PDA

View Full Version : Boat Advice

THE JACKEL
14-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Hey guy's, I'm thinking of buying a small boat to be able to drop a line in at the dams when we go camping8-) The only thing is what do I start to look at with so much on the market. I'm after somthing that's easy and practical i.e. either inflatable or proberly a small tinnie with a small outboard. Can any guy's advise any websites and put me in the right direction??? Also when it comes to a license have the rules changed? When I was a tad younger you were able to take a craft on the water without a licence if it was powered by a motor that was under 5hp is this still the practice or not??? Any advice is greatly accepted:thumbsup:

FNQCairns
14-01-2010, 08:34 AM
No licence or rego required if under 4hp but you had better double check me, almost certain 3.5hp is ok as I have one of those purchased to slip under the regs.

You will still have the tinny in 20 years time cannot say that for the inflatable...everything is give and take but IMO be sure to get a pointy one.

cheers fnq

MikeyS
14-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm loading up the 12 foot tinnie for next weeks camping trip right at the moment. I bought it about 8 years ago with trailer and 15hp outboard for $2000. Sure its more than 20 years old, but it's perfect for what we use it for, and that's camping near protected waterways, ie lakes, estuaries and rivers. Old two strokes go for ever if they're given a bit of TLC now and then. I have spent a few hundred bucks getting the trailer up to scratch, especially for longer trips but mate, it's the perfect waterside camping boat. Plenty of room to load up with camping gear.

If I were you I'd look in the Trading Post, in the trader section of this website or boatpoint.com.au. You should be able to pick something up for a couple of grand unless you want something new and flash (but why waste your money?). The motor is probably the most important thing because it will be the most expensive thing if things stuff up. If you go for a 12ft tinnie 15 hp is just right if you ever need to cover any distance, but for dams something smaller might be all you need.

Plenty of people have old tinnies lying around, so you shouldn't find it too hard to pick one up.

THE JACKEL
14-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Thank's for that guy's:thumbsup: sounds like a tinnie might be the go.