PDA

View Full Version : whats the name of this old caribbean

scotty66
14-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Hi there this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone knows the model or name of this boat I just purchased. Its 5.7 m long about 2.3m wide and made by Bertram/caribbean, I cant find any info about it anyware. I am putting a pod on her as the old donk was stuffed ( 140hp merc inboard). does anyone know what type of pod would be best for this type of boat,
I also have an Evinrude ficht 150hp 2000 mod lined up for 5.5k it has had the factory recall and a new ecu and 800hours on her. It is also in immaculate condition. are there any other probs with this motor, would it be powerful enough to run the boat efficiently, and what is the ficht system. If anyone has any info it would be much apprciated.
cheers.

scotty

Chimo
14-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Hi Scotty66

Not sure where in Vic you are, going by rego nos, but you should PM BM as he is in Melb and has a good handle on the Berti Caribbeans.

He should be able to point you in the right direction and probably has contacts for suitable pods in our area.

Cheers
Chimo

aussiefool
14-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Mate you after the name of the old Caribbean? Easy as her name is "QUICKEE". It's written on the side.

ozscott
14-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Nice looking boat...you havent gone and purchased the FICHT yet have you...?

Noelm
14-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Ficht was a system of fuel injection that OMC used, the V6 Fichts do not have a great name and I would reckon that the price of over 5 grand for a 10 year old one is very much top dollar, I reckon unless it comes with a good warranty (covered by someone who knows them) and if it has never been rebuilt (meaning it was probably OK from new) then about half the asking price is what it is worth. I am not one of the Ficht haters, there is a lot of people who have had a good run from them, but a lot more that have not.

cormorant
14-01-2010, 12:27 PM
With the ficht get a BRP dealer top look up the history to prove who it was sold to, when, if it had a replaced or updated powerhead and so on. Dealer if he has access to the motor can also connect computer to the motor and see real hours and full rev profile and any faults on the motor. You must use the correct ficht oils in that Do not take the risk and buy that motor unless you have had a BRP dealer do all of that . You will need to have that motor serviced by a BRP qualified person not any backyard idiot or someone not qualified on them. The motors had lots of failures with most caused by lack of knowledge by dealers and owners using wrong oils etc. One with a clean bill of health and full history may on a very good day bring that sort of money but when attached to the boat will add next to no value. You could get many hours trouble free depending on how you use it but since it is your first boat I would go for something newer so you have less chance of issues.

As for the boat - I would look for another boat with the same hull that has had it done and see what the result is as there has been some crappy pod jobs out there. Find a good one that sits, performs and rides well and copy it otherwise too much of a guessing game. Check the structural side of your decks , hull and transom first so you know what you are getting yourself into. There is often quite a few good leg units and motors around, exchange or reconditioned if you wanted to leave it how it is. Easy parts and repainr on the inboard motors but I won't comment on the legs - but on a trailer they have a better record. That hull needs weight in the back.

The HP of inboards and outboads don't really line up and I would be going for more HP with a outboard if you want that hull to perform.

Vitamin Sea
14-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi there this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone knows the model or name of this boat I just purchased. Its 5.7 m long about 2.3m wide and made by Bertram/caribbean, I cant find any info about it anyware. I am putting a pod on her as the old donk was stuffed ( 140hp merc inboard). does anyone know what type of pod would be best for this type of boat,
I also have an Evinrude ficht 150hp 2000 mod lined up for 5.5k it has had the factory recall and a new ecu and 800hours on her. It is also in immaculate condition. are there any other probs with this motor, would it be powerful enough to run the boat efficiently, and what is the ficht system. If anyone has any info it would be much apprciated.
cheers.

scotty

Sorry don't know the model name, but it looks virtually identicle to a 18' Bertie that lives across the road from my mother, only difference is that I think the Bertie has reverse chines, same windscreen, same stem, etc.

it to had a IB/OB which he has replaced with a 150 Johnno ( Ocean Pro I think ), he told me that it is good for 45+ MPH, so yes, the fict will certainley do the job.

