PDA

View Full Version : GC Arti Reef & Hornibrook Bridge

Chris Ryan
14-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Check these out guys.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/travel-news/seachange-floated-for-f111s-in-fake-reef-plan-20100114-m8n3.html#comments

I'm glad people are now thinking more on arti reefs and their benefots to the ecology and habitats for fish, but wanting to make diver only sites in my own opinion is wrong as all users should see a benefit.

There is also this one.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/australias-longest-bridge-spans-bay-20100114-m92q.html

I wish they would use the old bridge parts to make a habitat somewhere. Be a waste to shove them into landfill.

harry_h01
14-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Saw your comment on line Chris.

I had tried to add one also about the arti and the use of the F111. The chemicals we used to use in them would kill all the fish, and the divers for the next 50 years.

My concern is also the focus on diving not recreational activities like fishing.

Harry

bennyboy
14-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I think you would find that any dive only artificial reef would probably have a charge associated with using it on top of the normal charge that the dive opperators would charge. Similar to the HMAS Brisbane dive.

Fishermen seem more than willing to pay to use a stocked dam but somehow I don't think that would work in the ocean

Spot82
23-01-2010, 10:27 AM
The amount of chemicals in a sunken vessel or plane would be minimal providing the releveant steps were taken to clean the objects prior to sinking. You are talking a couple of litres of pollutants in 100 000's of litres of water which moves past such a site on each tide. The Artificial Reef in Hervey Bay has over 20 marine vessels and 500+ vehicle bodys as well as metal frames, tyres and now concrete structures! And it is a thriving marine habitat.

The negative is far out weighed by the positive with the creation of such reefs however the greenies continue to stop such projects.

Anthony

Mike Delisser
24-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Chris are you sure the old bridge will end up as land fill? I expect the road top will but I know of one timber recycling co that wanted all the wood. They got a fortune for some of the timber from the Brissy Riv wharves. I think the rails are water pipe as well so they may go to Simms for recycling.
Cheers

Chris Ryan
24-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi Mike,

Was being rather generalist in my comment in that an opportunity to create a large arti was passed up. I am unaware of any agreements for recycling the materials.

Chris

harry_h01
25-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Spot

Unfortunately to remove the sealants and chemicals from the F111s you would need to pull the aircraft apart rivet by rivet. The plane is a flying fuel tank and uses every spare space as fuel. There is sealant pumped into every seam to make sure they don't leak, but the sealant turns back into a liquid form after a couple of years and becomes super toxic.

I spent 2 years cleaning them out, and still suffering the afftects.

Harry

Si
11-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Dont think that divers dont impact reefs. Im a diver and i have seen some considerable damage by anchors and chains. I was under our dive boat at flinders with reputable dive company doin safety stop and watched the anchor chain rip apart plate corals in a four metre radius and that was just us on one day. I asked the company boss about putting in designated mooring line out there but he didnt seem overly that interested and brushed me.