PDA

View Full Version : Selling My Boat.....WTF???? Stupid Offers

Marlin_Mike
14-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I have my boat for sale on ebay. Well I have had some wierd offers, a couple of insulting offers, and one down right laughable one.

Well actually, a couple werent so funny as set off some alrm bells that smelled of SCAM!!!!!!

Why would you be so keen to give someone cash for a boat you havent seen or tested or inspected..... several times offered cash and reminded how quick they could get here with it. I smell a rat. Maybe the person was genuine, i hope I am wrong but anyway i declined the offer.

I have been offered swaps of cars for the boat.......if i wanted a car i would have said so in the ad........you think????????????

Am i paranoid? overly suspicious and cyniacl? Thinking the worse too quickly?

Dont know, dont care, I am the seller i make the rules...........anyone ahd simialr offers selling one?

Mike

PS: waiting for the run of the mill: " im working on an offshore oil rig and cant egt here but can arrange transport and can you..........you know that one.
Or the ghost ad where someone hijacks my ad and advertises it unknown to me somewhere else...........isnt life grand....................makes you smile anyway at the gall some people have

Mike

finga
14-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Take the first cash offer (that's acceptable to you) matey.
If they're keen as mustard and got the cash then don't worry about it.
Don't let the Reef Prince out of your sight though unless payment is in your account and cleared

Marlin_Mike
14-01-2010, 06:41 PM
It aint going anywhere scotty till the moolah is in my bank. and it aint going anywhere for a cent under what i want..... i got opffered a swap for an 06 triptronic ford

Mike

Catweb
14-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm hearing you Mike, have had similar experiences with a few boats I have sold over recent years.

It is just plain wrong that you have to put up with so much crap and numerous lowlife scum, just for trying to sell a damn boat!!

Best of luck with it mate.

Wahoo
14-01-2010, 06:44 PM
when i had the other boat on sale i had one guy offer me 25K below asking price, i told him the boat was all his...............he had two hrs to show up with the money in 2 dollar coins...........hehehe

Daz

Marlin_Mike
14-01-2010, 06:46 PM
hahahaha nice one wahoo...the cash guy offered $7 and a half thou under my price.............

Mike

death_ship
14-01-2010, 06:55 PM
had all that as well, i just told them to call me when they were coming to have a look, no genuin buyer buys without looking first.

Charlie
14-01-2010, 07:01 PM
"Why would you be so keen to give someone cash for a boat you havent seen or tested or inspected..... several times offered cash and reminded how quick they could get here with it. I smell a rat. Maybe the person was genuine, i hope I am wrong but anyway i declined the offer."

A few of my friends do this regularly, never bid just ask what the person would settle for then turn up with the cash and in most cases buyer and seller are both happy. If you know the person user name you can always send him a "second chance" offer latter.

finga
14-01-2010, 07:08 PM
And the shoe can sit on the other foot too.
Sellers lie. It's a hard job buying a boat.
To get someone like Mike to deal with would be worth an extra $k or so in my books. Just for ease of transaction and honesty.
Death-ship's boat would have been a beauty to buy too. Absolutely immaculate and well sorted :D

Steeler
14-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Take the first cash offer (that's acceptable to you) matey.
If they're keen as mustard and got the cash then don't worry about it.
Don't let the Reef Prince out of your sight though unless payment is in your account and cleared

I'm with Finga on this one,you would not be the first person to have sold a boat without the buyer seeing it in the flesh first.If your boat has presented well in the listing and has all the features and benefits they are after and your feedback is good then perhaps you have earnt the benefit of the doubt.

Cheers

Steve

breakthelines
14-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Mate I had a motorcycle for sale, had it advertised on ebay for $7,500 ono.

I had 3 ppl offers me netween $4000-$4500.

People just think your wanting a quick sale.