Hope it helps

Cheers

VS

finga
14-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Didn't they just use length as model???..ie 5.7m overall is a Caribbean 18 and it's an open.
Brilliant hull. We have the 5m bottom bit with a cuddy top.

blacksunday
14-01-2010, 08:01 PM
mate i belive the name of your boat is quickee only gueseing because thats whats written on the side lol sorry mate couldnt help myslef :P

gr hilly
14-01-2010, 09:10 PM
hard to say what years the hull scotty if its old enough it could be an albatross but i am not sure mate im getting to old and the brain is dying
all the best hilly

ozscott
14-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Mate - if the boat came with a Ficht not rebuilt, good service history an 800 hours and the boat was a beauty and you couldnt go past it with the motor for the price fine...but actually paying top dollar to put a FICHT on is not my idea of a good idea...I wouldnt be doing it and for 5500 you can get a good motor that isnt a FICHT.

Cheers

dodgyone
14-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I just bought a Ficht for my Haines. Full service history. 350 hrs in perfect conditon. Its an 03 model. Paid 2 for it and that included Hydraulic Steering. Motor seems great though.

deckie
14-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm none the wiser either...she's a looker tho. Great lines and will scrub up SENSATIONAL.
Lots of action on that transom over the yrs...lots of holes in that bum and i imagine u well and truly got that checked out.

Now thats a real mans windscreen...none of that mamby pamby curved girly crap u see these days ;D

Congrats matey...looks a cracker hull to work with.

deckie
14-01-2010, 10:14 PM
btw...check out those stickers down back...in great condition for her age. Sure they can be replaced (tho with enormous difficulty for this rig i bet) but i'm guessing they're original and could be a sign your new rig may have lived a nice sheltered life.

I'm sure if u sent good piccies to Caribbean they'd help u out with a reasonably accurate I.D. and age.

70's muscle ;D

scotty66
14-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the response this is a great site, its interesting that most people agree that $5500 is allot to pay for a 2000 mod 150 evinrude. can anyone tell me were to get a good used motor around melbourne or preferably rye

scotty66
14-01-2010, 10:26 PM
not yet mate

Damned67
14-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Scotty, all I can suggest re: the motor, is don't jump on anything straight away. Do your research.
I've had similar experiences. I was living in the states and looking for a car to play with (V8 muscle, of course), and a member of a very helpful forum not unlike this one. I'd approach the forum with a car I was interested in, at say $5000. Most would turn and say 'thats a $3K car, tops', so I'd pass on it. And if I could have found one of these magical $3k cars, I would have bought two!
I did a lot of research, and knew when I found THE car, that the price was more than acceptable. At least to me.
Similar story here when trying to buy my first boat, the first couple of options I was told were way overpriced, but I'll be damned if I could find anything similar in the price ranges that people were suggesting here.
I'm certainly not knocking anyone here, to the contrary, I've learnt so much here it's not funny, and a member of this site put me onto a boat builder that ended up supplying my boat, to my specs, for not much more than I would have paid used!
Long story short, spend some time doing some research, scan the classifieds, check ebay, talk to the local used boat dealers. You'll soon get an idea of what the appropriate prices are.
I certainly can't help you in regards to your engine purchase, I know nothing, but in the end it's YOU that has to be happy with your purchase.
Research, research, research.... Then you'll know.
And good luck!
Cheers!

PS: Congrats on the boat, she looks a beaut!

cormorant
14-01-2010, 11:56 PM
I just bought a Ficht for my Haines. Full service history. 350 hrs in perfect conditon. Its an 03 model. Paid 2 for it and that included Hydraulic Steering. Motor seems great though.

