PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable?

HeadBanger
13-01-2010, 12:52 PM
G'day all,

I'm looking for a little inflatable boat, or a small fiberglass dinghy. I am looking for something that can be powered by either an electric motor, or a motor that is 4hp and under, as I am not old enough to get a boat license yet.

My budget is limited to around $1000, but I would be much happier buying something second hand for a bit cheaper. I have seen a few decent looking inflatables on eBay for around $500 without a motor as well.

Assuming that I do look get an inflatable, should I be looking for one with a solid aluminium/timber floor, or fully inflatable?

Thanks in advance,
Kaidon:freak:

on-one
13-01-2010, 01:09 PM
The floor is really a matter of personal preference I had an aluminium floor in my last one and it was good for handling crabpots as you could just throw them on the floor but it got hot in the sun. My new one has an inflatable floor, it's more comfortable to sit on but is more delicate - although they're simple enough to patch. For $1k I'd try to get something 2.7-3 metres with a 4hp 2 stroke, and remember you'll need some cash for lifejackets anchor and other safety gear. Boats that size will also take a bigger outboard so when you get your licence you could sell your outboard and stick something bigger on.

cormorant
14-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Rego requirement is about motor size and lic is about speed you are doing.

Not sure how you are going to transport it but possibly give up on the inflatable idea. Thet are Ok if you need to roll them up ad store them but a cheap tinny will last you many more years and keep it's value for when you want to sell or upgrade. Inflatables and rodks or oysters don't mix and the materials they are made of gradually deterioate in teh sun and with wear. Best thing about inflatables is that you can sit on the sides - worst thing is 90% leak either air or water.

If you are not going to get a boat that will plane with the HP you are thinking consider one of the litle 2hp 4 stroke hondas as they are air cooled and have no maintainance or water pumps etc. Just change the oil

Blueroo
14-01-2010, 06:05 PM
We have a 4 metre inflatable with a 30hp Tohatsu donk. Its great fun to use and really easy to launch retrieve. We use a trailer which makes it really easy.
I wont get into the tinny versus inflatable thing. Its just a matter of getting what suits you. Ive had mainly big glass boats then went to a big tinny then downsized to the inflatable.
We use it a lot more that the other boats because its easy to use and cheap to run. They are nice and quiet too for fishing (no noisy banging or wave noises on the hull to scare the fish away).
We have a canopy, hand held marine vhf, colour sounder and gps so have a fighting chance at finding a fish or two (occasionally) and not getting too sunburnt.
Its just a matter of keeping it covered when not in use to stop any sun damage, staying away from oyster beds and using common sense.
No air leaks and no water in the boat. Very happy with it.
Cheers
Stue

grey_inflatable
14-01-2010, 09:06 PM
hi mate i have had a few inflatables and love them i have had my one wash up onto mud island while exploring on it i thought it would have been a right off but not even one hole. my first one was a ex navy and it was over 20 years old. i like the way they handle mine has a 30 on the back we do jumps in other boats wakes my most fav thing is while going flat tack about 50ks i throw it into a full turn as fast as i can and it just sits flat the boys love it. my cousin got on similar to what you are after it worked a treat to get out to the trawlers to get a big bag of prawns last time we were at Moreton good luck

P.s do you have a car how will you be getting to the water roof racks trailer. if you will need your parents to drive i would go for something that they can drop you off easily and something that is not going to stuff there car

bennykenny
14-01-2010, 09:29 PM
if i was you i would look around for a second hand tinny around 3 meters without a trailer you can pick them up pretty cheap, grab some clamp on wheels and a second hand motor under 6hp no need for licence, thats all you need for where you are fishing and it will last years.good luck