PDA

View Full Version : will it hurt the sounder to operate out of the water?

Kleyny
15-01-2010, 08:58 PM
I have just mounted a sounder to my bow mount leccy motor.

And I'm just wondering if i would hurt it if i was to leave it on when i was between spots.

I would say it wouldn't be more than 20min.

thanks

neil

mowerman
15-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Doesnt seem to bother my Lowrance.

I forget to turn it off on a regular basis.

The kids usually remind me after we get home.

Rod.

finding_time
15-01-2010, 10:40 PM
No it wont hurt. the old leaving the sounder on out of water will cook it senario is a urban myth!

Ian

FNQCairns
15-01-2010, 10:42 PM
In desperation lots of years ago I used my lowrance to find floor joists, didn't hurt it that time but I have been told out of water use will kill them just never seen it yet.

cheers fnq

bluefin59
16-01-2010, 07:35 AM
They say not to operate it out of water ,but last year after fishing in hervey bay we left straight after to head back to brisbane and on arrival at home 3.5 hours later i thought i had cooked the tranny so i turned it of . The next day i took it out in the bay and it has worked fine ever since but i certainly wouldnt leave it on like that on purpose ...matt

finga
16-01-2010, 07:44 AM
It is the heat build up that would be the problem.
On the lower power transducers with lower frequencies it would take a bit to kill one but the higher powered units with high frequencies would not take too long to heat up. Especially if the transducer is a teeny weeny one.
If the transducer is strapped to the motor there would be some heat dissipation into the motor itself.
But I could be wrong :)

Kleyny
16-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys.

I will endeavor to turn it off but me being me i will forget at least 50% of the time.

neil

finding_time
16-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Finga

mate the theroy is good but it doesn't work that way, i have a 1 kw transducer in a wet box and you get 2 and 3 kw transducers in wet boxes, now if heat was a issue surley you would heat the very small amount of water there is in a wet box with these high output transducers.

I've chatted to the guys at Trymax Marine about transducers overheating and in there opinion it's a non issue , they leave transducers running on equipment there repairing day and night with out issue. It a non-event!!

johndeere
16-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Had a raytheon sounder and left it on over a concrete driveway and the transducer stopped working. Maybe just coincidental!