$2000 for a 150hp 03 model 350hrs. Ram cowl one or late 03 even better. I'll have a dozen please, where do I collect them from. The 03 had the later injector support and rarely any issues as they were the first of the batches from BRP. They have a bad rep from early model failures but at that money and that model being a great one you have yourself a bargain. Very little difference between that model and current ones . Only use xd100 in her and correct indexed plugs with correct WOT rev range and it will last a long time. Do a annual compression check.. You Can't get v4 for that money. What is the secret - who do you have to sleep with and how ugly are they?

That's a heavy old hull that can cope with more HP and perform with it . I would feel 46km/h very slow with the ride that hull should provide. For simlicity I still say save yourself the hassle and uprate the inboard. Plenty of fully dressed motors avaliable that just slot straight in.

ozscott
15-01-2010, 06:04 AM
You might have to wait for a good used motor to come up mate.

Cheers

dodgyone
15-01-2010, 07:04 AM
$2000 for a 150hp 03 model 350hrs. Ram cowl one or late 03 even better. I'll have a dozen please, where do I collect them from. The 03 had the later injector support and rarely any issues as they were the first of the batches from BRP. They have a bad rep from early model failures but at that money and that model being a great one you have yourself a bargain. Very little difference between that model and current ones . Only use xd100 in her and correct indexed plugs with correct WOT rev range and it will last a long time. Do a annual compression check.. You Can't get v4 for that money. What is the secret - who do you have to sleep with and how ugly are they?

Might ask a few more questions if you know a bit about them. It is the BRP model. I was told about the indexed plugs but not the xd100. Had the xd50 recommended to me and that what Im running. Do you need to remap the computer like the Etec's to run the xd100?
Its on a 17r and Im getting 79kmh at 5200. Still playing with the height as having a few trim issues but what should I be pulling rev wise? 5500?

Jon

Ally Jack
15-01-2010, 07:18 AM
I wouldn't run XD100 in any FICHT motor, the XD100 is designed for higher petrol to oil ratios and the ETEC can be switched to handle this. The oil costs more but you use less so it works out cheaper.
The FICHT injection cannot be switched to take advantage of the ratio so if you run XD100 in the FICHT you'll pay more for oil and use the same amount anyway

XD50 is the correct oil for FICHT injection motors

cormorant
15-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Don't want to hijack thread too far of course but

My thoughts are Yes xd 50 is fine but xd100 is a better oil and runs cleaner, less ash,less carbon, less smell ( well different smell), better lubrication - you will not replace plugs as often or have to do any decarb procedures. You have no settings to change. XD50 is a semisynthetic and xd100 is a full synthetic. XD50 had teh carbon guard in it but XD100 has a whole package of detergents etc in it. Yes it is more expensive but you look around and $50 a gallon should be found if you refil from a 44 gal drum at dealers or but a case or 2. Run them hard at high revs and they will use more oil like any 2 stroke- more fuel more oil.

WOT RPM depends on exact model - off the top of my head 5200 is on the low side a couple of hunded but I don't like to see them overpropped at all.We had ours at 5500 but running twins that allowed us to get on the plane on one motor if we had any issues. Rev limiter was 6150.

Use a dealer who knows what he is doing.

If you find a 175 being wrecked the injectors and computer bolt straight on for a extra 25 plus hp out of the same strong block.

I have 50 spare plugs here if anyone is interested ( you know the cost of em) , most unused and others that were not in index range so in ot and not ever been tightened on compression washer or run. PM if interested with a offer per plug as I don't have a motor to put em in unless someone offers me a deal like above. We had 4 V6 in the family at one point so I also have v6 boxes both brand new and used and I think a CR one and a handful of stainless props ( Mostly pairs ) .

Jarrah Jack
15-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Do the ring around the dealers Leisure sport at safety beach and Wes Frost in mornington would be a start, you may get lucky. They are not easy to come by. I got mine from tassie through the on line trading post. Just keep trying. Just be sure, as others have said, that the pod is the way to go in the first place.

Eric03
15-01-2010, 04:32 PM
So whats the general consensus with the bertram-caribbean hull? I myself just picked up a 5m 1970's model aswell (complete with a 70's chrysler 130). She needs a bit (ok a lot) of work but for $1000 i couldnt say no.