Dumb S*%ts!

gr hilly
14-01-2010, 08:54 PM
i was looking for a bobcat for 6 mths up here in brissy they were 5 to 10 grand dearer got 1 off ebay the owner delevered it to me from newcastle, i had only seen pics but i told him i had cash, if he delevered the machine and if it was as good as he had stated he could go home empty but loaded, if it wasnt as good he could take it home with him he came up to brissy and i was a happy man i got a great deal he got all his cash and i gave him 500 extra for fuel so mate you never know.
hilly

notsa
14-01-2010, 10:13 PM
I sold my boat on ozfish to a bloke in Gladstone without seeing it. He drove down transfered the money to my account ,as soon as I seen it in my account we hitched the boat up and away he went.Wanted $28500 sold for $28000.All good.

DTHCoCo
14-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Mate I've worked in the motorcycle business for the previous 6 years and I'll tell you one thing straight out people always over value there posessions. Another thing with market at the moment it is very slow and expect to get less money. One thing to remember an old saying "one in the hand is better than 2 in the bush"

Damned67
14-01-2010, 10:37 PM
This is why I figure that when it's time for to upgrade from the 4.2 to a decent sized boat, I'll be keeping the 4.2 for a 'creek' boat.....
I hate selling stuff for that exact reason.
My last car, I sold to a family friend for $200 (about what the rego was worth).
My car before that, I traded to a family friend for a custom built radiator shroud for my hot rod. I'd rather help out friends and family than deal with the crap of selling them to strangers....

rowanda
14-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm in Newcastle and just sold my Haines 530F to a guy in Cairns boat unseen.
Had his father come look at it, but I still would want to see a boat myself before I paid for it!! I offered to get a motor inspection aswell and he said not to bother! Anyway, nothing wrong with it, but peace of mind is a big thing.

oldboot
14-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I recently sold an old falcon.......for a lot more than I expected on ebay... I had one looker and he wanted to buy for cash now........Um its an auction & I have bids???...... in the last day the bidding got spirited... none of the bidders came to look????

Of course... there is an old saying......no hide, no christmas box....... what risk is there in making a rediculous offer.....

Chances are some of these blokes will be making rediculous offers then reselling.

Some people also ask far too much, in the hope of getting it... and sometimes do.

I know a bloke that was asking $15G for his boat.... he had offers as low as $5G... it sold for $8G and he was happy with that

cheers

dodgyone
15-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Ive been know to make the odd silly offer over the phone. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Call up, establish its what you want then make an offer 25% or whatever below asking price with offer of cash upon inspection. Buyer knows if they have been truthful that it will be sold on the spot without more time wasting and seller doesnt drive all the way to have his time wasted on negotiations either. Works for me. Can always say no to the silly offers but like others have pointed out, if you have the cash, there are a fair few bargains about at the moment.

timddo
15-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Isn't paying cash or bank cheque the same. How are you suppose to pay for the boat. In banana's

The only term i use cash is under the counter sales. I have been to a few places and said. Cash, no receipts require and i usually get a discount.

Jarrah Jack
15-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Last year I brought two boats through ebay and sold one motor all sight unseen although, and this is the sensible bit, the cash did not change hands until both parties were happy. The two boats were interstate.

No need to get too concerned about the scam bits if you use some commonsense and are wary. Ebay can work extremely well putting goods across to a wide rang of people over long distances. Before ebay this just didn't happen.

Good luck

Spin
15-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I sold a boat on ebay (sight unseen)
To a bloke in Adelaide
He got his father inlaw to bring the money from Townsville on his way to SA and pick up the boat from me.
i thought this was a bit suss at first
untill he rolled up with the cash .
Makes you wonder sometimes .

BGG
15-01-2010, 11:15 AM
I sold a boat a couple of years ago on the web, not EBAY. An interstate buyer bought it on the strength of the pics I sent him and happily parted with 30 large to buy the boat. Once the money was in the bank, I delivered the boat to a transport depot for it to be shipped. I don't think I would be game to buy anything that way.

peterbo3
15-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Isn't paying cash or bank cheque the same. How are you suppose to pay for the boat. In banana's

The only term i use cash is under the counter sales. I have been to a few places and said. Cash, no receipts require and i usually get a discount.

