PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Competition/Tournament Software

mylestom
14-01-2010, 04:53 AM
What software for Competition/Tournament is avaliable out there. We have over 600 in our local competition and using a excel setup, but can tend to be a bit clunky.

Was wondering if there was a better setup out there. We have Catch and Release, Catch and Keep. Various divisions including Male/Female (Masters,Adults,Juniors,Sub-Junior), Families then individual species, plus limited Deep Sea just four divisions.

Any help would be appreciated, just finished our competition for this year, and looking forward to the next one in Jan2011.

Thank you

Trev

Ausfish
14-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Hi

If you could give me a absolute detailed description of what you want/need I might be able to do something for you.

Would also help to see a copy of what you are currently using.

Send it info PM might be best.

finga
14-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Is there much call for this type of software??
What would you expect to pay for software to fill these boots??

Might be something for the cook to have a gander at seeing she's a software developer.
There are lots of others here that could do that sort of developing too.
Group project?? :D

Chris Ryan
14-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Group project,.....like that XXXX Gold boat? :)

mylestom
14-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Thought that their might be something out their that is currently utilsed by some of the comps, realise that most will be tailor made and therefore not suitable.

But was wondering what else was out there.

Being all volunteers and trying to facilitate so many entrants and individual divisions, takes time, the current setup works, and could probably be just streamlined but not sure whether we have access to it next year, through possible change of volunteers.

Steve,
PM sent.

Regards

Trev

sleepygreg
15-01-2010, 12:01 AM
We just use a simple excel spreadsheet, with filters. But we are not dealing with the numbers you are, and most times it can be done manually if the system crashes. There are systems available, have a talk to ANSA....some of the clubs run very complex pointscoring systems, and have as many active divisions and categories as you do (possibly more), especially in some of the NSW clubs. Most of their systems are developed by friendly volounteers, though i believe there was a commercial system available at one time (developed also by a club member).

Cheers
Greg

mylestom
15-01-2010, 05:09 AM
We just use a simple excel spreadsheet, with filters. But we are not dealing with the numbers you are, and most times it can be done manually if the system crashes. There are systems available, have a talk to ANSA....some of the clubs run very complex pointscoring systems, and have as many active divisions and categories as you do (possibly more), especially in some of the NSW clubs. Most of their systems are developed by friendly volounteers, though i believe there was a commercial system available at one time (developed also by a club member).

Cheers
Greg

Greg,

Thanks, we also do manual score with another volunteer for the backup. But time constraints from close of weighing to presentation is where the computer setup should be quicker. Do you have contact for ANSA. Fisheries NSW tried an access program for us but didn't come up above 90% during some trial.

We are all volunteers and as the Comp grows the demands get a lot bigger.

Really need I suppose to go to two weigh in stations etc but would need another 8 volunteers as two weigh in most days, then people to control line, weighmaster, Manual input, Data Operator by two shifts. Weigh in last two to three hours.

Cheers
Trev

sparkyice
15-01-2010, 06:02 AM
EXCEL can do just about anything you could dream it to do.
lots of "custom" speadsheet software is EXCEL based. you need to find a geek who knows the ins and outs of EXCEL and they could make somehting really nice for you.
i can muddle through making a simple spread sheet, but i've seen what can really be done with it. you don't need to buy new software, just find someone who knows how to work what you have.

Bear001
18-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I would agree that excel is pretty great for that type of application.
You would go far to better it, at least most people are competent in the basics of excel, as opposed to a customised software.

Sorry I cant help, just my thoughts.
Cindy

fishingski
20-04-2011, 06:31 AM
we use software from www.fishingcompetitionsoftware.co.za (http://www.fishingcompetitionsoftware.co.za)

It is designed to make competitions easy, it handles all of the catch and release, photos, checks who has paid, and generates results any which way you like, including by species. You can do points competitions or weight competitions and all results are in excel. If you run a series of competitions you can do a ranking over a number of competitions.

The time and lost revenue from non-payment it has saved us has more than paid for it.