Provided a confident skipper, would a boat like this be comfortable / capable if the weather turned to poo out in Moreton bay?

Sorry Scotty, i hope im not hijacking your thread.

finga
15-01-2010, 04:37 PM
So whats the general consensus with the bertram-caribbean hull? I myself just picked up a 5m 1970's model aswell (complete with a 70's chrysler 130). She needs a bit (ok a lot) of work but for $1000 i couldnt say no.

Provided a confident skipper, would a boat like this be comfortable / capable if the weather turned to poo out in Moreton bay?

You will find Savage boats used the same Bertram bottom bit (hull) as did Cooper-craft boats to name a couple that I know about.
They came in lots of configurations over the years.
Here's a Cooper-craft version

MyWay
16-01-2010, 01:04 AM
cheers.

scotty

to me looks like Caribbean Catalina or sedan bit hard to say just from looking at photo

myway

Lovey80
16-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Nice old Hull that one, there's no way on earth I would pay 5500 for a 2000 model Ficht with 800 hours. That old girl derves a nice nig four stroke on her!

CHeers
Chris

GBC
16-01-2010, 06:18 AM
That is the Carribean Riviera hull (The rivierras were the half cab version).

suzygs1000
10-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Hi,

Have a gander at the attached pic.

I am not quite sure of the year, I was in Cooktown from 68 to 73, and I think it was probably taken in 70 0r 71.

The boat is a Carribean Cougar 16 footer.

A guy, who you older members may remember, by the name of Hans Holstrup drove this boat solo around Australia from Sydney to Sydney in the early 70's.

He also, in more recent times, drove a Haines fitted out with a honda outboard to Japan from Australia solo.

I think it is testament to how these old Carribeans handled.

At the time, I had a late 60's Carribean Sea Sprite which was 13 foot 6 inches (about 3.9 metres i think)... I went out to most of the reefs out of cooktown in this for a few years, and even compared to todays boats, it was an absolute little gem in seas up to about a metre.

As an aside, Hans stated on his arrival in Cooktown that the worst seas he had encountered since leaving Sydney were those from Cape Tribulation to Cooktown. He said they were 2 metres high and 2 metres apart!

I aways swore that one day I would own a Carribean Cougar, but unfortunately never did.

Up the old Carribeans!!!!!

Dave.

Eric03
10-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks Dave, very much appreciated.

The hull of that cougar is identical to the model I have... the only main difference i can see is the top half of the hull (is there a technical name for it?).

ozscott
10-02-2010, 08:11 PM
topsides?

Cheers

GBC
10-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi,

Have a gander at the attached pic.

I am not quite sure of the year, I was in Cooktown from 68 to 73, and I think it was probably taken in 70 0r 71.

The boat is a Carribean Cougar 16 footer.

A guy, who you older members may remember, by the name of Hans Holstrup drove this boat solo around Australia from Sydney to Sydney in the early 70's.

He also, in more recent times, drove a Haines fitted out with a honda outboard to Japan from Australia solo.

I think it is testament to how these old Carribeans handled.

At the time, I had a late 60's Carribean Sea Sprite which was 13 foot 6 inches (about 3.9 metres i think)... I went out to most of the reefs out of cooktown in this for a few years, and even compared to todays boats, it was an absolute little gem in seas up to about a metre.

As an aside, Hans stated on his arrival in Cooktown that the worst seas he had encountered since leaving Sydney were those from Cape Tribulation to Cooktown. He said they were 2 metres high and 2 metres apart!

I aways swore that one day I would own a Carribean Cougar, but unfortunately never did.

Up the old Carribeans!!!!!

Dave.

A technical point but important (since the Haines boys didn't want us sig owners in their appreciation thread :'(:'() Hans drove a 542 Signature from Darwin to Japan.

He's still going - he did the economy run for the DMAX not long ago (Broken hill to Warwick on one tank or some bloody thing)