Tim, there have been a few instances of Bank Cheques being forged using sophisticated software & high-end printers. I deposited a bank cheque into my Westpac account in 2008 & attempted to draw down some cash for another purchase. The teller told me it would take 5 days to clear or they could contact the issuing bank to verify the cheque.
Banks normally charge a fee to do this but we had a few accounts so it was waived.
The bank cheque is not as safe as it used to be.

Fishobloke
15-01-2010, 02:07 PM
I bought my boat off Ebay without checking it out, but i did ask for extra pics and called the bloke about it. If it wasnt as shown or stated i would have turned around and got back in the car.
Good buy too.
Cash, bank transfer or Paypal is the safest. But Paypal can be steep on charges if the price is high for the person pulling the money out and trans into their bank (the seller). And cash can be annoying for tyre kickers. Some people are just tight asses with no respect i think.
I had a car for sale and went through the same thing with the stupid offers and swaps. One guy even just wanted to buy the wheels of it, wtf? Thats handy isnt it.
Cheers

oldboot
15-01-2010, 02:15 PM
The think lots of people don't understand is that a bank cheque can be cancled.

A bloke I knew had several worthless cheques framed on the wall of his office...one of them was a bank cheque for several thousand dollars of sports car repairs......he deposited it and it bounced... the bastard and handed it over then promptly cancled it.

Cash is cash.. it either folds or jingles and it is issued by the mint.

cheers

Flex
15-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Alot of people buy expensive items unseen,

Often products off the web are far cheaper than anywhere else,
And even if you do need to do repairs(eg new powerhead on your outboard) you can come out ahead despite the issues due to the savings made on the sale price

TimiBoy
15-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Mine's out there again - restructuring as part of a plan to get Bubi 2.

Waiting for the d!ckheads to say "gee, 450 hours, that's a lot!"

So you want a new boat do you, go f$#%ing buy one! 100 hours a year this leaves you at least 15 years, isn't that enough?

World's full of dipsh!ts and idiots. Sadly.

Cheers,

Tim

rooboy98
15-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Tim, there have been a few instances of Bank Cheques being forged using sophisticated software & high-end printers. I deposited a bank cheque into my Westpac account in 2008 & attempted to draw down some cash for another purchase. The teller told me it would take 5 days to clear or they could contact the issuing bank to verify the cheque.
Banks normally charge a fee to do this but we had a few accounts so it was waived.
The bank cheque is not as safe as it used to be.

Yes, I fully agree. My old man once accepted a Bank Cheque for the sale of a portable sawmill (about 30 Grands worth from memory). Anyway, it ended up being a forged cheque and this bloke towed the mill off, never to be seen again, despite Dad's efforts.

Cheers,
Roo.

Geoff-
15-01-2010, 06:57 PM
yep sold an old johnson 90hp on ebay and quite a lot of requests for a buy it now price, people asking me to call them (despite an accurate description on the auction) and several people offering money if I cancelled the auction.

I let it run its course and it got plenty of bids and sold for $900 to a guy who came and picked it up next day, paid cash, really nice bloke. forget the tyre kickers i didn't respond to a single person who tried to skirt around ebay or wanted to ask dumb questions, i described the motor said it was sold AS IS - the system works some people are just FLAT OUT DODGY.

charleville
15-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Chances are some of these blokes will be making rediculous offers then reselling.

Ah yes - very possible. Reselling is at the heart of commerce.

Even in the classifieds on this site, I have noticed the odd item that is listed a few hours after a very similar item has been sold on eBay.

eg, there is one such item listed here on 11 Jan that had the same description as the item on eBay, right down to the "Used twice" in 12 months. Listed here for 50% more than the price paid via eBay a few hours earlier. ;D ;D ;D

...but that is commerce. ;D

We live in a market economy. Something is only worth what people are prepared to pay for it.

