PDA

View Full Version : plastics, different styles and their use ?

iqarus
15-01-2010, 02:20 PM
been on the soft plastic bandwagon for a few months now and have amassed a collection of gulp, powerbait, ecogear, atomic, slam, and squidgies as well as a bunch of jigheads.

whats the general rule of thumb as far as the different types go, i.e curl tail, paddle tail, flick baits.

what water conditions and species are each of these targeted at ?

i just got a packet of slam swim shad's as a prize and not really sure what to use them to target. (or jigheads to use with them either).

iv had success with gulp craw's in mango ripple on bass and yellowbelly, 2" new penny shrimp on bream and moses perch, and flathead on slam 3" curl tail grub in neon pink. but its few and far inbetween :-/

Mossy247
15-01-2010, 03:49 PM
hey iqarus, I find that when I am using the ones with a tail like the grubs and turtleback worms I seem to find they do not need as much of an aggressive twitch as I use with my jerkshads 5" and minnows in the 3". I am only using the gulps though i thinks its a matter of what I am comfortable using. I reccommend anything in pumkinseed does the job and the banana prawns are a good choice in 2". I fish mainly in the brisbane river mouth in depths from 1-16 mtrs of water. I find I have taken nearly every species on the 4" turtleback worms (Jewies/Bream/Squire/ Flathead) usually fish the 1/4 and 1/6 and as low as 1/8 depending on tide flow. I find that the ones which createthe most interest are the ones with tail action IMO anyways where I fish. The p-seed I find does well in the murky water of the brisbane river and about 40% of my plastics are in P-Seed colour. Don't forget about dropping your leader size if the bites aren't the best you'll be suprised in the amount of interest you get from dropping 12lb to an 8lb leader, got my PB flatty @ 66cm's on 8lb leader keep an eye on your leader and tight lines! hope this helps.