PDA

View Full Version : Fishing clubs

sloppychops
16-01-2010, 03:46 PM
G'day all just putting it out there, I am looking to join a fishing club in the Brisbane district, try and learn a few new skills and some new places to fish. wondering who is in what clubs and where is a good place to start, i know some clubs are more welcoming to new members than others???

onerabbit
16-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Fishing clubs are a great way to learn if you are new to the game or new to the area..........................
BUT BEWARE......fishing clubs are full of wankers......

Dont ever think that you can enter a new club & gain instant acceptance, & if you already can fish, be ready to be at the bottom of the list for many years.

God help you if you can show up the long standing members.....they will hate you for it..............

I was a member for many years, came as a deep sea newbie, finished up showing them all how to fish, what did they do?

KEEP CHANGING THE RULES.........................

Good luck.

Muzz

finding_time
16-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Muzz

Ya cant tar all clubs with the same brush!

Sloppychops

What sort of fishing are you interested in? If it's game fishing there are plenty of good clubs around or if it's more general fishing i would give Jeremy a pm he's involved with the Brisbane sports fishing club.

ian

sloppychops
16-01-2010, 08:19 PM
I do lots of fishin mate, sharks and threadfin in the brissie river to jumpinpin and somerset for bass and yellowbelly, havent been fishin flat out for that long, wouldnt mind learing a few tricks of the trade from some more experienced anglers. i have been out wide on a few charters but no real experience fishing for myself if you know what i mean..

yea i know what its like bein the new kid at school, thats why i thought i might drop a thread here first..

Jeremy
16-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks Ian, and yes if you are interested in a wide variety of fishing styles, give the Brisbane Sportfishing Club a go. We are short of people who do not own their own boat and want to get out there. If you are super keen on game fishing, then there are other clubs more suited to that.

Check out www.brisbanesportfishingclub.com.au (http://www.brisbanesportfishingclub.com.au) and www.ansaqld.com.au (http://www.ansaqld.com.au)

I think Muz's experience may have been true many years ago when the clubs had hundrerd of members and newbies had to work hard to gain acceptance, trust and respect. It is a different story now with many clubs working hard to try to attract new members and bending over backwards to make the experience positive for newbies.

PS. our next meeting is Wednesday next week and there is no charge to attend.

Jeremy

sleepygreg
16-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Sounds like a full on ANSA club would be the go. You could do worse than go with Jeremy's club. Gamefishing is a different story. It sound slike you are more into the general fishing side so ANSA offers you more options. Just keep in mind..that clubs associated with the two bodies - ANSA and GFAA - do fish to strict guidelines and rules in their competitions. Many people who join fishing clubs are reluctant to follow these rules, and get a little annoyed when their 'normal' ways of fishing are outside the rules (though not illegal as far as state regs are concerned). Attend a couple of meetings to get a feel for the club, and how the members recieve new members, each club has its own 'personality'. and its not a 'one size fits all' scenario. Some are family oriented and place more importance on social activities than competition, and its the reverse in others. Others are more inclined to get heavily involved in environmental and political activities, whilst others arent.

In any club...be it fishing, cars, photography, football, cricket.....any like interest clubs....there will always be groups of people who are slow to accept new members, and the worst way of being accepted is to charge in and try to show everyone up. Human nature is to be shy and wary. Introduce yourself, ask questions, listen attentively, and get involved in a humble way to start with. There are usually a few 'out there' people in every club, who will be glad to introduce you around...but the rest will be introverted til they get to know you. This is just the way it is.

Sorry for the long post, but i hope it gives you some realistic expectations of fishing clubs in general.

Cheers
Greg

jack_attack
03-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I've never been a member of any fishing club other than Nuggets. I can't see why I would either. Free to join, very friendly people, monthly comps and heaps of knowledge passed around. Have a look at the link.

http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/smf/index.php?board=57.0

http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=38

bam424
04-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Hi sloppychops I also have not been a member of any club and probably never will be as onerabbit puts it bluntly there is always problems in all sorts of clubs. Being involved with sport I know what I am talking about. There are people who will be your best mate today and stab you in the back tomorrow. Mate start your own club from scratch.;)

DR
04-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Southern Brisbane Sportfishing Club at Beenleigh, a small good club with freindly members http://www.ansaqld.com.au/member-clubs/southern-brisbane-sfc/

PinHead
05-02-2010, 05:24 AM
I was a member of a fishing club many years back..was fantastic.

Aunty Jack
05-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Been there done that nerver again.
Differant strokes for differant fokes.

cjamesn
13-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I`m in the same boat as Sloppychops.. like to get to know some A.C.T. fishing clubs. Anybody on this site point me in the right direction? Got a youngster like to come with me too,what about kids in clubs,are they welcome or concidered a pain?

sleepygreg
13-02-2010, 10:50 PM
CANBERRA FISHERMANS CLUB
PO Box 325
CIVIC SQUARE ACT 2608
President: Greg Davis 0427 932 504
Secretary: Chris Head
Website: www.canberrafishos.com (http://www.canberrafishos.com)

This is an ANSA club, and has a great bunch of people in it. Get in contact with them, you wont regret it.

Greg

ps..all ANSA clubs that I know of actively encourage juniors, and its part of the national drive for this year, to get more juniors involved in fishing.

Noelm
16-02-2010, 08:02 AM
kind of think along the same lines as one rabbit and others, been a member of a few clubs (not only fishing) and they are all pretty much the same, there is a few that will work endlessly for the club and its members for no thanks, then there is the others that sit back and just whinge about the president/treasurer and everybody else, but does bugger all about running themselves, then there is the hard core competition people, who will fish from start to finish just to win and show everyone how good they are, in between all this there is a handful of people who will greet you with a handshake, show you around and offer assistance as best they can, unfortunatly, these people usualy leave after a short time from frustration, I am sure there is a few clubs that may be the exception, but I have yet to find one, best of luck, join one nearby and give it a try for yourself.

Mrs Ronnie H
16-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Hi
I as a few others on here have been a member of not only a fishing club but others as well. Never again for me-- the fishing club a bunch of wankers and know it alls and the other local full of old biddies that should of stopped whinning and got out years ago.

I have heard though that the Sportfishing club is quite reputable and a good club to be a member of.

The best way to learn is to talk to people-- ask questions and I am sure if you asked on here there would be alot of ausfish members ready to help you out.

I can also recommend a great off shore fishing course that is informative and one of the best days i have spent on the water-- Thanks Bill C.

My advice join up but don't become involved in committes or the like and leave the politics and whinning to someone else.

Ronnie

Goldfinch
16-02-2010, 08:15 PM
I've never been involved in an "Official" fishing club but this Ausfish club seems to be pretty good. 50,000+ members who all love fishing from all over Australia. I have met some great people so far from just sending a PM and meeting up and going fishing. If you don't enjoy each others company you don't have to meet up again. Does this sound like a dating website?

All the people you need to meet are on this forum!!!

Cheers
Dave

Noelm
17-02-2010, 07:32 AM
I guess up to a point you are right goldie.