I recall selling my first jalopy to a used car dealer who said, "Son, it is not what it is worth that matters. It is what it costs to get it into sellable condition."

I watched that car grace his used car lot for several months, seeing it drop in price each month - until finally the car yard closed down. ;D

Since those days, I have never sold a car except to a wrecker when it was no longer worth anything to me. The biggest costs that we have to cope with through our lives are interest rates and depreciation. If you can make a purchase satisfy your needs until it wears out, you have won the depreciation battle.

neil_stessco
15-01-2010, 08:14 PM
when i had the other boat on sale i had one guy offer me 25K below asking price, i told him the boat was all his...............he had two hrs to show up with the money in 2 dollar coins...........hehehe

Daz

That was a bloke i know Daz, he was pissed as u left out the adress to drop off the $2 coins to.

bagdout
15-01-2010, 08:39 PM
definately scam mate. i had someone email me when i was selling something on ebay and he used the whole im offshore on an oil rig thing. scam!!!

Catweb
16-01-2010, 06:47 AM
I boat my current boat sight unseen (other than a pile of photos) off the net from a bloke in Sydney. Mind you it was under 12 months old, only 40 hours, all still under new warranty and very genuine reason for sale.

Established validity of his identity and ownership, dealt with his finance company direct to pay out his loan and drove to Sydney to pick it up.

12 months on and not a problem, but yes a tad risky.

Dean1
16-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Yes their are definately scams going around at the moment. I just had my rodeo advertised for $17500 on carsales and I recieved an email asking how much I wanted for the car so they can organize payment. I said I would take $17000 for it they replied saying they would give me $17500 and organise their agent to pick the car up as he was working on a boat overseas and the money was to be put into a paypal account, this is you would get shafted as the account would be a hoax obviously.

I recieved an email from carsales stating this was a generated email and it was blocked. I then recieved a similar one a few days later.

Luckily I sold it to a genuine guy a week later.

I think you get a gut feeling who is genuinly interested or not, and if they want it bad enough they pay close to asking price.

Deano

CHEE-FEE
21-01-2010, 07:41 AM
No Cash, No Splash; simple as that!! It's all well and good to try and get a bargain, but if these blokes are fair dinkum with these ridiculous offers, just tell them to boot off. You'll know who's straight up about buying your boat. As you're probably aware, the world is fully of tyre-kickers and penniless dreamers. I have found that, when a boat (or anything else for that matter) is going to sell, it is usually fairly quick and the buyer doesn't buggerise around much. When they start talking and waffling on about what they've done and who they know (they always have a mate who's got one or who's had one!) and just generally want to tell war stories, they are not going to buy your boat. When they make an offer and a price is eventually agreed upon, ask for a decent deposit straight up; if they baulk at that, just say "You've got no money, have you?" They will then fumble-fart for excuses like"I've gotta see the wife" or "I've gotta see the bank" or ""I got a couple more to look at", at which time you just smile and repeat your original statement; they'll ge gone in no time. Do not wear people standing in your yard and bagging your boat; if they start that caper tell them, "Are you going to buy it or bag it? It sounds like you really don't want it, so don't waste my time and get out of my yard!" I had a bloke do that once, then drop his number in my letterbox; I had to then give him another spray. If they sound like real cheapskates, say something like," Look mate, this boat is probably a bit out of your price range; that's fair enough" and quite often they will but and item off you just to prove they can afford it. Do not wait for them when they say they are coming. If they say that they'll be there at 9 o'clock (you make it abundantly clear that that's the meeting time), give then half an hour's grace, then go and do your own thing. If some one who's genuine is going to be late for whatever reason, the will ring you. There is nothing funnier than someone ringing you at the shops 2 hours after the meeting time saying they are in front of your house telling you you're not home; too bad so sad; You were late and couldn't be bothered ringing. Also, be very wary of getting involved bith Boatyard who want to put your boat on consignment. Without a decent cash deposit that they show you first, they do not get a water test (not negotiable). The boat will be a pain in the arse to sell, but, when it actually sells, it will be that quick and easy,you'll be amazed. Finally, as someone said earlier, take the first genuine agreeable cash offer that comes your way.

