacat ;D

Buy a Sharkcat and your pump will last forever 8-)

Seriously, I dont know why you are having so many problems.

I only fit accessories that I know I can trust.

Jabsco is also a good brand, but look out if ever you need spare parts ... cheaper to buy 2 new pumps.
Also warranty is only 12 months.

Cheers

Pete