PDA

View Full Version : Tiagra VS Sealine Tournament?

longone
14-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Hey all, Im looking at starting to set myself up with some serious offshore trolling gear and have been looking at the Tiagras and Daiwa Sealine Tournaments. (50 or 80's) From the research Ive done it seems the Tiagras are out and out the best reel available for this sought of thing, is that Correct? Does anyone have a preferance for the Sealine or is it just a case of if you can get the Tiagras then go with them? Im a fair way off affording the offshore battle wagon but have some spare cash at the moment so will probably look at getting 6 set ups over the next year or so. What sizes should I go for? I was thinking 4 x 50's and 2 x 80's. Any help is appreciated. Cheers

philip_thomson
14-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi
I take it from the 50 and 80 lb line class you are wanting to go to the canyons chasing the big blue marlin?

I would only consider the Tiagra and id be going with the 80W.

finding_time
14-01-2010, 09:04 PM
why do you need 6 outfits? I would get 4 max and they would be tiagra 80w's

longone
15-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys, I think when I settle back into Aus I will probably live up around Cairns somewhere and chase Blacks and whatever. Ive been living O/S for about 5 years but have spent some time up North fishing when I, rarely, get the chance to come home and I love it. 4 setups is probably enough, I just want to build my arsenal now while I am still in this job and when I come for the normal life I wont have to worry about coming up with the $$. It sounds like Tiagras are the way forward so Ill go that way. Thanks again. PS: In the last year Ive done some great fishing in Costa Rica for Sailfish and Alaska for King Salmon and Halibut and thought some people may be interested in my experiences. Ill write a full report as soon as I get the chance. Cheers

jeffo
18-01-2010, 06:11 PM
If you can afford them Tiagras are the only way to go. If you are planning on fishing Cairns heavy tackle for big blacks you will find that 3 or 4 will be more than you need. You will find up there you will troll a swim bait from one rigger and a skip bait from the other. A back up rod isnt a bad idea in case you bust off and have to re rig or if a reel packs it in....but 2 is all you need to troll. In fact its the same for just about all marlin fishing but for some reason most people find it hard to have just 2 rods and a teaser out.

longone
18-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Jeffo, Thanks for the info mate. Quick question, are you mates with a sunny coast boy called Channon. I work OS superyachts and met him in Alaska this year? Anyway if its not you then disregard, Cheers

GPB
18-01-2010, 08:56 PM
It's him;D

longone
18-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Ok, nice one! I think Channon has been home for a while and been getting a few blacks...3 from 6 the other day apparently. He has mentioned that I should look Jeffo up next time Im home and Ive been thinking of joing in SCGFC for a while now too. Its been getting harder and harder to stay Overseas but I cant walk away until Ive got the cash for the big boat. Trouble is, it gets bigger and better every year!! ;-)

jeffo
19-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Yes mate, thats me. That 3 from 6 was out of my little 4.45m Haines. Its a small world eh!! Shoot me a pm if you want any more details on the club, fishing ect. What are you looking at buying when you come back home?

longone
19-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Great! Well, nice to (sort of) meet you Jeffo. Heard alot about you and used to follow your work when I was an Ausfish junkie back in the day. Ill PM you as soon as I can. Ive just got underway from Burma about an hour ago on passage to Singapore so got a bit on right now. Speak to you soon!

longone
19-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I constantly change my mind about what boat Ill get when I come home. Sometimes I think about going for a big Trailer boat but I really want a Flybridge Sportfish...something around 36 feet or so. I used to work on a 33 Obrien (In focus), a Pleysier 36 (Shakara) and 38 foot Dominator and they all werent too bad. I have looked at a Blackwatch 36 but I (and the missus) dont like the open interior. Blackwatch 40 is a nice boat though a little out of my budget at the moment.

bronziebasher
20-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Ever consider Penn International??

I thought they would be as popular as Tiagras.....just ask the yanks!!

finding_time
21-01-2010, 08:13 AM
longone

Mate i would look around the boat for sale over there at the moment and bring one home with me! You'll save heaps compared to the local market.

Ian