Cheers,
NICK.

PADDLES
21-01-2010, 10:21 AM
it goes with the territory i reckon, there's always the dreamers, the speculators and the genuine buyers. you've also got to remember that peoples motivations for selling are all different as well, for example the primary motivation of a most private sellers is to move the boat on and so will generally be more receptive to offers. a dealer's motivation is to make money, this means he can generally afford to sit on a price. all you have to do is say yes or no to their offer and move on, don't get insulted or angry, but like nick says, don't put up with any krap either, if they don't show up on time and haven't rung you out of courtesy then go to the beach or something. good luck with your sale anyway.

timddo
21-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Mike if you drop one zero off ur price . i'll take it. I can pay in $1 coins if you want.

You always wait to look for the right boat so you can also wait and look for a good buyer. Thats if money is not an issue. If ur desperate and the buyer knows this, He will screw you for every dollar. It's business.

Marlin_Mike
23-01-2010, 05:44 PM
904 hits on the pafe, 29 had it on watch, not a bid........go figure. not worried, i can go fishing tuesday now.....woohoo.....

might put it on boat point next week. might keep it too.....

Mike

Catweb
24-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Mike

I have sold 2 boats on Boatpoint. Really pleased with the outcomes. First one took 7 weeks, second one went in 3 weeks. Well worth the cost and very easy to use. Good luck if you decide to try it.

PADDLES
27-01-2010, 04:01 PM
I used both the trading post and also boatpoint to sell my last boat in september last year and like you say catweb, it was sold within 3 weeks. there were 2 serious lookers and the second looker bought it (first inspect thursday night, water test saturday morning, talk turkey sunday morning, tow it away tuesday morning). all negotiations were man on man and face to face, nothing over the phone other than him making sure i was home to come and talk, i couldn't have asked for a better/easier sale. my asking price was right though, as i was motivated to move it on and upgrade, not make money. there's heaps of boats out there that are way overpriced for what they are (in the 6m glass bracket there were anyway at the time).

for $30 and run it till it sells, the trading post is a bargain i reckon, but boatpoint at $180 or so is still very popular with lookers.

unfortunately for you mike, ebay is often percieved as desperate sellers keen to offload at any cost and therefore there's heaps of speculators keen to pay way less than the asking price. they don't care, they'll just figure "you can only say no"

ScottB
27-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Hi All

I sold my last boat and a couple of engines out of my current boat, all sight unseen. The boat was through Trailer Boat, to a guy in Melbourne (From the NSW Mid Norh Coast) after all the pain in the arse offers and guys telling me it was too expensive (Well go and buy somone elses then! Don't whinge to me about it.) I told him that the boat doesn't go anywhere until the money was in my account and cleared, after which I took it to get it put on the truck. It was a little stressful at the time, and I told him that I would much prefer that he came to look at it, but he refused and sent the money through.Then he started with stuff like he needed the rego papers so he could transfer it down there before the money had cleared..... NO CHANCE, the rego papers will be signed and in the boat when it gets there. ... It all worked out okay but I wasn't comfortable at the time.

The engines were on ebay, and were bought by a malaysian guy that was working in darwin. I Specified that they were pickup only but he wanted them sent to Malaysia. ( I was thinking SCAM for sure by this point). I wanted to get rid of them so told him to send the money and once I received it, I would bolt them onto pallets and tell him where they could be picked up from... he had to organise the shipping. Once again the money came through, the engines were picked up by a transport company and I never heard another word from him?

So two cases of the other side where things seem like scams but aren't. I just make it clear that nothing goes anywhere without me having money. Then again I think I have been lucky and don't know if I would push my luck again!

Scott

Steeler
27-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi Scott

Great result buddy.

