PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Offshore Jan 2010

Schuey
13-01-2010, 08:46 AM
The trip was on and off until the last minute with unpredictable weather around at the start of the new year. But 1st Jan came and we headed to Orchid for a week's fishing. There was Cory the skipper, Tom (Old Bull), his son Nathan (Young Bull) and myself. Young and Old bull were relatively new to offshore fishing but ended up showing up the skipper and myself with enthusiasm and results. Over the 5 days fishing we had alot of problems with sharks. Alot of the time we could see the fish (and the shark for that matter) on the furuno, but could not get them up past him. At one stage, while one of us was getting sharked, young bull was hit by a legal red throat and dropped the tyrnos into the drink. Quick as a flash he's jumped in and somehow grabbed the end of the butt and got the rig back, including the fish. I dont think old bull ever got over that. He was more worried than the young fella. So, we kept moving and went a bit wider and found some great pinnacles that were holding good fish but the sharks were still there. Couldn't complain, we ended up with a good feed and the two best reds went 9.4 kg and 10.3 kg which opened the red accounts for father and son. Skipper also landed a good spangly pictured. Cant wait till next trip.

Schuey

Te Whiti
13-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Hahah, I love the dedication from Young Bull to have no qualms about jumping in the drink to get his rod back....that's fantastic

Many people, experienced or not in offshore fishing wouldnt have done that.

Nice Spangled to Cory as well.... How did that Cleaver go in the tacklebox, usefull?

Mark

bondy99
13-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Good post, nice fish to be had, bummer about the sharks, I reckon if there were any small buggers out there they would make a good feed especially small bronzies and reef sharks.

Peter

littlemac
13-01-2010, 05:00 PM
thats a great catch you guys got.

thanks for the report

cheers

brett

Dean1
13-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Nice catch there lads yummy tuskies and the likes. Ha ha thats a classic getting his rod back, I have to say id do the same thing but gee you have to be quick!!!

Good chewing there enjoy them ;)

Cheers Deano...

Schuey
14-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Mark the cleaver was brought mainly for the rib cages on reds or any other decent sized fish and it was a treat. No more need for the side cutters which we used to use on big ribs.

Deano - he was in the briny quick smart. And i'm still amazed he grabbed it as the weight of the tyrnos and a good fish would have sent it south pretty quick.

Schuey

Spot82
14-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeh sharks can be thick up that way especially when you are fishing big structure! They particularly like the reds too!!

Some nice red throats and gold spots there btw, well done!

Thanks for the report and pics

Anthony

TCSunCoast
14-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Great to see Fraser still performing. Shame the sharks are still there.

Good trip though, well done.

Tony