PDA

View Full Version : HDS 5X update from 5M ??

lee8sec
13-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Has anyone done a software update on a HDS5X(SOUNDER) from a HDS5X (GPS).

The lowance update info says :

You will need an additional HDS unit with an SD card tray connected via the ethernet port to update the HDS-5x. Be sure to update the HDS with the SD card tray first before updating the HDS-5x.

Place the MMC/SD card containing the updated operating software in the SD card tray of the second HDS unit connected via ethernet.
Press PAGES.
Rotate the pages menu to Utilities and select Files. Press ENTER.
Select memory card and press ENTER.All good except there is NO "Utilities" section if you press PAGES.
Anyone know how? Thanks Leigh

lee8sec
13-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Ok, found the utilities screen, still wont work as described, it didnt show update file on SD card but the card just did the 5m update. Leigh

Grand_Marlin
14-01-2010, 07:11 AM
G'day Lee,

Are you sorted?

I did my 5x - 5m ok.

Cheers

Pete

lee8sec
14-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Went for a fish today, so now its a tomorrow job Pete, will let you know how i go :-/ Leigh

G'day Lee,

Are you sorted?

I did my 5x - 5m ok.

Cheers

Pete

lee8sec
16-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Pete, wont work. The 5M knows the memory card is in but wont open it.
The 5M will update from the same SD card if i put it in before startup.
Any idea's ? Thanks Leigh

Grand_Marlin
16-01-2010, 09:20 PM
What brand of card Leigh?

lee8sec
17-01-2010, 06:46 AM
SanDisk 2GB SD . Leigh

What brand of card Leigh?

Grand_Marlin
19-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Thats good - card is the right card.

Now, I assume you have already done some of this, but to recap:

Make sure the software update is version 2.5.31.56 on the card.
It is preferable that you have no other information on the card.

Put the sd card in the HDS 5m and turn the unit on. The HDS 5m automatically starts the update.

When it has finished, remove the card and press power to reboot.

Now turn on the HDS 5x

Put the card back in the 5m

Then from the instructions: (there is no utilities screen, it is the waypoints, files etc screen)

Rotate the pages menu to Utilities and select Files. Press ENTER.
Select memory card and press ENTER.
Highlight the software update file on the card and press ENTER. A message will appear giving you the option to upgrade "this unit" or a "remote" unit.
Select remote and press ENTER.
On the HDS-5x, press the POWER key while holding the up arrow key until the update starts.
When the update is complete, press the POWER key to restart the HDS-5x. Wait until the unit has restarted before removing the SD card from the HDS unit with the card slot.Cheers

Pete

lee8sec
20-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Pete, thanks for your help. I have had no internet for the last 8hrs so hadnt seen your reply but have fixed it while waiting on the ISP repair.

The problem was the SD card, why it worked for the first update & not the second i don't know. I used a 1GB OLIN SD card loaded the update to it, plugged it in & the data was showing so i followed the instructions & updated the 5X ok.

One to put in the memory bank for the future.

Once again thanks for your help. Leigh

Grand_Marlin
20-01-2010, 09:53 PM
No problems Leigh, more than happy to help.

Thats why I asked about the card. The SanDisk is usually quite ok.
How / why some brands won't work with certain SD cards is beyond me :-/

Raymarine are the fussiest.

Cheers

Pete

lee8sec
29-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Took it out today for the first time after the update, no temp & kept getting "no gps" warning. Not bad for a sounder only ::) unit.
Gave it the "reset to default setting" fixed it up but now shown Feet & temp in F, so will need to reset them.

Have to say the bottom view/ fish & the arti reef showed up better than before in auto mode, as was one of the upgrade fixes.

Frustrating but getting there. Leigh

Grand_Marlin
31-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Leigh,

When you look on the website, there are separate downloads for each unit.
Basically they are all the same, but th e5x is different ... doesn't have the additional GPS info in the program.

No big deal, looks like you are on to it.

Cheers,

Pete

honda900
04-02-2010, 03:59 PM
SD cards have gone through some changes over the last few years to get higher capacity and higher throughput.

Older SD Card readers are not able to address the information on the cards because they simply dont understand how to read them.

The 1gb Sandisk cards seem to be the most reliable (in my hds unit) however I have experimented with several other cards, the Sandisk 2gb standard density card works in the unit, but, I need to insert and eject the card a number of times for it to be recognised, once recognised it is is fine and can be left in the unit, this could be just a card reader issue but I suspect not.

I have found the SDHC (high capacity) sandisk and third party brand cards not to work in my unit at all. My assumption from this is that the card reader installed in the HDS units is an older model and not able to deal with the new cards. The cards work fine in late model SD card readers but not in older versions, I have verified this.

Hope that explains why you may be having some difficulties with the cards.

Just one other thing to add to Petes comments, when you have finished the update, take the SD card back to your computer and reformat it. This will ensure that the card is blank again and will save you from having a heart attack when you are offshore and you restart your unit with your card in, it does reload the software again from the card. :o

Regards
Honda.