You know the old saying mate.

Money talks
Bulls#$t walks.

Cheers

Steve

NEWBY
28-01-2010, 05:40 AM
I sold my boat on ozfish to a bloke in Gladstone without seeing it. He drove down transfered the money to my account ,as soon as I seen it in my account we hitched the boat up and away he went.Wanted $28500 sold for $28000.All good.
Thats because ALL us Gladstonites are great honest people mate;) .

finding_time
28-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Thats because ALL us Gladstonites are great honest people mate;) .

that must be very handy Newby;) I imagine that when it's time to do the days banking and your very busy , you could just walk out on the street and get the first local you see to take the days takings down to the bank for you!!!! 8-) It must be really really nice to live in a community of great honest poeple!;D ;D

odes20
29-01-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm with Finga on this one,you would not be the first person to have sold a boat without the buyer seeing it in the flesh first.If your boat has presented well in the listing and has all the features and benefits they are after and your feedback is good then perhaps you have earnt the benefit of the doubt.

Cheers

Steve

Theres also the fact that if your boat is a known model to the person and the donk as well , they could be quite confident in the product to just want it. Full Stop.
As far as people offering you a stab price way under, they are just mostly feelin you out to see if you are a desparate dan or just stupid, because sometimes people are desparate and sometimes people are stupid.

Theres even a verse in the Bible that says "The Buyer says its useless and then goes away and boasts how great a bargain he got!!" THE RAT ELEMENT IS JUST THE SMELL OF AN OPPORTUNISTIC TRYER.
(A bit like most of the pelagic thugs we hunt!)

I'll bet just about everybody in the world would like to buy a boat way under its market value.!
I have been buying and selling on Ebay for years and frankly have bought some things "buy it now" for rediculous low prices.
On Ebay you should also stick to the rules because they are for your safety as a seller and a buyer.
Also its hard to see or smell a rat in a cash buyer as you don;t have the responsibility to know his personal economy. If the offer is good and the cash is cold and hard then go for it.

He might be the Secret Millionaire!

Cheers
John

odes20
29-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Hi All

I sold my last boat and a couple of engines out of my current boat, all sight unseen. The boat was through Trailer Boat, to a guy in Melbourne (From the NSW Mid Norh Coast) after all the pain in the arse offers and guys telling me it was too expensive (Well go and buy somone elses then! Don't whinge to me about it.) I told him that the boat doesn't go anywhere until the money was in my account and cleared, after which I took it to get it put on the truck. It was a little stressful at the time, and I told him that I would much prefer that he came to look at it, but he refused and sent the money through.Then he started with stuff like he needed the rego papers so he could transfer it down there before the money had cleared..... NO CHANCE, the rego papers will be signed and in the boat when it gets there. ... It all worked out okay but I wasn't comfortable at the time.

The engines were on ebay, and were bought by a malaysian guy that was working in darwin. I Specified that they were pickup only but he wanted them sent to Malaysia. ( I was thinking SCAM for sure by this point). I wanted to get rid of them so told him to send the money and once I received it, I would bolt them onto pallets and tell him where they could be picked up from... he had to organise the shipping. Once again the money came through, the engines were picked up by a transport company and I never heard another word from him?

So two cases of the other side where things seem like scams but aren't. I just make it clear that nothing goes anywhere without me having money. Then again I think I have been lucky and don't know if I would push my luck again!

Scott

One thing to be careful of here also is don't recieve the payment in such a case by credit card especially from many parts of Aisia as it it has been paid for by a stolen credit card direct to you, the banks will reverse it when its discovered and take the money off you! Never take payment like this thru a Credit Card. Get a Direct deposit or Paypal or something else secure
John

PADDLES
29-01-2010, 09:42 AM
direct funds transfers are the safest i reckon (electronically straight into your bank account).

even bank cheques aren't sacred these days. i had a mate wave goodbye to a guy who bought his car with a fake bank cheque, he at least got to see it again each time the mailman delivered red light camera fines, a gateway bridge photo and numerous speed camera photos. he wasn't happy at all, and you can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to explain what happened to your insurance company in order to get them to pay up.

TimiBoy
29-01-2010, 10:06 AM
direct funds transfers are the safest i reckon (electronically straight into your bank account).

even bank cheques aren't sacred these days. i had a mate wave goodbye to a guy who bought his car with a fake bank cheque, he at least got to see it again each time the mailman delivered red light camera fines, a gateway bridge photo and numerous speed camera photos. he wasn't happy at all, and you can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to explain what happened to your insurance company in order to get them to pay up.

Advice taken recently:

"Not likely to be claimable. The offence committed is not theft, it is fraud (passing a fake cheque). You gave them the car, handed them the keys... You have to find them and take them to Court."

"Not a definitive statement, and the Insurance Co may treat it as a theft, but they also may not."

Big risk to take. Cash, transfer, or no deal.

Cheers,

Tim

PADDLES
29-01-2010, 10:55 AM
my mate was lucky, after a great deal of pain the insurance company looked after him. he learnt a hard lesson for all of us mates actually, if any of us are flogging anything off now, it doesn't leave the driveway until there's cleared funds in the account.

bennyboy
29-01-2010, 11:06 AM
We had Club Marine insurance in the other day and they were talking about the rise of boat re-birthing, aparetly there is about 10 cases currently being investigated in Queensland. You want to be very careful checking Vin and Hin numbers, look for possible filing or restamping. Check where the HIN should be stamped on the boat as it may have been removed and put in a unusual place. If you buy a stolen boat you don't have a leg to stand on.

Chris1984
03-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I make stupid offers on ebay all the time and boy do i get some bargains. This guy had a 4 metre clark advertised on ebay a few weeks ago that had been modified by riptide boats, full side decks, welded in rod holders, front and rear casting decks on a good trailer and he wanted 3 grand for it without the engine (2002 yamaha 25 cv) offered him 2 grand for the lot WITH MOTOR and he snapped it up. Picked it up same afternoon, put rego on trailer and boat, fised some wiring up and sold it for $4500 5 days later on ebay.

The-easyrider
03-04-2011, 09:49 PM
I am not wanting to upset or insult anybody but I have bought some great stuff at great prices by offering silly prices, once bought a block of land at about 1/2 price because that was my offer as that was what it was worth to me, good luck with the sale

FishHunter
04-04-2011, 05:55 AM
I hate arsehats who make stupid offers, if I wanted a lot less I would have advertised it for a lot less.
I once sold a car that was a very good deal but I had to raise the price by 3k just to give myself wriggle room to get what I wanted.

I also wont haggle over the phone show up cash in hand and we can talk if you cant or wont then pay the asked price, too many pricks that spend the day phoning people trying to screw desperate people.

terryc
04-04-2011, 07:29 AM
I sold a boat a few years back and accepted a bank cheque, however i insisted that i accompany the buyer to a branch of his bank near me and watched whilst he got the bank cheque, a friend of mine who sells a few cars suggested this was the safest way next to bank transfer

marty666
04-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I hate arsehats who make stupid offers, if I wanted a lot less I would have advertised it for a lot less.
I once sold a car that was a very good deal but I had to raise the price by 3k just to give myself wriggle room to get what I wanted.

I also wont haggle over the phone show up cash in hand and we can talk if you cant or wont then pay the asked price, too many pricks that spend the day phoning people trying to screw desperate people.

That is why there are silly offers cause people always over inflate the price to get what they wanted in the first place. My first 2 boats put in sill offers and bought my first boat for 50% of asking price and 2nd on at 20% over the net it is now easier to give a silly offer cause you dont have to look some one in the eyes.

If i am going to put in a silly off it is always cash and a price will be sorted before i even look at it cause i am not going to waste my time as well as some one elses.

PADDLES
04-04-2011, 08:37 AM
yep ........... don't ask ............... don't get

Jabba_
04-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Got my boat 10k below the asking price.. First offer was 12.5k below, which was rejected.. 2nd offer was 10k below and I would drop 3k into their bank account that day as the deposit, and Ill be at their boat yard at opening time Sat morning for a water test.. If all goes well I'll pay the ballance via a bank cheque and take the boat straight away... Offer accepted...

The next day, I drove to Newcastle, stayed there over night and drove back with my Seafarer...

Little Mac
04-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I recently sold my ute to a guy in North QLD, he called me and offered a cash offer without looking at it, I didn't really believe he would buy it but the day before he was due to pick it up he asked if I could meet him at the airport so he could drive it back up North. I said OK and met him, he paid cash without even inspecting the car and drove away. I think some people just have a bit to much faith in others (until they get the dirty done on them).

justlovefishing
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
A couple of years back I sold my motor bike to a bloke from toowoomba off ebay. had a few offers and this bloke rang asked a few questions settlet on price $500 under what I wanted., Got on a plane flew to rocky paid for the bike at the airport signed all the rego transfer etc and rode straight home. I was happy and he rang when he got home and was very pleased . Never saw the bike until he landed in rocky apart from photos.

RAGINGBULL
16-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Its a 2 way street
You have a number of types of sellers
The quick sale bloke who wants to get rid of his gear and wants the item gone quickly and prepared to look at any offers
The bloke who researches the value of his item and then expects to sell for that value
The bloke who knows the value and tries to oversell to make as much as he can

Buyers are
Chancers who are like dogs chasing cars when the car stops they dont know what to do with the tyre
Bargain hunters, prepared to wheel and deal " nothing wrong with that"
Buyer that wants a good deal for his buck and has researched his prospective buy
People that will not know the value of there purchase and get ripped off by the greedy seller simple

IN THE END YOUR ITEM SELLS FOR WHAT ITS WORTH THAT IS WHAT EVER THE DEAL IS AT THE TIME.

There are strong negotiators and weak negotiators, I am not a bargain hunter but I certainly find them all the time, from weaker sellers.

Cheers Mark

RAGINGBULL
16-04-2011, 07:08 AM
I will give you 2 recent examples
My son was comming of age and a car was needed, I would never buy him a new one, as I believe that when he can learn to look after an old one then he can buy his new one

I visit a lot of customers and would ask around for a 2nd hand car there were a few around but I had time on my hands and money if I needed.
One customer directed me to one of his employees that I knew that had an old Corolla, he said if Jeff owns this it will be in perfect condition when I spoke to Jeff he wanted it gone, his daughter had a new car now and did not know what it was worth.
Drove past and had a look " nice little car with Mags" mmm mags and tires must have cost $1500
took my son around and he did not want an old 1993 model "tough sh*t"
When he saw it he liked it, asked the price what do you thinks its worth, I act dumb like I don't know, but I know its worth 3.5K to 4K, I have done my research
Long story short
I got it for $700 without any bargaining and he cleaned it for me.
2 years later its still running Sweet and my son still loves it, he wants to sell it and buy a new car for quick sale 2k

I was looking for a small boat for my son for crabbing, some people on ebay etc were selling boats
All wanted too much called a few people but most were not negotiable.
Found 4 weeks ago a bloke advertising a tinny for $1200 spoke to him and got a good feeling went and had a look and I know the value should be about 2.5k roughly if the condition is right
Arrived and you bloody beauty perfect condition, chat for a while about the boat he's genuine, I offer him $1100 and I will draw the money now "deal done" son arrives and winks at me, he knows we found a bargain because we know what we are looking for, nice gent throws in a sounder
3.1m tinny perfect condition, 15hp evinrude perfect running, trailer no rust life jackets anchors
He never got ripped off and I picked up a bargain.
If you rush into some-thing without research you will get nailed..

NOTHING TO DO THIS MORNING ?? WHICH IS PRETTY ODD

Cheers
Mark